Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2014, 08:17 PM   #1
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
Where Is Inverter Located - 2014 Classic 27FB?

The 1000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter (WF-5100 Series) that came with our Airstream stopped working. I understand that it has it's own fuse and that we should check to see if that fuse needs to be replaced before looking into replacing the Inverter. One big problem, I can't figure out where it is located in the trailer and how to get access to it.

Does anybody know?

Also, if it needs to be replaced, should I do a like for like replace or look at alternatives?

Thanks.
demijac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:22 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have a 2015 25FB twin. The inverter is located under the head of the twin bed on the curb side. It is under the bed board. If your 27FB is a twin, it may be in the same location.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
A 2014 should have everything under warrantee still. So, if you can go to a dealer, let them deal with it.

The inverter in my 2014 Front bed 20' FC is under the bed and the main fuse for it is there, but I don't know where it is in your rig.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:28 PM   #4
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We have a 2014 International Signature 27FB with a queen bed. The inverter is under the bed on the right side toward the head of the bed if you're standing in the bedroom having just lifted the bed to look under it for something that looks like it might be an inverter.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Yes, the inverter is behind a panel on the curb side accessible either far forward under the bed or thru the front cargo hatch. You are still under Airstream's 2 year warranty, so you can have it replaced by a dealer.

Another option is to replace the unit with an American manufactured and warranted Magnum inverter/charger, which is also fully field serviceable in the unlikely event of a problem.....not just a throw away unit! This will not only replace your inverter, but will also provide you with one of the best battery charging systems available, including full temperature compensation and programmability for battery type, size of battery bank and other important parameters.

Another benefit that comes with all Magnum inverters is the fully integrated internal transfer switch, which applies 120VAC power to ALL inverter circuits when on shore or generator power....something that your WFCO Chinese unit does not!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:56 PM   #6
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Still can't find it under the queen bed. If under the bed, would it be mounted under the flooring or mounted on the vertical side panel opposite the front cargo hatch. The inside vertical side panel is covered by a layer of grey felt. Maybe it's behind the felt.

I also checked the curb side of the front cargo hatch and did see a mesh-like panel on the curb side of the cargo hatch. Maybe it's behind that panel. I will call Airstream tech support tomorrow to find out what I'm not getting right with regard to inverter loacation.

I also have another question, what happens to an inverter if it is overloaded - does it have a shut down mechanism that prevents damage to the inverter or does it get fried and have to be replaced?

Thanks.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:07 PM   #7
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I wonder if they put the inverter elsewhere in yours. I've described where ours is, though I'll add that it's basically on the forward storage compartment on the curb side, behind a board.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by demijac View Post

I also have another question, what happens to an inverter if it is overloaded - does it have a shut down mechanism that prevents damage to the inverter or does it get fried and have to be replaced?

Thanks.
Depends on internal structure and design of the inverter. Some use sacrificial components on a non-replacable circuit board which makes the unit disposable. Other, quality units have a dedicated re-set feature that will allow a soft (push button) re-set to re-boot the unit and a hard re-set (removing all AC and DC power for 15-20 minutes) to let the energy bleed down from the unit's circuits, capacitors and FETs.

These types of inverters (Magnum Energy products specifically) are all fully field serviceable in the event that you did blow up a board from a power surge or like occurrence. Depends on what features you are looking for and what your budget is.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:21 PM   #9
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Finally Found It

Access to the inverter on a 2014 Classic 27FB was on the curb side of the front cargo hatch. As you look into the cargo hatch, just remove the side panel on the left side. Be forewarned that screwing the side panel back on the way you found it can be a bit time consuming due to the wiring behind the side panel light.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Interesting!

Just where I said it would be:

Yes, the inverter is behind a panel on the curb side accessible either far forward under the bed or thru the front cargo hatch.

Glad they aren't moving things around!!!