Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Appliance Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2018, 12:34 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatleys View Post
FWIW, I had a range (not the CU434) drop-kicked ... er ... drop-shipped multiple times from Atwood. They sent it twice via UPS ground, both times it was trashed. Third time they sent it freight (like I had paid for in the first place) and it arrived in perfect condition on a pallet to the loading dock at my work.

If you are having a range shipped to you, do your best to be present at the time of delivery, and don't hesitate to refuse it if it's not pristine.

Freight on a pallet is a much better mode of transport than ground shipping, but it's spendy. If that $850-$900 includes LTL freight to your door, that's a good deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4riveteers View Post
Yes. Excellent advice. It’s exactly what we did at Campervan‘s advise. At the time we bought our range it was about $870 total with perfect delivery.

Thanks for the advice folks. From what I've read in my research it seems like shipping damage was the only big issue with the SMEV range. Unfortunately neither of the prices I posted include shipping. For ground delivery it would run an additional $100 or so. I intend to check on freight delivery and will probably go that route, although delivery may be an issue.

Thanks,
Pete
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:09 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Oven size???

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
We love ours... my wife did some muffins this morning and they were great bakes well. 3 different sized burners is a nice feature too, not to mention glass window and electric start oven
We are seriously considering this unit but I got cold feet when I saw the interior dimensions of the oven, from what I saw it was @ 10 x 12 x 15. Is that usable space or overall?

We bake bread using a dutch oven, which is 12 X 6.5 round. Will it fit???

Thanks
Phoedis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:20 PM   #23
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Dometic CU434 Stainless Oven Range

It’s not a drop in replacement but it will fit with some additional trim work.

Here’s a picture fitted in my 2017 with the factory countertop. This was professionally installed so it looks great… But they made it work even though the dimensions weren’t exact.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0108.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	298.8 KB
ID:	320993  
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:27 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Manteca , California
Dometic CU434 Stainless Oven Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoedis View Post
We are seriously considering this unit but I got cold feet when I saw the interior dimensions of the oven, from what I saw it was @ 10 x 12 x 15. Is that usable space or overall?

We bake bread using a dutch oven, which is 12 X 6.5 round. Will it fit???

Thanks

Your question has us wondering about our SMEV oven capacity. We’ve successfully baked cookies using a 1/4 pizza pan but not any other cookware.

So we found that the oven’s dimensions are 14” wide, 10 1/2” tall and 13 3/4” deep. We placed our Dutch oven inside the oven on the top rack no problems...without the lid. The Dutch oven has a 15” diameter that includes the handles. The lid would add another 2” to the overall height.

Simple solution to be able to bake with the lid is to place the Dutch oven on the other rack and remove the top rack.

The SMEV has been one of the best upgrades we’ve made so far and haven’t regretted one moment. Hope this helps you out!

Name:	IMG_0493.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	321076

2016 27 Flying Cloud FB
2005 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4x4, Equal-i-zer Hitch, 4.10 axle ratio.
4riveteers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:23 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Thank you! That really helps. Our dutch oven is even the same color as yours! Do you think the drip pan is strong enough to hold the dutch oven or could you take it out and move the rack down to where it sits?
Old 09-02-2018, 11:06 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Manteca , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoedis View Post
Thank you! That really helps. Our dutch oven is even the same color as yours! Do you think the drip pan is strong enough to hold the dutch oven or could you take it out and move the rack down to where it sits?

The drip pan is definitely more substantial to hold the weight of the Dutch oven especially if there’s stew or soup in it.

We made another discovery about our oven. We were never sure what the factory configuration should be about the placement of where the rack and drip pan goes. The rack and drip pan can work on either track in the middle or the top. So we placed the drip pan on the floor of the oven. There are bump stops in the back to prevent the pan from going to far and covering the flames. Then we placed the rack in the middle to accommodate taller cookware.

Name:	IMG_0257.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	321391

The upper track we left open so we can use the drip pan there for other uses or broiling (a broiling rack is included that rests on top of the drip pan).

Name:	IMG_0258.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	321392

Either way you can set it up any way you desire.[emoji4]Oven is very accurate and bakes cookies like a professional grade oven. My wife’s an appliance snob so she would know![emoji12]

2016 27 Flying Cloud FB
2005 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4x4, Equal-i-zer Hitch, 4.10 axle ratio.
4riveteers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:19 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
That's great! Thanks to you and your appliance "snob", I'd say connoisseur!
Old 07-22-2022, 08:41 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
OK, four years later I am now going to upgrade my oven in a 2006. The Amana is working fine, it is large but I want a new look and feature upgrade. My era Airstream has 22" ranges so they are a bit larger than the ones I am seeing albeit 1" but some of the ovens are small. I discovered in my nine years of ownership that I do use the oven and stove quite a bit. I sometimes cook outside using induction, campfire or Blackstone but more often use what is ready to go. I looked today at the now discontinued CU434 I really like the look but it seems several people are changing out the burner pot holders and other things and, it is $1500! I am also looking at a range I have never seen- the Suburban Elite Plus 3636. Very nice look all flush. I have never had a Suburban product but they are American based. The only other option I am finding right now is the Furrion and they are Chinese. The sales people here at Gander RV said they cannot get parts for them. So, I may end up with the Suburban 3636. It is nice too.