Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2014, 11:30 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibby View Post
I just ordered a new 2015 bunkhouse 30' FC, and asked the dealer to upgrade the inverter system to one that is high quaility/output and to upgrade the batteries to deep-cycle gel or AGM. I would love to gather insight from this group in trying to understand what provider will work best for me... What inverter system? What batteries?

I will not have solar on this unit, but I do carry two honda 2000 generators.

Hibby

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Hibby, that depends..........on how long you want your batteries to last and how much energy you intend to draw from them. New Airstreams have all LED lighting....a PLUS! If you use an inverter, how much microwave use, hairdryer use and TV watching do you intend to do off-grid. I say off-grid meaning without generator use also.

Where do you intend to place the new batteries? The existing battery tongue mounted battery box will hole a pair of LIfeline GPL-27T AGM batteries at 100 amp/hours each for a 200 amp/hour battery bank. Extend the top about an inch and a half and you can fit a pair of Lifeline GPL-4CT 6VDC golf cart batteries at 220 amp/hours total. Place a pair of GPL-6CT 6VDC golf cart batteries under the front couch or bed and you have 300 amp/hours total.

Quality inverters like Magnums come in lots of sizes, and most are inverter/chargers with Magnum's fine 4 stage charging sections and full temperature compensation for the charging voltage. 1000, 2000 and 2800 watt sine wave models with 50 amp, 100 amp and 25 amp charging sections respectively.

The new magnum MSH-3012M is a hybrid inverter/charger that can supplement the power from a smaller grid source like a single 2000 watt generator or 20 amp service line to run larger trailer loads. We have several clients that are using the MSH-3012M with a single Honda or Yamaha 2000 and easily start and run their roof A/C unit. They also have solar to replenish their batteries, but your generator can also do this when it is not running large loads.

Lots of choices. Just be sure that you are working with someone who really knows and understands the interactions of all of the upgraded components that you are interested in and will provide you with the best systems for your needs and budget.....not just what they want to sell you or what is easier to install.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:32 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
PD 4655 Update for my 23'

[QUOTE=Silvery Moon;1478980]I'm pleased to report that today I successfully completed the upgrade from PLax 7355 to PD 4655. The wiring is pretty straightforward, just follow the directions closely and read through all the tips here on the forums.

Stuff of note, in no particular order:
  • The PLax in my 2014 AS had a very odd and per my electrical guy at the hardware store, not-up-to-code, pigtail for the black wire on the AC side of the circuit. They wire-nutted an incoming 20 Amp wire to a pigtail wire, crimped the other end of that pigtail wire together with the controller wire, ending in a post, which they then shoved into the 20 Amp breaker. My electrical guy said that was a huge no-no and would not sell me such a crimp/post combo. He had me buy a foot of black 12 gauge wire and a properly sized wire nut that would handle three 12 gauge wires. Per his instructions, I then wire-nutted the incoming black 20 amp wire, the controller black wire and the new section of wire (yes, 3 wires into one wire nut). Next I put the single new pigtail wire into the 20 Amp breaker. This, I'm told, is what code requires. Perhaps electrical code is different in OH or for TT vs. houses. Who knows. Otherwise, AS has some 'splainin to do. Per the PD instructions, do NOT attempt to stick two wires into that 20 Amp breaker. That is *very* no-no, do *not* attempt.
Fedex delivered my PD 4655 yesterday and I'm going to install it today. I checked how the wire mentioned above is hooked up to the breaker and found the same setup on the 120 volt breaker that feeds the converter. Apparently it's not so "odd" but a widespread practice in our trailers. Do the resident electrical gurus have any guidance/comments/cautions on hooking it back up the way it came from the factory? Not to imply there's not better ways to do things but the solid post going into the breaker seems no different than the solid hot wire from the romex going into the others. But..... I'm no electrical engineer and don't know all the code for RVs.
Thanks,,,,, tb
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:14 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Upgrading the converter and inverter in my 2014 27FB

I hope to replace this stock converter as mentioned above within the next 6-8 months - nearly dried up my batteries - still not clear if it damaged them but so far it appears not - need more testing

How much for such an upgrade (just the inverter/converter? To power the stock wet cells for now but that would allow upgraded batteries later

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:37 AM   #24
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Here's the item on Amazon Prime:
Amazon.com: Progressive Dynamics (PD4655V) 55 Amp Converter/Charger with Built-In Charge Wizard: Automotive

Here it is on Best Converters:
PD4655 55 Amp Converter Upgrade Section
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:38 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I think the PD4655 is about $220 or so. I sold my original on eBay for $199 shipped. Netted about $160 or so.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:51 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I re read the thread and foggy on the difference of magnum vs this PD model

Easier less costly install it seems?

I will have only a generator probably for a while at this point (pick it up tomorrow yay) as it relates

I have stock 1000w inverter and would not require it much at all for the next few years I suspect but a bit later more so

Old 09-19-2014, 12:18 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Install is finished. Fortunately I had a good amount of slack on the battery wires so I loosened the strain relief and that made it easier. Was able to run both of them over the top of the board. There was an extra knock out tab in the box so moved them from the bottom. After reading about it being hard to get the 12 volt board screwed back on, I waited till it was on before I hooked the battery wires into the terminals. Not too bad job at all, would rate it on the easier side of DIY. Took my time and carefully read the instructions.

Also, with the converter pulled out made for a good time to get a good look around and get the vacuum in there. I had the batteries replaced recently, under warranty, so hopefully things will be better in that department.
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:25 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Got tired of ruining my batteries and called Randy at Best Converters.Installed the Ultra III unit in approx 20mins ($220) threw Parallex in dumpster and installed new Lifeline group 27's($500).Replaced every light in my trailer with LED's fromled4rv.com($600).
Just returned from a 45 day 8,000 mile adventure and could not be happier.Huge difference in charging quality, performance power usage.One of the best upgrades I have done.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:35 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Got tired of ruining my batteries and called Randy at Best Converters.Installed the Ultra III unit in approx 20mins ($220) threw Parallex in dumpster and installed new Lifeline group 27's($500).Replaced every light in my trailer with LED's fromled4rv.com($600).
Best upgrade so far.Just returned from a 45 day 8,000 mile adventure and could not be happier.Huge difference in charging quality, performance power usage.One of the best upgrades I have done.
Did that require a modification to your battery box?
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:45 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Yes,took 10min with a 6 inch grinder and 10 mins to paint area I ground on.All you do is remove about a 1/2 inch of the rear lip on the box surround and leave a 3 inch strip in the middle alone for the battery lock arm to function.I also installed longer positive and negative cables for the jump cables only as the factory main cables are fine for the close battery.

Structural integrity is not compromised (for those naysayers on the forum).

I got the longer jump cables at Bass Pro shops.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:17 PM   #31
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Yes,took 10min with a 6 inch grinder and 10 mins to paint area I ground on.All you do is remove about a 1/2 inch of the rear lip on the box surround and leave a 3 inch strip in the middle alone for the battery lock arm to function.I also installed longer positive and negative cables for the jump cables only as the factory main cables are fine for the close battery.

Structural integrity is not compromised (for those naysayers on the forum).

I got the longer jump cables at Bass Pro shops.

TECH TIP!

You will find it to be more pleasing (and easier to do) if you remove the rivets from the top cover and cut away that 1/2" from the flat front lip. Re-paint, re-rivet the cover and it is invisible.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
Old 09-19-2014, 01:21 PM   #32
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I re read the thread and foggy on the difference of magnum vs this PD model

Easier less costly install it seems?

I will have only a generator probably for a while at this point (pick it up tomorrow yay) as it relates

I have stock 1000w inverter and would not require it much at all for the next few years I suspect but a bit later more so

Depends on what batteries you have and how long you want them to last. The Magnum has one of the best charging sections available. Also has full temperature compensation and is programmable for battery type and the size of your battery bank. These features are not available on converters.

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
Old 09-19-2014, 01:27 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
TECH TIP!

You will find it to be more pleasing (and easier to do) if you remove the rivets from the top cover and cut away that 1/2" from the flat front lip. Re-paint, re-rivet the cover and it is invisible.

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
Great info Lew.

I had solar and AGMs installed last week at AM Solar. They were out of Inteli-Power 4645s.

I'd like to find someone in my area to do the install. What credentials should they have to do this job and how much labor is involved?

I'm always cautious about having the A/S dealer do almost anything despite the fact that they say "sure, we can do that".
Old 09-19-2014, 01:54 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Thanks for the info

What is ballpark labor cost for the magnum install + new lifeline agm batteries including slight box modifications ?

My hope is that I will just drag along ok with all my current stuff for 3 years then I can get a bit of solar and the converter/inverter and a battery upgrade.

How can I for now with my current equipment do the best I can to keep batteries healthy as is?

Obviously not leaving in "use" battery mode and keep batteries topped off with my battery tender I have now (although I am unsure of it's quality

Old 09-19-2014, 02:22 PM   #35
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
Great info Lew.

I had solar and AGMs installed last week at AM Solar. They were out of Inteli-Power 4645s.

I'd like to find someone in my area to do the install. What credentials should they have to do this job and how much labor is involved?

I'm always cautious about having the A/S dealer do almost anything despite the fact that they say "sure, we can do that".

It's not a big job....... Just removing and replacing the AC and fuse wiring from the P/lax to the new PD. Usually takes me under an hour.

Try to find a Certified RV tech in your area with a lot of electrical experience.

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
Old 09-19-2014, 02:23 PM   #36
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Thanks for the info

What is ballpark labor cost for the magnum install + new lifeline agm batteries including slight box modifications ?

My hope is that I will just drag along ok with all my current stuff for 3 years then I can get a bit of solar and the converter/inverter and a battery upgrade.

How can I for now with my current equipment do the best I can to keep batteries healthy as is?

Obviously not leaving in "use" battery mode and keep batteries topped off with my battery tender I have now (although I am unsure of it's quality

Geek,

PM me for details.

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
Old 02-20-2015, 05:44 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Victor , New York
Mhg nm , . ,because ,like l

L il blip. K .m 11

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Meddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:23 AM   #38
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
Might want to fix that I-Pad....
Old 02-20-2015, 12:03 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Victor , New York
Sorry about that everyone...my 1 year old (tomorrow) got ahold of my iPad. Yes, she can slide to unlock it!
Meddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:11 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
> new Airstreams have all LED lighting ....

not the Sports I understand.

I see the need for the inverter and an efficient one at that.

If these AGM batteries, particularly the Lifelines really are super super robust, then is it necessary or worthwhile to go through the trouble of replacing the converter/charger with something non-standard ?
timhortons is offline   Reply With Quote