Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2010, 07:36 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Modified sine wave inverters make very dirty AC with a waveform that contains a series of steps rather than a true sine wave. To a lightbulb it's just current that makes heat, and any 100 watt lightbulb can get hot enough to make light on quite small currents. Your TV, however, is looking for a nice clean sine wave to downconvert, rectify and smooth, and a modified sine wave is hard to downconvert, easy to rectify and hard to smooth. This puts enough noise into the final result to stop most electronic devices from working.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:59 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Invertor/12v tv

Lumatic

I did not buy a 12v combo unit because the dvd player seems to be the weak link, and I believe it is best to keep the tv and dvd player separate. I plan to use my computer or a portable dvd player to watch movies on the 12v Vizio.

My generic 400 watt invertor runs my tv just fine (even though I don't need it now). I did use it a few times before I had my 12v power supply source in place. But this is one of the advantages to the Vizio 12v tv- no invertor needed period.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:27 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
We bought a 32" Flat screen TV a couple of years ago for our home. It's a Sanyo. You can warm a small room with the heat coming from this unit. I haven't pulled the TV out of the cabinet to look at the label, but I'd bet they all have the power consumed. ie WATTS on the nameplate. One might be able to use this info in making your decision and get a rough idea of the load on the house batteries. The label on the "brick" will also show the wattage rating.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:33 AM   #24
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicGuy View Post
I am going to add a Television in the bedroom area. From what I have read, it seems a 12v unit is the best choice. Or is it? I am wondering how long you can realistically power a 19" LCD TV from the batteries. It seems almost like the two balance out in the end. If I wanted to watch the tv couldnt I get an inverter? I have read several posts here on the forums, and have googled 12V Televisions. The selection is not very good. And they are pricey for what you get. What is the current general consensus on this?
hi 'guy....

consensus? here? shirley u jest.

jensen (and audiovox) advertises that their 12v boxes are BETTER BUILT for this application...

with more goop on the circuitry and more resilience to weather/vibration/salt and so on...

maybe this is true, maybe not.

search out in webspace for 'marine tvz' and u will find a bunch of info...

HERE these threads may help...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...ion-30145.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...ion-31763.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...ter-41172.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
...The Sharp draws 60 watts. I have a generic 400 watt modified sine wave inverter. It won't run my TV but will run a 100 watt light bulb. Anybody know why not?
many variables 2 fluster your system from battery and wiring and onward.

imo there are NO PROBLEMS using small mod/sine wave inverters...

but size them approximately to the load/needs...

so try a 150w or 100w with that small tv load.

the tvz have a brick (some now built IN) which cleans up the juice b4 converting to dc again...

picture quality, longevity and hours of viewing have all been great 4 years...

not REAL efficient but as bryan suggests at these small drawz, don't sweat a few % of INefficiency.

the inverter u are currently using MAY have issues related to the battery/source...

so yer light bulb may be ON but not making 100 w o'light.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v