Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2008, 10:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
1966 17' Caravel
Philly , Pennsylvania
Haier Washing machines

Hi all

We are about the start full timing and have been looking into installing one of the portable haier machines in a spare closet. These machines are about 18x18x30 inch and weigh in at about 40lbs. Don't get me wrong, you wont be washing queen sized sheets in them but they should cope with some jeans and t-shirts. These units seem to be quite popular with new york apartment types.

Has anyone tried one of these units?

C
sumsmug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
I'm also intersted in hearing about washers! I peeked at the Haier and got sticker shock & kept searching...

I've been looking at the Danby DTT420 - 70lbs and very basic; limited to hot water less than 105F but has separate 1600 rpm spin cycle drum that will reduce drying time considerably. 10-pound load capacity & manual controls. 29x18x36.

Danby also has a more luxurious 'portable' that will take 145F water; full array of control settings but no where is listed the single drum spin dry RPMs.. 8.8lb capacity. 20x20x34.

A best price of $330 delivered for the 420 is alluring.

Danby <-------- links to both machines....
Old 03-31-2008, 11:15 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
1966 17' Caravel
Philly , Pennsylvania
I was actually thinking along the lines of the compact or portable models (HLP21E for example), they sell for less than 200 USD. e.g. from target, Like I said these are just washers not combos, but they are small and should be fine on my airstream's 30amp system.

C
sumsmug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
The units I listed above draw 480 watts or about a third of a single electric space heater set on high - and too small a unit might mean buying twice. Remember I am in Minnesota and cool and cold weather produces a lot of laundry - T-shirt and shorts only happen here a few months out of the year

For truly a micro-laundry area I found these...
Portable Washing Machine
Clothes Dryer, Portable, Compact, Mini, Spin Dryer

And if you are fixed on Haier there are better prices. Target wants good money both on the sale and shipping...

Haier Washers - PriceGrabber.com

I am afraid I am going to buy an Danby unless someone speaks forcefully
Old 04-01-2008, 11:09 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
I have been looking at the Danby DTT420. I know it requires more work since it is all manual,but I was thinking that being in control of when I drain the water would be a plus. Thought I could use the dog ramp we have to roll the generator out of the TV bed to for this too and just use it outside during the warmer months. Of course we try to stay in warmer areas year round.

I had a unit similar to this one when I was first married years ago ( I think it was made by Hoover). It did about 10 lbs of clothes per load. It cleaned jeans,towels, and sheets well. Just had to be careful not to overload. The clothes only took a couple of hours to dry in the apt when hung on a drying rack or on hangers that I placed on the shower curtain bar in the bathroom. Never had a problem with water dripping from clothes due to spinner working so well.

I usually placed the drain hose from the spinner back on the wash side to let the rinse water drain back into the wash tub. That enabled me to use the rinse water for wash water for the next load. It lowered our water usage and cost. Using lingerie bags for small items like socks or washcloths while in the spin tub was a must. Small things had a way of working up and getting behind the tub. I found this out after I had to have it repaired. 'shaker
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote