Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2022, 12:50 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
Some inverters allow a pass-through so you plug it in and shore power goes through to outlets when available and without shore power the inverter powers the outlets. With this setup you don't need to keep switching outlets. It is also safe with the transfer switch in the inverter doing its job.

Unfortunately I'm unfamiliar with the OP's layout for where he can plug it in. Just advise using a heavy duty extension cord if needed, many extension cords are rated for 12 amps or less.
My WFCO WF 5110HP does not have an automatic transfer switch, so it uses a 3 prong plug that plugs into a 120VAC outlet in order for it to act as a pass-through. Otherwise I have to turn on the inverter to power the inverter circuits. If I could plug it in, I would not have to turn it on; it would just pass through the current to the inverter plugs.
PlayGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 12:52 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
10smiles, some but not all inverters have plugs to "back feed" outlet circuits.
I honestly don't know what "back feed" means, but my WF 5110HP requires it to be plugged into a 120VAC outlet to act as a pass-through, at least according to the manual.

And for some reason, AS did not put an outlet in the storage compartment so it seems I have to run an extension cord into my bedroom outlet.

Less than ideal as you can imagine...
Old 12-09-2022, 01:04 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2023 28' International
Mercer County , New Jersey
According to the wiring diagram for your trailer https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...manual-175.pdf, on page 8-28, it shows that the system was designed without the connectivity to the 120V system which later years do have. It was designed with separate outlets to be used when on shore power and when on inverter power.
jeffb831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 01:30 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayGuitar View Post
My WFCO WF 5110HP does not have an automatic transfer switch, so it uses a 3 prong plug that plugs into a 120VAC outlet in order for it to act as a pass-through. Otherwise I have to turn on the inverter to power the inverter circuits. If I could plug it in, I would not have to turn it on; it would just pass through the current to the inverter plugs.
That means your inverter does (or at least should) have a manual transfer switch. It is required to stop the shore power connection from getting through when the inverter supplies power from the batteries, for safety.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 03:05 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
If there is no outlet in your front storage. Run power from the bedside outlet and install an outlet next to the inverter.
Old 12-13-2022, 06:15 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb831 View Post
According to the wiring diagram for your trailer https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...manual-175.pdf, on page 8-28, it shows that the system was designed without the connectivity to the 120V system which later years do have. It was designed with separate outlets to be used when on shore power and when on inverter power.
Strange, because when I do plug it into a 120VAC outlet, the Inverter outlets are powered without me turning on the inverter.

I'm so confused.... hehehe
Old 12-13-2022, 06:45 PM   #27
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Strange, because when I do plug it into a 120VAC outlet, the Inverter outlets are powered without me turning on the inverter.

I'm so confused.... hehehe
What Jeff meant from the manual is that your inverter has pass through capability so the dedicated inverter outlets would be live when on shore power. But Airstream did not install an outlet near the inverter to plug it into, and instead taped up the plug (as they did on mine as well).

When you plug yours into whatever outlet you were able to reach, it powers your inverter outlets. When off shore power, those inverter outlets will be powered via inverted battery power when you turn on the inverter.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 10:52 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Vista , California
Use model

You should have two paired AC outlets for every AC plug. One is shore power, the other is inverter output.
The intended use model for this year is to plug your device into the shore power outlet if on shore power, or the inverter output if not on shore power and the inverter is on.
It’s a hair awkward. But, since battery life management is important, it gives you complete visibility of what loads are being put on your battery. Which in turn gives you the opportunity to manage your battery life on the inverter. Once you understand that, it’s a great solution.
JohnSn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 11:04 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Escondido , CA
Quote:
2016 27' International Serenity.

Problem statement:

I would like ideas on where to plug the inverter into a 110v outlet.

Details:

Inverter is located in the front storage compartment under the curb side bedroom.

I want to be able to plug the inverter in so I can use all my outlets while on shore power.

I just found the plug was taped with electrical tape over the three prongs so it has never been plugged in.

I don't want to turn on the inverter because the fan noise is right under our bed. I will put up with the noise if boon-docking, but it is not needed while on shore power.

I don't see a 110v outlet anywhere in the storage compartment, so it seems like I would have to run power to the inverter up through the bedroom and plug it in a wall.

I know less than zero about electrical, so before I go on a months long journey learning about electrical (to possibly run new wires or something), I was hoping someone could give me a great idea on where to plug this thing in with the minimum of work.
Our used 2018 30RB was setup the same and I never understood why you would pay the factory to install an inverter with passthrough and not have it installed to work in passthrough mode. However, the 30RB has a 110 gfci plug we used to power the inverter next to the inverter plug directly over the compartment on the wall above the couch. We used the passthrough mode like that for months before I upgraded to the multiplus II 2x50. We had no adverse affects or inconveniences by using the gfci plug with a short but well spec'd extension cord to power the inverter.
dsatwork is offline   Reply With Quote