Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2023, 06:41 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Where Is WFCO charger located 2021 GT 27FBQ ?

I finished installing BB lithium batteries, moved dial on Victron to position #7
I can't seem to locate my WFCO battery charger so I can install the jumper for lithium. I pulled fuse panel to gain access and I don't see it anywhere ? Just duct hoses, opened the access panels under wardrobe to water pump and winterization hose, don't see it ? I know it's back there somewhere because I could always hear the fan kick on when charging the batteries when I hooked up shore power. I have a 2021 GT 27FBQ
bzizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 07:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Mine was a bit older and different floorplan, a 2015 20FB, but where you open the door and see the fuse panel: the door is attached to a cover, that you remove that cover, exposing the unit below the fuse panel.
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 07:38 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Bethlehem , Pennsylvania
It’s under the fridge. Remove the electrical panel, it’s behind it. The space in there is super tight. You can get a phone in there to take a picture of the label on the converter to see what kind you have. Lots of hot wires back there so be sure to disconnect from shore power, turn off the trailer DC power and unplug your solar from the junction box on roof. disconnect the negative lead from the battery too before doing any work on the converter.

You may, unfortunately, have an Auto-Detect WFCO converter. AS made the switch around the time your trailer was built. In theory it should work for either lithium or AGMs. It doesn’t. Lots of threads on this. WFCO has excellent tech support, but they also have a terrible product. If you do in fact have an AD converter, tech support will have you taking voltage readings and current readings. They’ll have you send the unit back to them for a firmware update. Then the converter will still not function properly. 😡 If you have the AD converter, bite the bullet and swap it out for a Progressive Dynamics 60A lithium charger.
Merlintiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 09:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
bzizzi… Another Carlisle, PA Member! (Uncle_Bob in these forums also.) Wife and I just spent a week there recently….and also last year. Lovely town. We’ll definitely be back.

WFCO has been a great little converter, in our experience. We’ve had two of them. (but admittedly we are lead/acid fans…not lithium.)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 10:12 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Frederick , Maryland
We could not get to ours

We have a 2019 GT and when we converted to Battleborn batteries we spoke to WFCO. The WFCO model AS put in our unit will charge lithium with no reconfiguration (no switches). However, they also told me that it will never charge our lithium to 100%... maybe 75-80 %.

We went with the Progressive and we could not find our WFCO to change it ourselves. We had an appointment with JC so we asked them to replace it for us. Game changer!

I know Airstream finally went with Victron components, so they might have upgraded the WFCO charger as well. Call them first before you go down the rabbit hole just to have to do it again when you change it.

Happy Camping!
LMAlmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 10:18 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Success ! Thanks everyone, you are awesome !
Used a 12 awg jumper, had to tin ends of wire kept fraying while inserting.
Can’t see, have to do by feel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1789.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	439090   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1787.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	439091  

Old 11-29-2023, 10:30 AM   #7
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzizzi View Post
Success ! Thanks everyone, you are awesome !
Used a 12 awg jumper, had to tin ends of wire kept fraying while inserting.
Can’t see, have to do by feel.
It looks like you are not fully charged yet, the battery is still taking 11.47 amps of current.
Old 11-29-2023, 10:37 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
It looks like you are not fully charged yet, the battery is still taking 11.47 amps of current.
I know, just finished charging.
Old 11-29-2023, 10:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
This was one of my beefs with the WFCO charger (we had the AD version). I might be extrapolating too much from one screen shot, but it appears it's in bulk mode but it's only putting out 11A. Maybe it's the wiring, but when I installed the mighty Victron Phoenix it was charging at 45A. (It also raised its voltage to account for voltage drop so that it was at the correct charging voltage at the battery, a feature of VE.Smart Networking).

It will charge eventually, but sometimes minimizing the charging time is important. I also wonder about getting to the right float voltage is important as well for battery balance.
JeffKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 11:05 AM   #10
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
When I was at the factory for repairs I mentioned my having to replace the WFCO converter in my 2023 Classic with a Progressive Converter. They said they went back to Progressive converters in 2024 models because the distance away from the batteries caused the WFCOs to fail.
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 11:10 AM   #11
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKim View Post
This was one of my beefs with the WFCO charger (we had the AD version). I might be extrapolating too much from one screen shot, but it appears it's in bulk mode but it's only putting out 11A. Maybe it's the wiring, but when I installed the mighty Victron Phoenix it was charging at 45A. (It also raised its voltage to account for voltage drop so that it was at the correct charging voltage at the battery, a feature of VE.Smart Networking).

It will charge eventually, but sometimes minimizing the charging time is important. I also wonder about getting to the right float voltage is important as well for battery balance.
My WFCO charges the Li very, very slowly and I wonder if the PD would do any better at approx 18 feet of #8 wire? I am not too worried though since I have 2 other ways to fully charge. The WFCO should be able to supply all of our demand while on shore power and not need any backup from the batteries. Will find out anyway.
Old 11-29-2023, 04:01 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Batteries are brand spanking new, Battle Born told me they are fully charged before shipping out but recommends charging them again once received. When I first plugged trailer in the Smart Shunt monitor immediately jumped to 21 amps
@ 13.4V. right before charger shut down batteries where @ 14.5V and charger right at
10 A. Batteries where delivered on 11/28/23 so I believe everything is fine. I'm more interested how well solar panels will charge the batteries since I upgraded from 180Watts to 440 Watts.
Old 11-29-2023, 08:11 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Lol

Lead Paint and Acid is sooooooooooo 60’s Woodstock!
(but admittedly we are lead/acid fans…not lithium.)[/QUOTE]
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 07:28 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
bzizzi… Another Carlisle, PA Member! (Uncle_Bob in these forums also.) Wife and I just spent a week there recently….and also last year. Lovely town. We’ll definitely be back.

WFCO has been a great little converter, in our experience. We’ve had two of them. (but admittedly we are lead/acid fans…not lithium.)
Father retired from US Army War College in Carlisle in the early 60's, he was a chef for the general at the school ended up buying a restaurant in Carlisle. He liked the town so much we ended up staying here. Father was in WW2 Normandy, and Battle of the Bulge. He passed away on his 100th birthday in October 2019.
Old 11-30-2023, 07:32 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is a Highway View Post
Lead Paint and Acid is sooooooooooo 60’s Woodstock!
(but admittedly we are lead/acid fans…not lithium.)
[/QUOTE]

I removed two brand new lead acid deep cycle batteries from my 2021 GT
after solar panels cooked the original ones, didn't want to deal with maintaining the electrolyte level in batteries so I went lithium, I'll use deep cycle batteries in wood shop solar set up.
Old 12-01-2023, 07:54 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Father retired from US Army War College in Carlisle in the early 60's, he was a chef for the general at the school ended up buying a restaurant in Carlisle. He liked the town so much we ended up staying here. Father was in WW2 Normandy, and Battle of the Bulge. He passed away on his 100th birthday in October 2019.
We have a 2021 GT FBT and I am in the middle of the same upgrade to lithium. I also had a tough time finding the converter. After removing the full electrical panel I spotted it in a jumble of wires and had a tough time fishing it out. Cant' believe the lack of care by AS in manufacturing.

Did you put two battle born as replacements in the battery box? If so what model battery fit?

Wonderful your dad served our country and lived a long full life. My dad was Army WW2 and lived thorough 300 days from N. Africa, Sicily, Anzio, Dachau and finished in Munich. Hope we meet on the road some day.
DutchB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 05:28 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Installed two Battle Born GC2 heated version, here is photo of install, also installed two buss bars and a Victron IP65 Smart Shunt
Plus upgraded solar on roof from 180watts to 440W.
I’m all finished and everything seems to work fine.
I also put a 1/4” thick rubber mat under batteries
Battle Born was running some pretty sweet Black Friday deals that really saved me some $$
Only thing I need to do is mount switch and hook up heaters.
I used a 100A fuse right at the battery terminal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1746.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	328.1 KB
ID:	439178   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1814.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	439181  

Old 12-01-2023, 06:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Carlisle Indian School had a completely different reputation than most of those…and Native American football player Jim Thorpe graduated and played there. He asked the coach “Why don’t we ever play white teams?” …and the coach replied, “Because they don’t like you, they think you are dirty and lazy.”
Thorpe convinced him to check to see if Army (War College) would play them…and the game was arranged.

Carlisle Indians beat Army 26-7. A guy playing halfback for Army was a fellow named Dwight D. Eisenhower.

(Sorry for the thread drift.)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 10:09 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Watsontown , Pennsylvania
We have a 2022 with the WFCO AD charger. It has worked so far without the problems others have seen. Our is very easy to get to if we have to change it. Does anyone (or did I miss) the Progressive model number that works?
ricjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 01:08 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2023 28' International
Mercer County , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricjones View Post
We have a 2022 with the WFCO AD charger. It has worked so far without the problems others have seen. Our is very easy to get to if we have to change it. Does anyone (or did I miss) the Progressive model number that works?
I swapped the WFCO AD to the PD 9100L and have no issues.
jeffb831 is offline   Reply With Quote