Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2020, 03:28 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbeard View Post
Thanks very much - hearing the real-use stories is very helpful.

From what I understand the microwavecannot be used without shore power, is that true of the convection oven as well?
Yes that's true of both a regular microwave and a convection/microwave combo; shore power or a generator (or an extensive solar/lithium battery setup) is required.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2017 F250 4x4 6.7 max tow Platinum
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:29 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waitsfield , Vermont
Send a message via AIM to Vermontmary
Simple!

We have a propane oven in our 25 foot Flying Cloud, as well as the combo convection/microwave. I use the oven pretty often, but its main virtue is that it doesnít need hook ups, so if weíre boondocking and itís raining, itís easy to cook dinner! Ours came with both, and Iím glad I didnít have to choose which to have, as you never know until you try it! We use the over the fridge (not ideal placement!) as storage, but are glad to have it when we need it. It takes a while to learn how to Use the combo, but then itís easy peasy!
Vermontmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:34 PM   #23
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Traditional oven for us as we rarely camp with an electrical hookup. I've made friends with the smaller propane oven after a little trail and error and nothing beats freshly baked cinnamon rolls in the morning!

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:23 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
I like a gas oven, works everywhere, when traveling, we never know if we will have hookups, And we have used the oven a few times when at home and the power was out
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:56 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
I'm going to jump on the combo bandwagon. We've had our AS since 2013 and not once have we ever missed the oven. But we use our microwave/convection oven every time we travel. We also have an outdoor grill.
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:35 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I would have to say that if you are unsure, then think about if you had to make this choice in your home kitchen.

We like the gas oven very much. We can use the catering foil pans for easy meals when boondocking. We also use the microwave some, but not enough to need the convection on it.

If you plan to only camp in 90 degree weather you probably would prefer the microwave.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:05 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Glendale , California
Oven Options - What was your criteria?

Iím a real outlier here. We had 2 airstreams with micros that because of where we camp were rarely used. One, I actually removed to get a little extra storage space. Our current FC has a gas oven that is very easy to ignite; itís a little small, so Iíve got my eye on a Furrion setup. We use our camp chef and O-grill, too.
MomcatA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:38 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
tucson , Arizona
we have the microwave/convection and like it, and we have learned to use the convection to bake/roast. Before our last trip I experimented at home with our Stok propane grill, and I have figured how to bake bread, pizza on a stone, or deep dish cast iron meals in it. I toss a little mesquite in there and it adds a nice flavor to a bread bole'.

It doesn't heat up the camper, and it's a great excuse to hang out on the patio with an adult beverage!
dvgofaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:04 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
I have both. The convection/MW takes some getting used to. I like the heat of the gas oven better. But often use both at the same time. They are kinda small.

Many people I know really don't cook. They just warm up something they made at home for the trip. If that is you the convection/microwave it for you.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:06 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Middletown , Ohio
Oven Debate

We have a combo convection micro at home and rarely use the convection ... probably 3-4 times in 2-1/2 years. We use our larger oven's convection feature often ... in winter months when we serve larger groups for dinner. Our International has a standard gas cooktop with oven and a microwave. We don't use the gas oven that often, but it comes in handy when we do. We lived in our Airstream for 6 months and only used the oven about once a month. Now, we typically use it when boon docking such as when we go to National Parks, but that's not exclusive. The gas cooktop is a must. I can say cooking a comfort food casserole in the oven while at the Smokies with no hook-ups on a cold night is wonderful. It warms the camper and the body.

In the end, it's more about how you want to cook. For us its mostly the two of us when in our Airstream. We can cook a small chicken, pork loin roast, etc. on our Cobb grill. We have a large BTU Camp Chef stove that we use all the time because it's more fun and cleaner to cook outside. When we have electric, we use the microwave frequently to soften, re-heat, pre-cook, etc. and sometimes to cook quickly with less mess for a quick meal (ie: bacon, scrambled eggs).

How you cook will also dictate what cookware you carry, which to some can make a difference too. We have parred down to one 10" cast iron skillet with a lid, a combo cast iron dutch oven, two small stainless saucepans with lid, a 6qt stainless pot, and one 9x11 pyrex baking dish. Much larger stuff won't fit well on any cooktop. It all stacks nicely under the sink. We started with more, but found these were what we used. We can bake with the dutch oven or pyrex. We can use the top of the dutch oven for a shallow skillet.

I say if you are always at sites with electric and enjoy using a small convection oven (and they are usually pretty small), go for it. If you don't do much oven cooking and want versatility, go with a regular gas oven. I have seen some that opted for both. You will likely adapt either way.
RJKSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:15 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Port Arthur , Texas
Our first TT just has the conv. / microwave and it worked great. But boy could we burn a pan of brownies in it. Our current has a three burner with an oven and then just a plan microwave above. I moved the microwave to the outside kitchen because we needed the cabinet space more. So I run outside to make our popcorn. I have to say the oven does a better job of cheese toast and pizza then the micro/conv. did. Everyone here makes some good points. Good luck and stay safe.
Cmjmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:18 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Rogers , AR
Our Keystone trailer had a gas oven. On our way to Banff and back we would pull over in rest stops or Wal-Mart parking lots at night. EVERY morning I would make french press coffee and biscuits using the propane oven/stove. This also helped heat the inside of the trailer while we were getting ready/showering before taking off. It was great.

Our Airstream only has the convection setup. We can only use it while plugged in, it doesn't heat the cabin and we have yet to successfully cook ANYTHING in it. I've got a new Furrion propane oven on order.

We tried to order an Atwood oven from Gander/Camping World but the order was canceled. Right now your options are limited to what you can actually get.
2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S 550hp/553tq
2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 5.3L built 4L60e, 40k Tru-cool
Mr. Merk is offline   Reply With Quote