RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-29-2020, 11:59 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Tabernash , Colorado
Victron monitor vs Volts

I have installed the victron monitor, with my 2 AGM batteries and 190 watts of solar.

This screenshot is from September after running the heater some of the night. I am a little disappointed in the number of volts left, but I am also confused by the monitor saying I have 99% battery left.

Is this normal?

Unfortunately, I can't "test" as my camper is in offsite winter storage and my batteries are sitting in my garage being trickle charged.

Additionally, I find that my batteries go to almost 12.8 or 12.9 volts very quickly with my solar.

Thanks

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1835.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	382159  
JeffCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
You can't tell state of charge by voltage when the batteries are being charged or discharged. The Victron monitor, when properly calibrated and installed, measures current in and current out of the batteries and keeps track of the cumulative amp-hour usage, comparing that to the battery capacity. A 12V battery at rest should read around 12.6 volts when fully charged. Yours reading above that indicates they are being charged. When being discharged, they will read below that.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Could be normal.

The Victron BMV measures actual current in/out of the batts. I noticed temp is 54 degrees... if you batteries are cold they will absolutely report lower voltages, even when they are full charged.

That being said you may consider re-calibrating the BMV when you know the batteries are fully charged.

RE solar and voltage, your batteries would ready anywhere from 12.8 - 13.6v when being charged. This is the blended voltage coming from your solar controller before being mixed in with 12v draws and the battery voltage itself.

Hope this helps. Lead acid batts always mess with you if you try to pin down / associate their voltage with SOC given all the other parameters (temp, age, etc..)
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 11:04 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Tabernash , Colorado
Thanks

I will recalibrate my monitor in the spring time when its home.

Do you believe that the batteries were still at 99%, but because of the temp the voltage was low? Or because they were being discharged the voltage was low?

I know its a guess, just trying to get a better feel for the accuracy of one versus the other.

Jeff
JeffCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 11:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Victron monitor vs Volts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffCross;
I will recalibrate my monitor in the spring time when its home.

Do you believe that the batteries were still at 99%, but because of the temp the voltage was low? Or because they were being discharged the voltage was low?

I know its a guess, just trying to get a better feel for the accuracy of one versus the other.

Jeff

Low voltage likely due to cold battery. If Victron was setup correctly it is dead accurate in measurement current to / from the batteries and hence actual state of charge.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 05:01 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffCross View Post
I have installed the victron monitor, with my 2 AGM batteries and 190 watts of solar.

This screenshot is from September after running the heater some of the night. I am a little disappointed in the number of volts left, but I am also confused by the monitor saying I have 99% battery left.

Is this normal?

Unfortunately, I can't "test" as my camper is in offsite winter storage and my batteries are sitting in my garage being trickle charged.

Additionally, I find that my batteries go to almost 12.8 or 12.9 volts very quickly with my solar.

Thanks

Jeff
My 2 AGM batteries (Lifeline 80aH each) go to about 14.5V in bulk with the two Zamp 90w rooftop cooking (and rarely pushing more than 90W) and then settle at 13.2-13.3V in float reasonably quickly in mid-day sun, if no signaificant loads are running.
smsasf is offline   Reply With Quote