Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Appliance Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2006, 07:09 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Angel73
Question in need of a repair person

I need to find a repairs person.That will come to my home and service my A/S.I would like to get my air cond,fridge charged and clean.I want to have my water heater,stove,fridge and the heater service and cleaned and all the things not sure of the name That makes them all light replaced...We don't have any dealers around here at all.Everything run off either gas or electric and i want all parts cleaned and services.Nothing but the fridge was ever used..We have tested them and the do work.I just would like them to last us for awhile...Can anyone point me in the right directions? We would try this ourself but the part,we would problem never beable to track down..plus my husband has a temper and if he get ticked.I wouldnt know where to begin to put it all back togethe. Iam real close to dover and clarksville an hr from nashville and kentucky.If anyone knows someone..
Old 05-01-2006, 07:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Angel,
Many RV repair facilities should be able to work on your appliances. It doesn't necessarily have to be an Airstream repair facility. Find out the make/model, and start calling around.
Good luck.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:53 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Thats would help but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger
Angel,
Many RV repair facilities should be able to work on your appliances. It doesn't necessarily have to be an Airstream repair facility. Find out the make/model, and start calling around.
Good luck.
We dont have anyone thats repairs or sells anything for A/S around here.Thats my problem...The one that is on the otherside of town wont touch it.Because thats not what they sell...
Old 05-01-2006, 11:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel73
Thats my problem...The one that is on the otherside of town wont touch it.Because thats not what they sell...
Tell me about it. When I first got my 68 AS I went to a RV repair shop that was less than a mile away from my house and asked him if he would inspect and repack the bearings. He looked at me like I just asked him to perform brain surgery.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:14 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
yeap

Yeah they act like i was speaking greek or something...lol
Old 05-01-2006, 07:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Even some Airstream dealers treat vintage trailer owners as if they are not going to be buying new any time soon, therefore why should they even attempt to service them. And other Airstream dealers are wonderful -- you don't know what you have until you check them out. There are usually going to be some RV folks that understand wheel bearings & your major systems are quite similar to ordinary SOB trailers. Might need to check a few places out -- unless this thread stays alive on the chance that somebody from your area comes up with a local recommendation... Best of luck!

Coming to your house? I don't know about that...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
I need to find a repairs person.That will come to my home and service my A/S.I would like to get my air cond,fridge charged and clean.I want to have my water heater,stove,fridge and the heater service and cleaned and all the things not sure of the name That makes them all light replaced...We don't have any dealers around here at all.Everything run off either gas or electric and i want all parts cleaned and services.Nothing but the fridge was ever used..We have tested them and the do work.I just would like them to last us for awhile...Can anyone point me in the right directions? We would try this ourself but the part,we would problem never beable to track down..plus my husband has a temper and if he get ticked.I wouldnt know where to begin to put it all back togethe. Iam real close to dover and clarksville an hr from nashville and kentucky.If anyone knows someone..
Angel,

I would be glad to stop by and take care of your service issues......but it's a little far for me to drive (like 1000 miles) for a service call and besides, the travel time charges would kill you . Seriously, I might be headed right past you on my annual trip out West at the end of May. I usually travel thru Nashville and Clarksville on the way to St. Louis and points West. If you are interested, PM me and we can possibly make some tentative arrangements .
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Re-charging the A/C and Fridge

And by the way, don't let anyone tell you that they are going to 'recharge' your air conditioner or refrigerator. Those appliances in an RV do NOT get re-charged!
Old 05-01-2006, 07:43 PM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
And by the way, don't let anyone tell you that they are going to 'recharge' your air conditioner or refrigerator. Those appliances in an RV do NOT get re-charged!
Lew,
I take exception at that statement. I agree with the fridge not really being rechargeable. But the old Armstrong Baybreeze A/C can be recharged and their are still parts available for the old beast. Not the most energy efficient either. But in it's day it was a top of the line piece of equipment. BTW we have brought a couple back to life when all the RV dealer wanted to do was sell a Coleman Mach for $800+.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:57 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
sounds great

Quote:
Angel,

I would be glad to stop by and take care of your service issues......but it's a little far for me to drive (like 1000 miles) for a service call and besides, the travel time charges would kill you . Seriously, I might be headed right past you on my annual trip out West at the end of May. I usually travel thru Nashville and Clarksville on the way to St. Louis and points West. If you are interested, PM me and we can possibly make some tentative arrangements .
I sent you an email...thanks....Maybe you can teach my husband and i a thing or too so we can do it the next time...
Old 05-02-2006, 06:47 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Mr Wahoone

My I ask where you got your part.Our does run but i would love to get it serviced and maybe see about replacing the inside shroud.It very Big and dirty would love to find something alittle more cleaner if thats possible.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:06 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
We dont have anyone thats repairs or sells anything for A/S around here.Thats my problem...The one that is on the otherside of town wont touch it.Because thats not what they sell...
We have an Airstream dealer in our town who will not touch our Chummy! I think it is too old for them and they only like the new stuff they sell. So I have to go to a SOB dealer who is very good and nice. By the way the AS dealer is Ewalds in Milwaukee just in case someone is thinking about them.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:57 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Sad is it!!

You would think they would be glad they made something that still on the roads today for the older ones that is.Instead they would Rather you buy a new one instead.We got lucky when we got this one cause the older man who owned it couldn't handle it anymore,and it was in need of repair.He had never really use anything but the fridge and the water and didn't no if anything else work or even how it work if it did work.
Air streams aren't cheap and they should be happy there's people out there that take the time to give them the extra TLC they need and deserve.
If only those walls could talk the story they could tell us...lol
Old 05-02-2006, 01:30 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Adams , Tennessee
Checkup

I live in Nashville and Work in Clarksville so I could help you learn how you can check this stuff out for yourself but
It would have to be after work or on a weekend that I'm not bluegrassin.

BFrank
Nashville TN
Bfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 05:55 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Exception Noted and I Stand Corrected!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Lew,
I take exception at that statement. I agree with the fridge not really being rechargeable. But the old Armstrong Baybreeze A/C can be recharged and their are still parts available for the old beast. Not the most energy efficient either. But in it's day it was a top of the line piece of equipment. BTW we have brought a couple back to life when all the RV dealer wanted to do was sell a Coleman Mach for $800+.

Aaron
Aaron,

I will admit that my blanket statement is from my experiences....which do not include the old Armstrong units. Today's 'modern' RV air conditioners are hermetically sealed at the factory and although you can add process valves to evacuate and then recharge the units, If the charge is lost due to a bad compressor or leak in the evaporator or condenser coils....they are basically a lost cause as it will cost far more to replace a component (other than a blower motor) than to replace the entire unit. In fact, all of the major warranty companies that I work with will ONLY pay for a unit replacement, not a component. BTW, while Colemans are a good unit, I would go with a Carrier if I had to do a replacement! They have the best design out there, IMHO.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:15 PM   #16
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
lew,
I don't like the Coleman's either, but it seems to be what most dealers want to sell...must be the profit margin. I helped a buddy of mine install a Carrier on his pup and was very impressed with the unit. I really liked the slinger wheel to help get rid of the condensation, eliminates that water run off

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 06:23 PM   #17
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
lew,
I don't like the Coleman's either, but it seems to be what most dealers want to sell...must be the profit margin. I helped a buddy of mine install a Carrier on his pup and was very impressed with the unit. I really liked the slinger wheel to help get rid of the condensation, eliminates that water run off

Aaron
I put a Duo-Therm unit on our Argosy. I was very happy with the function, and it had a heat strip in it also. Of course, the day I had the new unit installed, I found the part for the old Armstrong unit. Naturally...
Old 05-02-2006, 08:39 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello angel73, Did you ever have any luck on your bearing and seals situation? I do mobile automotive /truck service and repair here in SB CA, I also work with adams RV here in town servicing all types of trailers ,wheelbearings and brakes etc. They handle the appliances and stuff,I was wondering if the rv dealer you know of has a recommendation for a certified mobile RV tech who could make the trip out to you . We here all wish we could help you out.

scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:19 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
No not yet

I haven't yet, but theres not one here that will work,look or touch them here...lol..So i figure since there the most costly part...I guess ill wait on trying to see what problems it has if any...our hopes of being able to go camping this year wont be happening it seem...Everytime i fix one thing i see something else that needs repair......My kids are mad at me and my hubby's wallet is starting to have spider webs.... As fast as he makes it. The our air stream dreams takes it...our travel seem to get further away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanlily
Hello angel73, Did you ever have any luck on your bearing and seals situation? I do mobile automotive /truck service and repair here in SB CA, I also work with adams RV here in town servicing all types of trailers ,wheelbearings and brakes etc. They handle the appliances and stuff,I was wondering if the rv dealer you know of has a recommendation for a certified mobile RV tech who could make the trip out to you . We here all wish we could help you out.

scott of scottanlily
Old 05-02-2006, 09:40 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Well ours works.Everything works or it did i should say before we parked it last year but the water pipes and the unvolt.Which was all messed up when we bought it 3 years ago.I just would like to have everything serviced.That way if theres anymore problems that i cant see myself then..I can figure out how much further i can go...My husband is starting to get upset at me and i think wishes it would just disappear out of the yard.I was raised do it and do it right the first time.Save head aces later.But since i have spent $860 in two month and all i have to show for it is new blinds,new water pipes(coper) a 60 amp inetil conv and some fabric.Two gal of napsier 220 4 tubes of vulken 1 tube of purr bond and a rivets gun..And still no closer to the camper going to the lake ...it may become my new home....lololol....I just need things cleaned or charge. what every someone does to make sure there in working order...And maybe if all is well ill get this thing to the lake for a month or so in Aug maybe

Quote:
Aaron,

I will admit that my blanket statement is from my experiences....which do not include the old Armstrong units. Today's 'modern' RV air conditioners are hermetically sealed at the factory and although you can add process valves to evacuate and then recharge the units, If the charge is lost due to a bad compressor or leak in the evaporator or condenser coils....they are basically a lost cause as it will cost far more to replace a component (other than a blower motor) than to replace the entire unit. In fact, all of the major warranty companies that I work with will ONLY pay for a unit replacement, not a component. BTW, while Colemans are a good unit, I would go with a Carrier if I had to do a replacement! They have the best design out there, IMHO.