Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2022, 07:33 AM   #1

2018 28' International
Charleston , Missouri
Upgraded inverter, how to get microwave working

2018 international, with solar package installed. I upgraded to a 3000 watt inverter. Currently only 3 outlets work, how do I get the microwave using shore power and the new inverter.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 08:20 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
As supplied by the factory, the inverter circuits will not power any circuits except the ones leading to outlets shown in circuit 7 on attachment. You would have to look at your owner's manual to see how yours is wired.

On my 2018 27FB Flying Cloud, the microwave is connected to circuit 5. There are serious safety concerns about jumping to this breaker. While theoretically possible, I would not do it.

In my case, I installed a Victron Multiplus II when I wanted to power the Microwave. I did it as part of a lithium upgrade. It was a big deal. See my report here. The advantage of the Multiplus is that it has a circuit that is only activated when connected to shore power. I put the HVAC units and the hot water heater on this circuit, but arranged for the microwave to run off the battery. It works nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Electrical.png
Views:	53
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	420939  
jnm30327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 02:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnm30327 View Post
As supplied by the factory, the inverter circuits will not power any circuits except the ones leading to outlets shown in circuit 7 on attachment. You would have to look at your owner's manual to see how yours is wired.

On my 2018 27FB Flying Cloud, the microwave is connected to circuit 5. There are serious safety concerns about jumping to this breaker. While theoretically possible, I would not do it.

In my case, I installed a Victron Multiplus II when I wanted to power the Microwave. I did it as part of a lithium upgrade. It was a big deal. See my report here. The advantage of the Multiplus is that it has a circuit that is only activated when connected to shore power. I put the HVAC units and the hot water heater on this circuit, but arranged for the microwave to run off the battery. It works nicely.
I also have a problem with my Inverter looking for advice.
We have a 2017 Classic and the inverter fan began running yesterday afternoon and has been running continuously.
No devices plugged into the inverter powered outlets and have not been using the TV at all the only appliance plugged in.
I did find it located under the Galley.
It is rather noisy and kept me up half the night.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 04:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
I also have a problem with my Inverter looking for advice.
We have a 2017 Classic and the inverter fan began running yesterday afternoon and has been running continuously.
No devices plugged into the inverter powered outlets and have not been using the TV at all the only appliance plugged in.
I did find it located under the Galley.
It is rather noisy and kept me up half the night.
If you're not using the inverter, there should be a switch on the inverter to turn it off.(even if you have a remote switch) This should stop the fan, though there may be a problem with your inverter.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 10:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
If you're not using the inverter, there should be a switch on the inverter to turn it off.(even if you have a remote switch) This should stop the fan, though there may be a problem with your inverter.
I turned of the inverter at the firefly panel but the fan keeps on running.
And the " Inverter outlet is live ".
I am connected to shore power of course.

I am not clear on how the inverter works .

Is there a switch on the inverter itself to turned it off ?
This thing is keeping us awake at night and we are on the road for two more days.
Old 08-24-2022, 03:04 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
On my trailer, there is a black button on the kitchen wall below the SeeLevel indicators. It turns the inverter on and off. There is a green light when it is on.

Do you see a green light?

If so, depress and release the button to get it off. It is a soft button.
jnm30327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 03:09 PM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnm30327 View Post
On my trailer, there is a black button on the kitchen wall below the SeeLevel indicators. It turns the inverter on and off. There is a green light when it is on.

Do you see a green light?

If so, depress and release the button to get it off. It is a soft button.
Hi

On a 2017 Classic, the Firefly system runs the inverter. There is a button on the main keypad over the dinette TV. It is on the screen that comes up when you hit the "home" button. Same screen as shows you the tank levels.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 03:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
I turned of the inverter at the firefly panel but the fan keeps on running.
And the " Inverter outlet is live ".
I am connected to shore power of course.

I am not clear on how the inverter works .

Is there a switch on the inverter itself to turned it off ?
This thing is keeping us awake at night and we are on the road for two more days.
I have seen an inverter with a remote switch that also had a switch fiscally on the inverter and there were posts from a couple others reporting the same. Unfortunately Airstream is not consistent with what they use so without the make and model of your inverter there is no way to be sure without seeing your inverter.

There is the option of taking off a 12v wire, that will stop it.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 08:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

On a 2017 Classic, the Firefly system runs the inverter. There is a button on the main keypad over the dinette TV. It is on the screen that comes up when you hit the "home" button. Same screen as shows you the tank levels.

Bob
Thank you all for helping out.
Here is what I found.
1. The Firefly Inverter on/off switch is not working. In the off mode the fan is
still running.
2. Found the access to the Inverter under the Microwave drawer. The on/off
switch would not turn of the unit either.
3. Disconnecting the Shore Power turning the Use switch of wouldn't effect
the Inverter it keep running and the two outlets are powered up to
120 Volts with everything else electronic turned off.
4. I believe the inverter is connected directly to the Batteries period.
5. The Inverter is working however its working too well because it can't
be turned off either with the firefly nor the on off switch on the unit.
6. I will have to disconnect it from the batteries once I get back home
so it doesn't destroy my new AGMs and replace it.
Old 08-24-2022, 09:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
The inverter is indeed wired directly to the battery, and with very heavy gauge cable, due to the current draw. One other option you might find is an in-line fuse for the inverter, if you have one, you can remove that fuse, and that will remove power (that should be marginally easier than removing wires from your battery).
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 11:13 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Thank you all for helping out.
Here is what I found.
1. The Firefly Inverter on/off switch is not working. In the off mode the fan is
still running.
2. Found the access to the Inverter under the Microwave drawer. The on/off
switch would not turn of the unit either.
3. Disconnecting the Shore Power turning the Use switch of wouldn't effect
the Inverter it keep running and the two outlets are powered up to
120 Volts with everything else electronic turned off.
4. I believe the inverter is connected directly to the Batteries period.
5. The Inverter is working however its working too well because it can't
be turned off either with the firefly nor the on off switch on the unit.
6. I will have to disconnect it from the batteries once I get back home
so it doesn't destroy my new AGMs and replace it.
Hi

Just for grins, try disconnecting the on/off remote wire that goes between the Firefly and the inverter. It may well be that the switches are an "either or" in terms of turning on the inverter. If either one of them tells it to turn on, that's what it does.

As mentioned above, even with a 2017 30' Classic, there is no way to know if your inverter and mine actually work the same way. My stock inverter is long gone. In fact, the inverter that replaced it also is also long gone as well. Thus not much way to check things out here....

When shopping for an inverter, a rational thing to consider is a hybrid inverter / charger. It eliminates the separate converter / charger by putting both the inverter and charger functions in one box.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 07:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Just for grins, try disconnecting the on/off remote wire that goes between the Firefly and the inverter. It may well be that the switches are an "either or" in terms of turning on the inverter. If either one of them tells it to turn on, that's what it does.

As mentioned above, even with a 2017 30' Classic, there is no way to know if your inverter and mine actually work the same way. My stock inverter is long gone. In fact, the inverter that replaced it also is also long gone as well. Thus not much way to check things out here....

When shopping for an inverter, a rational thing to consider is a hybrid inverter / charger. It eliminates the separate converter / charger by putting both the inverter and charger functions in one box.

Bob
Thank you all for responding.
Not being able to turn it of at the Firefly nor at the Inverter switch I disconnected the positive cable at the batteries.
Called the local dealer service and they are suspicious about the Firefly hinting that the panel might need to be replaced. Of course they are 6 weeks out to get me in.
I am spending this weekend to find the problem myself.
Old 09-27-2022, 09:26 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Flying Cloud
Sparta , NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
2018 international, with solar package installed. I upgraded to a 3000 watt inverter. Currently only 3 outlets work, how do I get the microwave using shore power and the new inverter.
To the OP, what I did was pull the a/c lines from the back of the breaker panel on the microwave, 15k BTU AC, and for all outlets on the curbside,bathroom and bedroom of my Flying Cloud and opposite of what the factory 1000w inverter powers and attached those lines to a subpanel installed under the sink of my bathroom which is connected to a 2000w Progressive Dynamics inverter. I was fortunate that those romex lines that tied to the breakers had enough length to reach the subpanel. Just barely. Had to run new 10/2 romex of course from the breaker panel to the added inverter and back to subpanel but works awesome. I can't run everything simultaneously of course and just need to use your head. I put both A/C units on MicroAir EasyStarts for less noise and also so the 15k unit can work off the inverter. Since EZ Start installation, can also run both A/Cs simultaneously on 30amp shore power service so another plus. When inverting, running on 200ah BB batts but currently upgrading to 500ah. So in summary, this can be done but you need to know and plan your wiring arrangements.
Electronut is offline   Reply With Quote