Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2017, 05:31 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Oxford , North Carolina
Unhappy Wrong plug in

I plugged my 2004 Bambi into a 220 three prong instead of a 110. The air conditioner tried to come on but couldn`t. Now with a 110 plugin the air conditioner just hums but won`t come on. What could I have messed up? Can I fix this?:
Doug4566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:50 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forums.
220 can, and usually will, destroy:
Air conditioner
Converter
Television
microwave
fridge heating element, if turned on
And anything else plugged in at the time.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Sad to say but I suspect you have fried your systems. $$$$$$

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the forums!

Well, depending on what got turned on, you may have dodged a few bullets. If the only thing running was the AC unit, the balance of your electrical stuff (less the converter) may still be functional. You will have to do some troubleshooting.

The humming you hear from your AC might be something as simple as a blown compressor start capacitor, which can be replaced relatively cheapl and easily. I would start there. Don't turn on the AC and let it sit there humming for more than a few seconds, as you will end up burning up the motor.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:15 AM   #5

Currently Looking...
Oxford , North Carolina
Thanks for your answer! I checked out everything else, fridge, microwave/oven, cd player, lights, converter everything else running fine on 110. I will check out the capacitor.
Doug4566
Doug4566 is offline   Reply With Quote