Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2021, 10:45 PM   #1

1981 31' Excella II
Phoenix , Arizona
Univolt upgrade

Hello,
I’m Looking for an onsite person to replace my univolt system for a modern converter/charging system in the Phoenix Arizona area... I’ve run out of time but need to get it resolved before June 15th 2021. Thanks Jere jeroluisis@gmail.com
Jero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 06:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Look for a mobile RV service in the area. Great thing to get done. Not a hard installation. Very tight timeframe unless you could do it yourself or have a handy friend. Who ever does it will probably have to order a unit That takes some time. Best converter gives pretty fast delivery times. Maybe go ahead and order a unit and then look for an installer.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 09:31 AM   #3

1981 31' Excella II
Phoenix , Arizona
Thanks. There is a mobile RV repair place not far from me and From other posts on this site, I think I know what to order. I’ve done a lot of repairs on my 1981 Excella II my self, both Major and minor and with every project I had to become an “expert” on how Airstream does things. I’m afraid the average RV repair person might be confused with the Univolt system, so I was hoping to find someone local who had done it before... maybe I’m over thinking it but I know that I need to replace it and I can’t squeeze anymore time out of my schedule.
Jero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 11:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Easiest way I found. If it is under the sofa. Unbolt the sofa and stand it up and swivel it out of the way. Unplug the Univolt and disconnect the battery grounds. Drill the rivets out of the Univolt cover. Pry off the cover. Cut the wires right at the terminals. Hook the wires to the new converter, paying attention to plus and minus. Cap off the small extra black wire from the trailer. The power on indicator light on the upper panel will no longer work. No clean or easy way to fix that. Screw the converter to the floor. Plug the new converter in and put the sofa back. I use a Boondocker from Best Converter and the two I have installed work fine. No overcharging and the battery gets charged better than with the Univolt. Great upgrade all around.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote