Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2013, 03:46 PM   #1
Growing old but not up

1972 29' Ambassador
St. Louis , Missouri
Old or New

Restoring a 72' Ambassador. Should I reinstall the refurbished and working original stove or a Dometic P18822S drop-in stove purchased thru eBay. Trying to stay as original as possible but I only use four burners on Thanksgiving!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	196313   Click image for larger version

Name:	dometic drop in.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	196314  

riskstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
1962 22' Safari
1961 16' Bambi
Philly burbs , PA
Are you restoring or renovating the rest of the AS? If not, go for it!
surfpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Why would anyone want to stay original? I can't figure this out.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielB View Post
:-)

Different strokes/folks.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
I think it adds more interest and character to the rig. That said, It needs to be neat and as new looking as possible if being redone. Consider how people clammer to get those old stoves in their homes to create a kitchen centerpiece or bring in an old jukebox in a family room.

Updated wiring, electronics are important but the surface nostalgia is great if you are OK with it. Heck it's your trailer and you can pick what you will use.

One of the highlights of my rally experience was seeing the vintage units inside and out. If I were handy and had somewhere to work, I would like to work on a Caravelle or Bambi unit.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Mine was a rhetorical reply.. meaning.. think about why you would want to remain original.. if you dont have a really good reason.. I like older pieces and what not.. but most of the old interiors are overblown and/or just ugly, IMHO.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
Growing old but not up

1972 29' Ambassador
St. Louis , Missouri
All the cards on the table

This is the first time owning an A/S but I have been around them when I was a lot younger. Started looking this spring and after crossing a few state borders looking at what was available we finally found this 72. The price was right. Just ninety miles from our home. It was the year we got married. It was the perfect storm. The plan is to restore it, sell it and buy one just a little bit smaller (25' or 27'). Everything works. Some wood rot in a few places but for forty-one years nothing serious. Looking at next spring for a sale (after a few trips taken). My question is with most everything in the trailer being original AND working should I add a few modern conveniences as work progresses or leave it in a state of originality. So many reasons to go in either direction. I think I'll put the new stove in and throw in the old stove for the new owners to sort out.
Help me decide.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
In a situation like this I believe that if the interior is in reasonably good shape.. leave it. New owner may not like your changes. I'd make sure everything works and is clean and smells good.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
, Ohio
Every time we go camping, we seem to use our oven. I used a high temp glossy engine paint to restore it. Looks like new.
thomdial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
I just went through this with our old oven. It worked well for a couple of trips and then started leaking. I got it fixed, and it leaked worse, another fix and the oven was either off or 600 degrees... that was scary to figure out. It turns out that you can't rebuild an old range because of mercury in the valves. I tried everything online, rebuilt, NOS, there was nothing... The old range was a little funky looking, but worked well. I was told in no uncertain terms that we were not getting a used range (I also had a second identical to the first, so I had spare parts) so I looked at the new ones. The best seemed to be Atwood.. but I had a heck of a time ordering the precise one I wanted, then I stumbled onto Sure Marine Service, Inc. | Seaward Propane Galley Ranges

I got a Princess three burner, and I love the range and the oven, the way its made.. More expensive but it's got some great safety devices that the RV models don't have.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #11
Growing old but not up

1972 29' Ambassador
St. Louis , Missouri
Original it is!

I'll add the new stove to the next one but for now I'm sticking with an original theme.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	196466  
Old 09-27-2013, 10:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Is that the original cook top then? It looks great... and you have a separate oven? nice!