Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2011, 11:06 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
Eugene , Oregon
Weird Univolt noise (no not the hum) and power flicker

I've gotten used the the loud hum from the univolt in my 1975 Airstream Ambassador but this morning it switched from the hum to a louder growl and the lights power flicked off then on 2-3 times over the course of about an hour. I went ahead and flipped off the power before leaving (I live full time in the Airstream).

I am wondering if this is simply a symptom of the Univolt dying? In which case I figure I just need to replace it. But I haven't seen this symptom mentioned anywhere on the forums.

It's been cold here in Oregon, 28 degrees this morning so I've been running my little oil radiator at a higher temp, and I'm wondering if that's enough to kill an elderly Univolt.

thanks!

C
ovrteakettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
It sounds like the insulation (varnish) is breaking down allowing the metal plates in the core of the transformer to vibrate. It will continue to deteriorate to the point of total failure. I would recommend you replace it ASAP. Depending on it's location, it could become a fire hazard.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
Eugene , Oregon
Thanks! The fire hazard thing is the part that worries me! I think it's fine for the day since I flipped the charger breaker switch which killed all the power and stopped the noise, and I'm guessing my battery is dead because the 12 volt power was off too. I have a friend who works on RVs coming out to look at it today and he says he can put a new transformer in if that's the issue. Since I live in it, I hope it's something fairly simple!
Old 12-06-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Intelli-power's are $150.00
Might be the time to replace the old unit with 21st century electronics.
Inland RV Inland RV Center - The Nations Leading Expert in Airstream Innovations,
or RV Parts Outlet Leading the WORLD in RV Parts Sales - RV PARTS OUTLET
are great!
RV Parts is in Oregon.
Good luck!
Old 12-06-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
Eugene , Oregon
Ah, I didn't know about RV Parts in Oregon, good to know. We've also got Sutton RV which is an Airstream dealer, but it sounds like I can get a part that's not Airstream specific?

Thanks!

C
Old 12-06-2011, 11:52 AM   #6

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
If you have a Univolt and it's plugged in all the time, your battery is probably cooked.

If it's a 120v electric radiator, it has no effect on the Univolt unless it throws the external breaker for the socket your trailer is plugged into.

No one has anything really good to say about Univolts, and the WFCO converter the previous owner put into my trailer seems to manage the battery pretty well.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
Eugene , Oregon
Thanks for all the input! Is it pretty simple to figure out what to buy to replace the Univolt?
Old 12-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #8

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
It seems to be. As I said, I'm happy with my WFCO, and it's my impression that people in general are satisfied with Intellipower and Iota converters. Best Converter is a commercial member of the forums and people give them great reviews for service and support. The page I linked to is specifically about recommendations to replace Univolts.

NOTE: I have no direct experience with Best Converter, though I know from the receipts that's where the previous owner of my Argosy bought the WFCO he installed.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 12-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
Eugene , Oregon
Hmm other (related) question.

I am assuming the weird louder noise is relating to my power going on and off, but I'm basically running on 120 volt as I'm parked and plugged in. Would a dying Univolt affect all my electric or just the 12 volt?
Old 12-06-2011, 05:43 PM   #10

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
It depends on how it dies. If it dies with a short circuit it could take out the 120v circuit it's on, but other than that it shouldn't affect the 120v system. Remember, though, that all the lights are 12v, as is the fan for the furnace. If you have a newer refrigerator, it may have a 12v control board that needs power, though the refrigerator that's original to a '75 doesn't need 12v. A DSI water heater would also require 12v to operate, but a gas-pilot unit doesn't need any electricity.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
Eugene , Oregon
The only things operating on the 12 volt are a couple lights, my fridge and every thing else are on 120. This leads me now to wonder what's up with my power flicking on and off and if it's unrelated to the weird noise from the Univolt.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:43 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Disconnect the Univolt AT THE UNIT. You may have to remove a couple of screws to pull it out far enough to undo the terminals.
If the problem on the 120vac circuits goes away, the Univolt is shorting and pulling the entire grid down. Replace it ASAP.
If the problem DOESN'T go away, then you have a wiring issue in the trailer (or trailer PLUG). Find it and fix it, before it kills someone!!
You may have some burned wires, like behind an electrical outlet, etc.
Don't mean to scare you, but DO NOT ignore electrical problems, especially if you're living in the unit.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:31 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Before you dive into the trailer make sure you have a good connection to the shore power. If the plug shows signs of arcing, that could be the flickering problem. Are you connected to a 30 amp receptacle? What kind of shore power cable do you have? If it is an extension cord plugged into the trailer and at the outlet supplying power, it could be one or both ends.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote