Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2022, 12:18 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2024 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Yet another Lithium Upgrade

I'm definitely an AS newbie, currently on a very steep learning curve. After learning so much from my new found friends on here (i.e. OrangeCrush, Uncle Bob and especially CMHM), I finally threw in the towel and got the Lithium Upgrade. I took it to Heritage Marine Electrical at the Port of Everett, Wa. They found all kinds of issues with the factory install, i.e. stainless steel washers, ground wires not attached to bare metal, 110 volt junction box held together with electrical tape. In fact, they took pictures of everything to show their team, "what not to do".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4107.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	421.7 KB
ID:	417747  
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 4x2 Powerboost
BogeyPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 12:32 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2024 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Whoops! Posted too soon!

Anyway, they cleared out the "rats nest", removed the almost useless AGM batteries, moved the inverter and solar controller, installed a professional grade bus bar, installed a proper junction box, installed the Victron Smart Shunt, and the Bluetooth dongle for the Solar Controller.

The battery I chose was the KiloVault 3600 HLX, which has 300 Amps. They also installed a master fuse and an emergency kill switch. They even helped me re-install the bed. They also recommended building an access hatch in the forward bed piece.

Now I use the battery box for storage of very light items (leveling blocks) and I still have plenty of room in the forward hatch..so more light items like hoses.

My hitch weight has been lightened, although I don't know how much exactly.

Kudos to CMHM, who advised me to consider using a "Non Airstream" professional. If I had done this with the Airstream dealer, I am certain they would only use the Battle Born batteries, and forget all the other custom items and upgrades. I called them and they could only see me in mid August

Fortunately for me, my Airstream is stored only 2 miles from the Port of Everett, which has many marine electrical shops.
Old 06-18-2022, 09:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Congratulations on the new Lithium batteries and especially getting the poor Airstream electrical cleaned up. I too was shocked when I did my upgrade just how shoddy the DC systems were connected and wired but my AC was pretty clean. "110 volt junction box held together with electrical tape" - yikes! Nice choice with the KiloVault 3600. Good luck!
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 09:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Nice install!
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:13 AM   #5

2022 27' Globetrotter
Monroe , Washington
Hi BogeyPro,

I have a new 2022 Globetrotter 27' front queen. The info on the installed inverter and converter both say they're lithium ready on this model. I haven't used it yet. It's brand new. I bought 2 new 100Ah lithium batteries and want to simply replace the lead acid's that are in the front box so I can get this rig on the road. I think that's all I need to do, for now. Does that sound about right?

Later, I'll add solar, more LiFePo4 batteries, and Victron controller.

Thanks!
EvenSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 06:36 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2024 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Not so simple...

Hello, EvenSteven.

Yes, it is true that both converter and inverter are lithium compatible, and if you had solar, the Victron Blue Solar Controller would also have a lithium setting. You have to know where the switch is on each one, turn turn it on.

I would say it's never that easy. I'm not a professional electrician. I took mine to a marine electrician, who did the install. He found all sorts of issues with the original install, see the details above. I would never attempt this myself.

I would look around for a well-reviewed 12 volt professional. I would recommend that you place the new batteries under the bed, not in the battery box. You will save a lot of hitch weight that way. I would also highly recommend that you install the Victron Smart Shunt at the same time, which tells you how your new system is performing via the Victron Connect app on your phone.

Hope this helps you some.