Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Appliance Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2006, 06:50 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel73
Well ours works.Everything works or it did i should say before we parked it last year but the water pipes and the unvolt.Which was all messed up when we bought it 3 years ago.I just would like to have everything serviced.That way if theres anymore problems that i cant see myself then..I can figure out how much further i can go...My husband is starting to get upset at me and i think wishes it would just disappear out of the yard.I was raised do it and do it right the first time.Save head aces later.But since i have spent $860 in two month and all i have to show for it is new blinds,new water pipes(coper) a 60 amp inetil conv and some fabric.Two gal of napsier 220 4 tubes of vulken 1 tube of purr bond and a rivets gun..And still no closer to the camper going to the lake ...it may become my new home....lololol....I just need things cleaned or charge. what every someone does to make sure there in working order...And maybe if all is well ill get this thing to the lake for a month or so in Aug maybe
You sound so discouraged. Try what I am doing, The :AS ZEN SYSTEM: practice patience and make it a long term hobby project. I got mine last year from my Vet (he bought a motorhome). Now it is one project at a time. Univolt is out, new charger is in: Goucho covers are replaced: belly pan was re-riveted: dual battery set up is in: tomorrow I start on a new furnace: etc. I have never restored a trailer before but I read up on things and get some great advice from this forum. All of those people that are experts have been wonderfull about sharing knowledge and providing tips.

I still have to do the water system and then I will have to figure out the pieces for the fossilized remains of the carefree awning (I may just save my pennies & buy a new one(s). I plan on installing some flourescent lights and a quieter vent fan. Then with luck, next summer may be strip & polish.

What I am saying is make it a hobby, get a list and do one project at a time. Don't take on too much at one. These things can overwhelm you if you try to cure everytihing at once.

Don't get rid of it! I am having a great time restoring mine. It (like every other AS's) it is useable without everything being perfect. I put mine on a five year plan for getting finished, though I think it will be done long before that. I will use it long before that time and I thought it would be a fun hobby. It sounds like you are sort of doing that but trying to go too fast. I have yet to find anything I cannot do on this beast! There's a lot of good books, and the advice I have gleaned from the forum has been invaluable -My thanks to everyone for that-

Don't get discouraged and hang in there! Not counting some short trips You may be on the road before I am.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 07:21 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Here in Norfolk VA there is an RV repair company that is very reasonable and does good work. It is a family business and they do not sell RVs of any type, just repair/service them(all makes). It wouldn't suprise me to find out that there is a business of that type in your area. Question the old RVers in your area, they are usually the most helpful, however, be ready to to talk camping/RVing for a while.
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 08:08 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Angel73
we wishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner
Here in Norfolk VA there is an RV repair company that is very reasonable and does good work. It is a family business and they do not sell RVs of any type, just repair/service them(all makes). It wouldn't suprise me to find out that there is a business of that type in your area. Question the old RVers in your area, they are usually the most helpful, however, be ready to to talk camping/RVing for a while.
Beginner
Affaid not,most people here say air stream whats that.....
Old 05-22-2006, 08:14 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Angel73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Camel
You sound so discouraged. Try what I am doing, The :AS ZEN SYSTEM: practice patience and make it a long term hobby project. I got mine last year from my Vet (he bought a motorhome). Now it is one project at a time. Univolt is out, new charger is in: Goucho covers are replaced: belly pan was re-riveted: dual battery set up is in: tomorrow I start on a new furnace: etc.

I still have to do the water system and then I will have to figure out the pieces for the fossilized remains of the carefree awning (I may just save my pennies & buy a new one(s). I plan on installing some flourescent lights and a quieter vent fan. Then with luck, next summer may be strip & polish.

What I am saying is make it a hobby, get a list and do one project at a time. Don't take on too much at one. These things can overwhelm you if you try to cure everytihing at once.

Don't get rid of it! I am having a great time restoring mine. It (like every other AS's) it is useable without everything being perfect.

Don't get discouraged and hang in there! Not counting some short trips You may be on the road before I am.
Am trying but it seams when i start one problem another arises....Sorry it took me awhile to get back to this post...But i've incountered even more problems since this post...
Old 05-22-2006, 08:18 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Angel
Hi Sounds like your having a great time!!!!!!! You need to forget the Airstream name when you talk to the service places about you appliances.
KInda like cars if you need a battery and tell them it is a 40 ford they freak if you go in and get a battery that works all is well. There is a independant service place somewhere in your area, you will just need to seek them out. If your furnace need cleaned and perhaps some repairs any service dept should be able to do that. It doesn't matter what trailer it is in, it is simply a furnace. Same with the wheel bearings and seals. Any larger tire repair place should be able to pack the wheel bearings and replace the seals. YOU might attack one thing at a time and not get overwhelmed. Sounds like at least you might need to get it in good enough shape for you to move into after your hubby get mad!!! I have one that has been sitting for years and in the same boat. Everytime I fix something something else breaks. Good luck on your project and don't give up
Larryb346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:49 AM   #26
art
3 Rivet Member

Where can I find some one to work on an armstrong A/c in southern new hampshire or close by
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Lew,
I take exception at that statement. I agree with the fridge not really being rechargeable. But the old Armstrong Baybreeze A/C can be recharged and their are still parts available for the old beast. Not the most energy efficient either. But in it's day it was a top of the line piece of equipment. BTW we have brought a couple back to life when all the RV dealer wanted to do was sell a Coleman Mach for $800+.

Aaron
art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:43 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Angel 73,
Have you contacted Middle Tennessee Airstream in Cookeville to see what they can do? They sell Airstream and some other brands also. Their phone number ( toll free) is 866-526-GO-RV, fax is 931-528-6390 and website is middletnairstream.com

I hope they can help you,
Mike
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:55 PM   #28
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Hi Angel, can you tell me what county you live in? I tried to look up woodlawn but several. There is a man in Rockwood Tn, that services Rv's and he has given us advice. If its not to far, he may come out and help you if you havent already had it done.
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:34 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
southwestern , Michigan
hey hammer, for the record, we tried to get the airstream dealer in cookeville to help us repair our 1979 excella motorhome, and not only couldn't they do it, they didn't even know who could! they finally pointed us in the direction of a repair shop, but they didn't even know the name of the shop! it ended up just a tune-up, which my husband would normally do, but he didn't have tools with him. (we're from michigan but have family in cookeville). anyway the shop did a good job for us, but as i said in another thread, all airstream dealers should at the very least have repair info for vintage units. we are free advertising for the new units!
airstreamers is offline   Reply With Quote