Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2021, 02:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Water softner

I spent a week in Alamogordo, NM. The water was the hardest I have ever seen. I am having difficulty clean the hard water stains out of my stainless sink. Going to pick up some CLR today. Are you guys doing anything to soften water?
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
No, you need ion exchange for that. There are some small units intended for car washing enthusiasts, but you have to discard resin and replace it when testing tells you it is exhausted.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 04:05 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
The water is pretty hard here in Tucson as well. Normal stainless steel cleaner/polish works just fine for us - it's the same stuff we use at home.
McStreamy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 06:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
I have no direct experience on your question but a quick internet search for RV water softener system pointed to many.

If you try these out, let us how it works out.

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 06:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Consider some polishing compound to clean the sink. It will take the stains out nicely. then follow up with some stainless sink care product or furniture polish. Will look good as new.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 06:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
I use an RV water softener. Mine is the "On the Go" model, but there are others. It connects in-line with your hose when you fill up, or when you connect to a shore water supply.

To regenerate it, you open the top and dump in a standard 26oz container of table salt. The cylindrical cardboard one. Doesn't need to be iodized, but iodine doesn't hurt anything. Just get what's cheap. Should run you about 50 cents a pop. Then you run the water slowly for 10-15 minutes, then rinse, and you're good to go.

As far as determining when you need to regenerate, you need to monitor with test strips. You'll get a feel for how often you need to regenerate and then test less often. I can feel the difference when I wash my hands or shower if I waited too long.

When you move to a new area, the chemistry will change and you'll need to change the frequency of regeneration accordingly. For my full time use, I'm regenerating every couple of months in most places. The worst water I've encountered was around Quartzsite, when I had to regenerate every other fill (!).

An RV water softener will also remove dissolved iron, which is especially helpful if you chlorinate your tanks. (Chlorine will cause dissolved iron to drop out of solution in the tank.) I keep my tanks chlorinated to kill any bacteria in the water supply and to generally keep my tanks clean. Then I filter out the chlorine with a 0.5 micron carbon block immediately after my pump, which is also rated for protozoan cysts. I used to do commercial water treatment for a living, and I've seen too many campground water reports to trust what comes out of the faucet.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 06:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
We got an "On The Go" brand water filter when we spent several months living and volunteering at Kartchner Caverns State Park (gee, who would ever guess they have hard water where there is a giant limestone cave?). It does work. Since then, we use it a lot, even sometimes on an overnight stop.

At Kartchner, we did not get stains in the sink. What tipped us off to the hard water was unusual crackling noises coming from the water heater.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 07:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatleys View Post
I use an RV water softener. Mine is the "On the Go" model, but there are others. It connects in-line with your hose when you fill up, or when you connect to a shore water supply.

To regenerate it, you open the top and dump in a standard 26oz container of table salt. The cylindrical cardboard one. Doesn't need to be iodized, but iodine doesn't hurt anything. Just get what's cheap. Should run you about 50 cents a pop. Then you run the water slowly for 10-15 minutes, then rinse, and you're good to go.

As far as determining when you need to regenerate, you need to monitor with test strips. You'll get a feel for how often you need to regenerate and then test less often. I can feel the difference when I wash my hands or shower if I waited too long.

When you move to a new area, the chemistry will change and you'll need to change the frequency of regeneration accordingly. For my full time use, I'm regenerating every couple of months in most places. The worst water I've encountered was around Quartzsite, when I had to regenerate every other fill (!).

An RV water softener will also remove dissolved iron, which is especially helpful if you chlorinate your tanks. (Chlorine will cause dissolved iron to drop out of solution in the tank.) I keep my tanks chlorinated to kill any bacteria in the water supply and to generally keep my tanks clean. Then I filter out the chlorine with a 0.5 micron carbon block immediately after my pump, which is also rated for protozoan cysts. I used to do commercial water treatment for a living, and I've seen too many campground water reports to trust what comes out of the faucet.

Do you drink the water? I usually just stock up on Spring water. I sanitize my tank with 1/2 cup of bleach every season and religiously use the Camco taste pure filter. Thanks for the info on the “On the Go”. I’m going to place my order.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
Do you drink the water? I usually just stock up on Spring water. I sanitize my tank with 1/2 cup of bleach every season and religiously use the Camco taste pure filter. Thanks for the info on the “On the Go”. I’m going to place my order.
Yes I drink the water from my tanks. After softening, chlorinating, and carbon filtering all of my water, I use a Zerowater pitcher to finish my drinking water. The chlorine plus carbon filter should be enough by itself, but I like an extra layer of protection just in case.

Worth noting, the dissolved solids are so high in Quartzsite that you pretty much have to buy separate drinking water there. The Zerowater pitcher will fix Quartzsite water, but the shorter life of the filters makes it cheaper to buy bottled water.

There are still risks with having bacteria in your tanks even if you don't drink the water (for instance, Legionnaire's disease). That's why I have chlorine in my water 100% of the time.
Old 01-11-2021, 06:49 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
3X the "On-the-Go" softener. Works well for us and is easy to regenerate.
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 07:33 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Sorry, I did not know those things existed for RV's, that is with regenerable resins. Looks like the drawback with very hard water is that you are going to be regenerating often.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 08:18 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I use an Amerisoft unit. Pretty compact, works well...but unfortunately they were a cottage company and no longer in business. I use when i note hard water in travels. It is a 200 gallon unit (before regen) and even in the hardest conditions, that's accurate.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 08:24 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I got a really good water filter. Then I hook it up on the water intake to the water softener. Made a big difference. I did this primarily to stop residue from plugging up the hot water heater filters on the valve sensor. We don’t drink the water from the campgrounds. We buy bottled water in a jug. But the water softner makes a hug difference in keeping the fixtures clean and makes for better showers.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 08:41 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Here's a map of water hardness by the USGS
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:40 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Here's a map of water hardness by the USGS
Could you give the link? Need that in my bookmark camping folder so I know when to pre-emptively drag out the softener while traveling.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:09 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Which of the "On the go's" did you go with?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 11.09.16 AM.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	386744  
Old 01-11-2021, 10:16 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Could you give the link? Need that in my bookmark camping folder so I know when to pre-emptively drag out the softener while traveling.
Right-click on the image, and then click 'search Google for image', and you can find where the image came from....

https://www.usgs.gov/special-topic/w...center_objects
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:37 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
Which of the "On the go's" did you go with?
I have the smaller one on the left. Might be worth it for the fatter one in the middle if you're often in a very hard water area or you're hooked up to shore water.

For my use, portability is more important than capacity. Your needs might be different than mine.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:45 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
We got the larger On-The-Go in the middle. We also use it with our power washer to clean the AS. Leaves the surface spot-free.
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:12 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatleys View Post

How do you go about chlorinating the water? Do you have a unit that is inline on the inlet hose similar to the water softener? If so, what is the name of the unit? Hose would go into the chlorinator, then carbon filter, then water softener?