Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2012, 08:45 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
POcatello , Idaho
Where to Relocate Batteries

Hey folks- I have a 1965 sovereign that I am doing a complete shell off restoration. Originally she had rear end seperation and I ended up straightening the frame and having additional support welded in. Currently the shell is back on and the new floor installed. I am just starting the electrical and am considering where to put the batteries. Originally there was one battery and a univolt in the far back. THe back would be the easiest option but I do not like the idea of any extra weight in the rear. The second easiest option would be up front (probably a battery on either side of the water tank bellow the front window). The final option would be just behind the wheel well on the road side. In any scenerio the converter would be moved as well to be closer to the batteries. Am I just being paranoid? Could I just keep the batteries in the back or would it really be a good idea to move them forward? Thanks for your input.

RW
rwkrapfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I'm putting my dual 6V battery box street side, behind the axles. Venting is a bit of an issue to work through...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Seattle , Washington
Hi - I have a '68 Sovereign 30 and am considering relocating the battery and inverter to the access hatch just aft of the axles on the right side. Is this a good idea? What heat issues would I face?

Thanks!
BuffaloJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Pierre , South Dakota
I am building a new frame. The main rails are 2x5 .120 tube with the 2x3 scrub rail running full length from the rear tying into the axle plate.
I extended my trunk 12" to install two batteries in the rear. Orginally the one battery was on the curbside behind the wheel well, which leaked and caused floor rot from the opening aft. The battery door will not be used and the opening patched, stopped that leak.
If your in a position to run a 2x3 rect. tube from the trunk into the axle plates you may increase the frame strength enough to support batteries in the rear trunk. Just a thought .
195Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Seattle , Washington
My battery is in the rear now and maybe it's okay. I don't like the fact that the Univolt is in the corner between the water heater and the rear compartment; it's hard to access. I want to get a new inverter anyway. How far away can the inverter be from the battery? Maybe I'll put the inverter in that small compartment just aft of the axles.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:09 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Seattle , Washington
Sorry, I want to use the right term. I want a new converter as in a replacement of the Univolt to go from 120V to 12V.