Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2022, 08:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cleveland , Tennessee
Will a single 206Ah Lithium Lifepo4 work instead of 2 100Ah?

I guess I waited too long to order the SOK 100ah x 2 Lifepo4 batteries. Every place seems to be out of stock including Amazon. They want to sell the 206Ah version. I really want the features and quality of the SOK and am considering getting the single 206Ah item IF it should be compatible size wise and capacity wise to fit in the battery compartment and run the 12v system of the AS I have on order. Will the single 206Ah have as much power storage as the 2 single 100Ah, or will I be coming up short? What, if any, other considerations are there regarding / comparing these 2 configurations? The 206Ah is still in stock at the moment. Just wondering if I should pull the trigger and grab one of those while I can? Anybody out there using a single SOK 206AH Lifepo4 in your AS, and with what results?
koberudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 08:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by koberudy View Post
I guess I waited too long to order the SOK 100ah x 2 Lifepo4 batteries. Every place seems to be out of stock including Amazon. They want to sell the 206Ah version. I really want the features and quality of the SOK and am considering getting the single 206Ah item IF it should be compatible size wise and capacity wise to fit in the battery compartment and run the 12v system of the AS I have on order. Will the single 206Ah have as much power storage as the 2 single 100Ah, or will I be coming up short? What, if any, other considerations are there regarding / comparing these 2 configurations? The 206Ah is still in stock at the moment. Just wondering if I should pull the trigger and grab one of those while I can? Anybody out there using a single SOK 206AH Lifepo4 in your AS, and with what results?
206amp hours is slightly more than 2 * 100amp hours. So no issues with the capacity.

Check the maximum safe continuous current draw.

Inverters can pull hundreds of amps (up to 400 amps or more) depending on the inverter capabilities (1000 va or 2000 or 3000va).

Often, a single capacity larger battery will have the same maximum safe continuous amp discharge limit as the lower capacity battery.

For example, with a 3000 VA inverter, the battery bank needs to support at least 400amps continuously. If each battery is limited to 100amp max, then you need 4 batteries to support the inverter without damaging the batteries.

What size is your inverter and what is the inverter max current spec? Compare the inverter spec to the max continuous current draw spec for the battery.
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 07:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Koberudy, not an exact answer to your question but I recently switched from 2X 220AH 6V AGM to 1X 300AH CHINS smart lithium under the bed. So far (a little under a year) it's been great. To Foobar's comment, the max charge / discharge current is 200A (600 amp peak <5 sec) but I never get near that with 400 watts of solar and a Shuresine 300W (650W peak) inverter. The Chins has its own bluetooth BMS so I like having 300AH all in one package that i can monitor. So, I'd go for the the larger battery if you like SOK, IF the max current ratings are within your needs. Welcome to lithium! - Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 07:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2023 28' International
Mercer County , New Jersey
Quote:
I really want the features and quality of the SOK and am considering getting the single 206Ah item IF it should be compatible size wise and capacity wise to fit in the battery compartment
The battery should fit but it would need to be placed on its side because it's too tall to fit upright. I'd verify with SOK about the change in orientation.

Also, you'd need to figure out a way to secure it because the battery would cover more than half the bottom of the battery box and you'd have no way to use the screw post in the middle of the the box.
jeffb831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 08:11 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cleveland , Tennessee
Thanks guys, very helpful. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on two SOK 206AH Lifepo4. I'd like to stow them under the front queen bed. I'm expecting my unit soon so I have to allow time for shipping.
Old 10-21-2022, 08:33 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Aptos , California
Sok

We have one 206 AH SOK battery in our 25 FB twin. It has exceeded our expectations and outperforms the two Lifeline AGM batteries it replaced. I moved it under the street side bed since the case is not waterproof and use the battery compartment for leveling blocks, etc.

On a recent trip to the Sierra, with overnight temps in the 20’s, we used about 50 AH overnight with the furnace running a lot. The solar replaced all of that by noon even with low October sun angles.

I think you will be happy with your choice.
Rollertoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 09:54 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Niagara Falls , Ontario
Quote:
Charge and discharge rates on single units are often lower that 2 x 1/2 size paired units with the same capacity. You will want to check that. If do do not have heavy 12V loads this is probably not a problem.
hairyclive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 12:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Hey Koberudy, Here's the post with a picture of how I mounted the battery on the curbside cubby under the bed (my 300Watt shuresine Inverter lives there too.) I used a couple of blocks of wood attached to the deck and one front to back hold down cinching strap. - Brad https://www.airforums.com/forums/f37...ml#post2565706
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 01:04 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Quote:
Thanks guys, very helpful. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on two SOK 206AH Lifepo4. I'd like to stow them under the front queen bed. I'm expecting my unit soon so I have to allow time for shipping.
This was just what I was going to recommend!

Fir our 2009 when new, we replaced the provided AGM ‘s with four six volt 110 amp Lifelines (lithium was still too pricey then). Stored under the gaucho and in the modified battery box. The 440 amps of storage were great for boondiocking even with several cloudy days. We never ran them down further than a kit 70%, so they were still going strong when we sold the coach 9 years later.

Had we kept tve coach, we would have replaced them with 300 amp lithium bank and let it run a bit lower when needed. Primary reason was weight—that setup weighed about 84 lbs vs the 300 lbs for the four glassmats., and we really wanted to get tongue weight reduced on our 28’ International Ocean Breeze.

Think you’ll be VERY happy with your new battery bank!
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 06:49 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cleveland , Tennessee
So since I'm doubling my capacity to 400Ah then my discharges should be more shallow overall for the same demand, compared to if I had just one battery. Therefore the battery bank should endure many more charge cycles, lasting longer, correct (closer to the 8000 range than the 4000)?
Old 10-22-2022, 07:54 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cleveland , Tennessee
Can anyone confirm for me whT the footprint deminsions are for the battery box? Maybe I can get the slightly larger batteries in the box up front, temporarily.
Old 10-22-2022, 08:25 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2023 28' International
Mercer County , New Jersey
Mine is 13 (N-S) x 15 (E-W) x 10.75 (D)
jeffb831 is offline   Reply With Quote