Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2018, 05:44 AM   #21

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Auburn , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
This topic comes up so often - I threw together a couple (very basic) diagrams for you. Before & after the viltron shunt install.

disclaimer: These are from memory, but close enough

I am also including a battery disconnect switch diagram. installing a mechanical switch (BlueSea or otherwise) in the battery box will prevent unwanted loads from drawing down your batteries even when they are in the "store" mode. these include propane detector, subwoofer and inverter when in standby mode.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the diagrams. If I wanted to add the Zamp port, which side of the shunt would the negative lead go on?
Bobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:41 AM   #22
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
Thanks for the diagrams. If I wanted to add the Zamp port, which side of the shunt would the negative lead go on?
Does this help?
You can see the negative goes thru the shunt.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	131689620.4yhkQpdJ.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	323873  
Old 09-28-2018, 07:47 AM   #23
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
Hi

The negative of *everything* goes to the negative side of the shunt. The only exception to this is the negative of the battery. It goes to the other side of the shunt.

*All* the current from any load or power source needs to go through the shunt. That can only happen if nothing but the shunt connects directly to the negative of the battery.

Crude diagram:

ALL BLACK WIRES ----->. SHUNT - ..... SHUNT + -----> BATTERY NEGATIVE
FROM EVERYWHERE

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 08:05 AM   #24
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Ok..

UB

A question...two batteries in separate compartments, two cables on the +buss and 2 on the -buss.
Am I correct that the shunt can be connected to just one neg cable directly from the battery? 😳

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-28-2018, 10:22 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
UB

A question...two batteries in separate compartments, two cables on the +buss and 2 on the -buss.
Am I correct that the shunt can be connected to just one neg cable directly from the battery? ��

Bob
����
It depends. Typically you would want to measure the total current going into or out of the "battery bank". I'm assuming the batteries are tied together on the negative side and the positive side with two cables from the batteries to a negative bussbar and separate positive cables from both batteries to a positive bussbar, and the loads all connect to the positive bussbar.

Therefore, if you want to know the current going to and from from BOTH sets of batteries, connect the two battery negative leads together to the negative battery side of the shunt. All the other return leads, etc from the loads, including any DC chassis ground connection goes to the negative load side of the shunt. The idea is to make sure EVERY electron going in or out of the battery goes through the shunt before it goes anywhere else.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 01:23 PM   #26
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
It depends. Typically you would want to measure the total current going into or out of the "battery bank". I'm assuming the batteries are tied together on the negative side and the positive side with two cables from the batteries to a negative bussbar and separate positive cables from both batteries to a positive bussbar, and the loads all connect to the positive bussbar.

Therefore, if you want to know the current going to and from from BOTH sets of batteries, connect the two battery negative leads together to the negative battery side of the shunt. All the other return leads, etc from the loads, including any DC chassis ground connection goes to the negative load side of the shunt. The idea is to make sure EVERY electron going in or out of the battery goes through the shunt before it goes anywhere else.
Only three connections on the pos buss... converter and the two battery cables. All 6 on the neg buss are full, some with 2 leads. One 6g wire goes from the pos buss to the use/store then to the 12v fuse panel.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-29-2018, 07:28 AM   #27
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
UB

Am I correct that the shunt can be connected to just one neg cable directly from the battery? 😳

Bob
🇺🇸
Hi

There is no free lunch in this case. You need to get the negative from both batteries to the top side of the shunt. Everything else goes to the bottom side of the shunt.

I had pretty much the same issue when I put the two lithium's in the battery box and the other two under the sofa. I decided to bring all the "load" wires indoors and put the shunt there. The "negative" wire from the outside batteries had to be added to the setup.

The shunt needs to be indoors / kept dry so even with all the batteries in the battery box, you may well run a negative wire back indoors. Having in with all the other stuff makes the rest of the wiring a bit easier, but that's not the big issue.

Lots of fun !!

Bob
Old 09-29-2018, 09:37 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
this is our new monitoring setup after adding the victron controller for the 3000W controller/inverter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	monitoring tools above fridge-with annotations.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	323955  
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:12 PM   #29
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
By the way here’s a picture of the blue sea battery disconnect switch installed in the battery box. You really should consider putting one of these in so you don’t destroy your batteries with a constant draw.
What model disconnect switch did you use?

Thanks!
Hans627 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:24 PM   #30
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

There is no free lunch in this case. You need to get the negative from both batteries to the top side of the shunt. Everything else goes to the bottom side of the shunt.

I had pretty much the same issue when I put the two lithium's in the battery box and the other two under the sofa. I decided to bring all the "load" wires indoors and put the shunt there. The "negative" wire from the outside batteries had to be added to the setup.

The shunt needs to be indoors / kept dry so even with all the batteries in the battery box, you may well run a negative wire back indoors. Having in with all the other stuff makes the rest of the wiring a bit easier, but that's not the big issue.

Lots of fun !!

Bob
Well another 2' needed...👌🏽🤓

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-29-2018, 07:27 PM   #31
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Well another 2' needed...👌🏽🤓

Bob
🇺🇸
Hi

You don't want to know just how many shipments of wire (and lugs and ...) came in from Amazon while I was re-wiring the trailer .....

Bob
Old 09-29-2018, 07:34 PM   #32
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

You don't want to know just how many shipments of wire (and lugs and ...) came in from Amazon while I was re-wiring the trailer .....

Bob
Tell me about it...Amazon missed todays delivery, new crimper set and Zamp solar harness. 👎

Hans...I went simple.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-30-2018, 07:22 AM   #33
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Tell me about it...Amazon missed todays delivery, new crimper set and Zamp solar harness. 👎

Hans...I went simple.

Bob
🇺🇸
Hi

They did that to me a couple of times while I was rewiring. We had a deadline and everything ran right up to it. There still are one or two other chores that need to be done as a result.

I also have this giant pile of wire and lugs if anybody else wants to stop by and wire their trailer ....

Bob
Old 10-01-2018, 08:38 AM   #34
JFTKSU78

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Olathe , Kansas
Maybe a dumb question - to simplify 712 shunt install: Have two Lifeline GPL-4CT 6V in series. If the battery box is sealed with a weatherproof gasket could the shunt be installed simply between the two batteries in series to measure current...as what goes through the batts must go out to cover all flow of charge in/out?
jftompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:18 AM   #35
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
If this style Bbox... I don't see how it will be sealed 100%. We have the 'box' on the Classic, (but no batts in it), and I had to drill drainage in the bottom even after putting a gasket on the lid.

...I believe the shunt will live better inside. Maybe you could encapsulate it. Even in a bag condensation may be an issue.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC07751.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	277.8 KB
ID:	324175  
Old 10-01-2018, 09:19 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Peoria , Arizona
I think this represents what you are asking about the shunt between the 2 batteries which is what I did:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3449.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	324176  
Old 10-01-2018, 11:30 AM   #37
JFTKSU78

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
If this style Bbox... I don't see how it will be sealed 100%. We have the 'box' on the Classic, (but no batts in it), and I had to drill drainage in the bottom even after putting a gasket on the lid.

...I believe the shunt will live better inside. Maybe you could encapsulate it. Even in a bag condensation may be an issue.

Bob

[emoji631]

Thanks....will probably go with conventional wisdom from this forum....thinking now “outside the box”.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:36 AM   #38
JFTKSU78

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7our View Post
I think this represents what you are asking about the shunt between the 2 batteries which is what I did:

Yes....thanks for sharing another way to do it.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:24 AM   #39
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The gotcha with the shunt isn't the shunt it's self, but the circuit board attached to the shunt. It's very much an un-protected item and not designed for outdoor use. Having spent my life designing that sort of stuff, it takes a lot to protect a board like that from the elements. Mounting it in some sort of box helps, but is far from perfect.

Of course, they aren't all that expensive. If it fails, just buy another 712 and replace it....

Bob
Old 10-02-2018, 09:42 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jftompkins View Post
Maybe a dumb question - to simplify 712 shunt install: Have two Lifeline GPL-4CT 6V in series. If the battery box is sealed with a weatherproof gasket could the shunt be installed simply between the two batteries in series to measure current...as what goes through the batts must go out to cover all flow of charge in/out?
The batteries need to "breathe" if they are not lithium, which the Lifelines are not. Therefore do not put the batteries in a sealed box. That hydrogen gas has to go somewhere.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote