Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2021, 06:40 AM   #41
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Arizona
All battery sale location are required to accept them. But you could sell them on craigs list.

I chose America
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 08:04 AM   #42
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmslade View Post
Is there any functional benefit or use of keeping the AGMs after I swap in the UT1300s? I obviously don’t want to “put ‘em out by the trash” (setting aside the obvious environmental no-no) if there’s a use for them.
After 11 Seasons our two Lifelines are still good and powering the standby basement sump pump.
I would keep them, 'ya never know.

Bob
🇺🇸

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 08:06 AM   #43
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigventure View Post
All battery sale location are required to accept them. But you could sell them on craigs list.
I do have a sooper power...we are still married after 51 yrs. 👍

After all these years she still gets upset when I introduce her...."Hello I'm Bob and this is my first wife Sandra."

Bob
🇺🇸

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 08:31 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHUDS22 View Post
Are the costco batteries ok with cold weather? A lot of the lithium are not, I know Battle born are
What "Costco" batteries are you talking about? Costco (at least here in TX and also in ID) told me "Costco does not offer LI batteries?"; you need to go to Interstate if you want LI batteries, I was told. I did see another LI product being sold at my local Costco here Cedarpark yesterday, but he had solar panels, a "Li generator", and 12V 130A Li batteries which were $650 each, I believe... Said they had a lifetime warranty and was good to charge down to 14 degrees. He said they would be at this Costco for another week....one of those "traveling shows"...like the old medicine shows perhaps? Lifetime guarantee "if you can find us later.".. The BB's from AS JC run over $3K with installation I was told...seems like a lot of $. But looking at the overall cost to do the install myself, may be worth the investment next month when we are there.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 09:43 AM   #45
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Is there any functional benefit or use of keeping the AGMs after I swap in the UT1300s? I obviously don’t want to “put ‘em out by the trash” (setting aside the obvious environmental no-no) if there’s a use for them.
Hi

Combining lead acid's of any sort with lithiums is pretty crazy. The cost and amount of effort would better be put into adding more lithiums.

Unless you have another RV / boat / whatever that uses the same size battery, no there really is no value to them. Around here, you might get a "trade in" based on the lead reclamation value. You will pay a recycle fee if you simply take them over to the proper site and drop them off.

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 09:31 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
When I moved to my T105 6V Trojan batteries few years back, I sold my 12V Interstates on Craigs list in about an hour...a used car dealer called me right away and purchased for I think $100 for the pair...they were new of course, but I was surprised how quick they went. If yours are charged and fairly new, (check the date card on the batteries if they have one), perhaps you will have same luck if priced right.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 10:09 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

Bacliff , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
What "Costco" batteries are you talking about? Costco (at least here in TX and also in ID) told me "Costco does not offer LI batteries?".
Some Costco sell the Lion brand lithium batteries.
I did not see if they were a low temp battery with the LT charge cut-off.
There are some other good alternatives to this that do offer the low temp.
Check out:

AMPS Lithium
https://lithiummarinebattery.com

Battleborn
https://battlebornbatteries.com

LiFeBlue Battery
http://www.lifebluebattery.com

ReLion
https://relionbattery.com

Renogy
https://www.renogy.com

SmartBattery
https://www.lithiumion-batteries.com
jimdelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:35 AM   #48
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdelane View Post
Some Costco sell the Lion brand lithium batteries.
I did not see if they were a low temp battery with the LT charge cut-off.
There are some other good alternatives to this that do offer the low temp.
Check out:

AMPS Lithium
https://lithiummarinebattery.com

Battleborn
https://battlebornbatteries.com

LiFeBlue Battery
http://www.lifebluebattery.com

ReLion
https://relionbattery.com

Renogy
https://www.renogy.com

SmartBattery
https://www.lithiumion-batteries.com
Hi

The Costco Lion brand lithiums do have a low temperature cutoff built into the BMS.

Bob
Old 09-14-2021, 03:36 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' International
Eagle , Colorado
As an update, I decided to let my dealer go ahead and do the wiring and programming of the controller and other hardware for Lithium and use my Lion batteries. They’re charging me 8 hours of labor to move the batteries to the curbside external storage (instead of the battery box) and reconfigure the equipment. Seems like probably 2-3 hours more than it should take, but I’ll have at least some comfort of knowing it’s being set up right to begin with. (No jaded comments that I have false hope there, please. )
jmslade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:53 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
Quote:
…but I’ll have at least some comfort of knowing it’s being set up right to begin with. (No jaded comments that I have false hope there, please.)
I’m sorry, but I just have to disappoint you here.

A couple months ago I had an Airstream dealership upgrade our 2009 Classic 34 to the factory lithium setup. They COMPLETELY botched the wiring job such that (a) the converter wasn’t charging the batteries, and (b) the only power going through the Victron SmartShunt was the lead from the battery to the inverter. All the other loads bypassed the shunt and were not seen by the shunt, which therefore thought the batteries were fully charged when, in fact, they were flat dead.

When I brought it back to them to fix, they still managed to reroute only one battery lead through the shunt and the second battery lead bypassed the shunt and went directly to the DC buss bar.

In order to get it done right I consulted with Uncle_Bob and rewired it myself. And then wrote a nastygram to the dealership management.

Make sure YOU understand thoroughly exactly how it needs to be set up and verify every piece of the installation before you leave the dealer lot. Unfortunately the RV business has just as hard a time getting qualified help as any other industry, so there’s a very good chance you’ll get a newbie who doesn’t know what s/he’s doing…like I did.

Trust…but verify.

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 08:30 AM   #51
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Not all dealers are created equal. There are some good ones out there ....

I suspect that some are great swapping out an axle and utter idiots when it comes to wiring.

A story:

Got an alert on my F350. Called the dealer like the alert said I should. Talked a bit. We quickly got to " We don't have a diesel mechanic at the moment. We lost ours and have been looking for one for the last few months" ....

I'm guessing that the quality of their diesel work dropped pretty drastically a few months ago.

Even with the dealer trying very hard "stuff happens". You can still pull up the day after the expert on this or that takes off for Bermuda ...

Bob
Old 09-15-2021, 09:16 AM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' International
Eagle , Colorado
I appreciate all of the reassurances, guys.

I hope that the minimal nature of the work as opposed to overall rewiring of the system will at least improve the chances of success. If not, I now know uncle_bob can be consulted!
Old 09-15-2021, 09:56 AM   #53
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
I appreciate all of the reassurances, guys.

I hope that the minimal nature of the work as opposed to overall rewiring of the system will at least improve the chances of success. If not, I now know uncle_bob can be consulted!
Hi

If you are relying on some anonymous guy (this *is* the internet) named Bob .... yikes ....

Bob
Old 09-15-2021, 10:29 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' International
Eagle , Colorado
Touché!