Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Salem , Virginia
1991 Excella 1000 - New Radio need wiring help!

Good Afternoon All,

I'm in the process of installing a new Alpine iDA-X303 Digital Media Receiver in my 1991 Excella 1000 34' replacing the original JVC Cassette player. I just to put stereo's in my car back in the day but I'm having trouble figuring out the Airstream wiring even though I have the owners manual.

I was afraid to do to much in fear of damaging the new unit so I'm looking to you all for some help! I've scanned the wiring diagram from the owners manual along with information on the new unit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Original Radio Wiring Diagram

New Alpine Wiring
jbbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 05:54 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Wainscott , New York
Wiring

I’m having the same issue. Any luck??
Juris42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 08:10 PM   #3
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Your wiring diagram scan links do not appear to work.

I've got a 1994 Excella and the wiring was pretty straightforward. The first thing I did was search the internet for a wiring diagram from the original radio in the trailer to identify which wires were which. Then I compared the existing radio diagram with my Excella's wiring diagram to make sure things lined up.

I don't have my trailer nearby to double check, but I believe that I had the following wires actually being used:

Front right speaker pos
Front right speaker neg
Front left speaker pos
Front left speaker neg
Rear right speaker pos
Rear right speaker neg
Rear left speaker pos
Rear left speaker neg
12vdc+
12vdc-
Antenna

The original radio had some wires which were not used, and your new one will as well.

With regard to the speakers, make a note of how the neg & pos are connected. They may look to be interchangeable on first glance, but there is a strip/groove/indicator of some type to distinguish between the two wires. All your speakers need to have the same marking on the pos and the same marking on the neg.

Once you've properly labeled all the wires in your current setup, you can begin dismantling things.

On your new radio you'll need to find the corresponding wires and get them connected to the same places as your old radio. Then there may be a few additional wires to connect since the newer radios often times have more.

On mine there was a wire to power the backlighting. It was put to the same place as the main 12vdc+ power feed. On a car it would go to the headlight circuit, but you don't have one of those.

There were also two power feeds on my new radio - one was supposed to be connected to an always on circuit and the other to a circuit controlled by the ignition key. On my trailer I connected both the the same place since there is no ignition key circuit.

The most troublesome wire on my new radio was the parking brake sensor wire. It is intended to prevent drivers from making some settings changes while the vehicle is in motion. There is no parking brake on a trailer, so I needed to find a workaround. On many radios you can simply connect this wire to either a 12v+ or a 12v- depending on the particular radio's requirements. On others, like mine, you need to get a small $20 module to install between the wire and the proper connection point. This module mimics the signal which would be generated by a car when the parking brake was applied. I got my module from a local car stereo install shop. Don't bother trying to find one at Best Buy or another box store - this is something that you'll find at the neighborhood install shop or possibly eBay.

One last thing I did on my install was to install a master on/off toggle switch. The newer radios have much more phantom power consumption than the old ones did. They can discharge your batteries in a week or so easily. I use this toggle to prevent the phantom draw when we are between trips or if we are doing extreme boondocking and trying to extend our battery life. Yes, it means resetting the memorized stations, but since we have to do that in each new city it doesn't really matter to me. Strangely, my radio maintains the bluetooth connections when the toggle is off even though it forgets the radio stations.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 07:07 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Wainscott , New York
1991 excella radio wiring help

Ok thank you this is helpful, the only problem I have is the cluster wasn’t attached to work backward. I’ve included a pic of the cluster. Thanks for
Your prompt reply to this, I haven’t been able to find anything on the web or in my owners book.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8454A3BE-09C3-4985-8568-DD3D9CEDF9E5.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	425794  
Juris42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 07:33 AM   #5
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Not having the old head makes it a bit more difficult, but not insurmountable.

Your manual hopefully has a wiring diagram with a table showing which wire is which. On that bundle of 10 wires, one is 12v+, one 12v-, and the other eight speaker wires. You can identify the 12v+ using your multimeter. Same for the 12v-.

Here's the table from my 1994 Excella. Maybe it's the same as yours, maybe not. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221128_162941_OneDrive.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	425795
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote