Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2020, 06:31 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
sault sainte marie , Michigan
Irresponsible storage facility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonneur View Post
Last fall, I put my AS 27FB FC into storage at a local RV facility for its second winter. As the year before, when I got it out last Thursday there was not enough power in the batteries to lift the jack. So, we used a battery booster. The facility required me to leave the batteries in and were SUPPOSED to disconnect the batteries when it went into their storage facility. When I got it back to my town, there was enough juice in the batteries to raise the hitch off of the ball. However, when I went back today to start to dewinterize it, I checked the voltage of the brand new Interstate batteries I purchased last September from Costco and found it to be 4.4 volts on both of them.
Last year when this happened I blamed the dealer for not having properly maintained the batteries when it was on the lot (it was still under warranty). This year, I am definitely blaming the RV storage facility.
So, the question is: Should I even try to charge them or are they completely destroyed? My understanding is that anything less than 11 volts or so is beyond help. If they are beyond help, they are still under warranty from Costco and can be returned.
Thanks,
Eric

Sorry to hear about the batteries. But: why would the storage facility care about your batteries being either in the trailer, or connected? Did you not park your own trailer in the storage facility? I would definitely try to charge the batteries, long and slow. Costco will need to charge them to test anyway if they are still in warranty. As another commenter stated, put a switch on the propane sniffer to turn it off when the trailer is not in use. Also use a multimeter to determine if there are parasitic loads on the batteries when not in use, and either disconnect the batteries, or eliminate the parasitic loads when in storage. You can retain any memory by disconnecting the negative battery terminals if necessary. I travel 7 or more months of the year (during MI UP winter) and leave a vehicle in the garage with only the negative cable disconnected, and the battery always has a good charge and the vehicle starts readily. Just some observations.
bartzstream2 is offline   Reply With Quote