Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2020, 03:00 PM   #1
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
WFCO Inverter Remote RJ11 Connector Issue

Nothing is ever easy. I am installing a WFCO 5110H 1000 watt inverter. I have the inverter and the remote switch, but not the wire to connect the remote switch to the inverter. In looking at the remote switch, it’s standard RJ11 4-wire. So I bought a standard RJ11 telephone cable.

Lo and behold, WFCO uses a standard RJ11 on the remote, but at the inverter it’s a narrower version. The standard connector won’t fit. Two different sizes at either end. GAH! WHY?

Anyway I can’t find anything online, is this some proprietary WFCO thing? Any ideas on sourcing? I’ll need to find the narrow connector and splice it in to make a custom cable.

Why would they do it this way? Different size connectors at either end?? Do they love torturing us?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9363.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	378493
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9363.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	378495
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:18 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
This is a *GUESS* but I'm guessing it's a handset cord... same 4-conductor pinout as RJ11 but a narrower connector body. I can't think offhand if I've seen one with RJ11 one one end and handset on the other... I think it's called RJ9 but I also found references to RJ22. I've no idea if anyone makes a standard cable like that, though...

PS: I looked at the PDF of the manual and it does call out the inverter end as an RJ22 port. I've found plenty of RJ11-RJ22 adapters, which seems like it would be one more point of failure. It seems like RJ9 to RJ12 is a pretty common adapter and some places sell cable like that... the larger end has 6 conductors but seems to be the same size as RJ11 so it might be worth a shot.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:39 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Looking close-up at your photo of the back of the remote, there are 6 conductors there so an RJ12-to-RJ22 (or RJ12-to-RJ9) would probably do what you need, if you can find such a critter. Maybe they'll send you one? WFCO's book says the inverter is supposed to come with the cable.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:12 PM   #4
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
WFCO Inverter Remote RJ11 Connector Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Looking close-up at your photo of the back of the remote, there are 6 conductors there so an RJ12-to-RJ22 (or RJ12-to-RJ9) would probably do what you need, if you can find such a critter. Maybe they'll send you one? WFCO's book says the inverter is supposed to come with the cable.

Thanks for checking. The plot thickens. I bought the inverter used, it came from a trailer that was getting upgraded. It includes a remote but the one included is from a later model inverter. (The seller had them all in a box and just grabbed one.) So I think that’s why I seem to need two separate sized connectors at each end. I think I can get the correct remote from the seller. I’m guessing the later model inverters have the wider plug at the remote and the inverter, and the older models the narrower version at both ends. I can confirm when I get to my trailer later (same inverter and remote) that it’s the narrow version on both ends, confirming that I have the wrong remote. If that’s the case I can get the correct one, then just need to find the right cable.

I don’t have a cable because the inverter and remote came out of a trailer, so the original cable was left in the walls of the upgraded trailer.

And you are right—the back of the remote I have appears to have six wires, not 4 like standard phone cable.

Will get it figured out!
Old 09-14-2020, 09:08 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

"RJ" connectors come in sizes to work with 2 to > 12 wires. Each one is a different width to keep you from messing up what goes where. It's pretty easy to get crossed up about what's what.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:39 PM   #6
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
As it turns out I need a cable with 4-conductor RJ22 plug at each end. the correct remote for the inverter I'm using requires that, as does the inverter. I have the wrong remote so I'll send back to seller and get the right one from his grab-bag of parts. It was an easy oversight to make, sending the remote that has a different jack type than the used inverter. One would think they are all the same. Who knew WFCO changed them from 4-wire RJ22, to six-wire RJ11 on the more recent inverters and remote switches. The older remotes are simply "on/off" switches. The newer remotes give more info on the remote panel relating to inverter function. Hence the 6 wires instead of 4, I presume.

Even WFCO's tech support guy argued with me, and said the OLD inverters (the 600W ones) used larger connectors, and the new ones use smaller connectors. I sent him pics, and told him I'm sitting in front of the inverter, and RJ11 does not fit into the connection at the inverter. At that he checked out of the conversation.

Anyway, the RJ22 is typically used for telephone handsets...remember those? No wonder I can't find anywhere! I did find an online cable place that is going to make me one with straight cable, not coiled, in the length I need, with RJ22 connectors on both ends.

I have learned more about RJ connectors in the past couple days than I ever wanted to!

Thanks for feedback!