Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Summit , Mississippi
Univolt replacement question(s)....

I have a 27' 1970 A/S Overlander TT with the rear bathroom. l original univolt is mounted in the right rear storage compartment under the bathtub in the back portion of the compartment.

I conversed some with Randy of bestconverter.com and he suggested I replace it with a Powermax Boondocker 45 or 60 amp unit, a group 27 AGM battery, his 9 position fuse block, and a shunt since I want to install a monitoring device instead of using the old A/S control panel mounted above the front couch.

My questions. Is there enough space to do this inside the same univolt compartment for the Powermax, fuse block and shunt? Has anyone else done this and have pictures to share? Most of what I see on the forums does not use this compartment. I plan to use the same battery compartment in the rear access of the TT which is still in close proximity to the univolt compartment.

I asked about some of this in an earlier thread. This question is specifically about the space needed.

Thanks!!!
SummitAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
My converter is in the front, so the pics aren't much help other than comparing the relative size of the units.. The original Univolt is a massive thing. Newer converters are much more compact. The Boondocker 60 is 10.5x7.3.5. You will have lots of room left over.

Take a tape or a ruler out and see how these dimensions compare to your existing Univolt. You'll feel a lot better.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
interesting Randy suggests the Powermax as it does not appear to offer any sulfation inhibiting technique during storage mode. Float only is old school (pre 90's).

The AGM battery is a question as well. There is really no need for this type of battery in typical RV service. They usually cost about twice as much, offer about 1.5 times the service life, and still need a proper battery box.

As for the space needed, the converter and fuse block should fit where the old Univolt was. On my 75 Ambassador, there is a lot of room behind the tub but I don't like electrical stuff where I can't get to it and I do like to keep separation between water and electricity as much as I can. So I moved my converter and fuse block forward. I also like to keep any heavy items as close to the axles as I can.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
... The Boondocker 60 is 10.5x7.3.5. You will have lots of room left over...
OK, that should have been 10.5x7x3.5
Old 02-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Summit , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanl View Post
interesting Randy suggests the Powermax as it does not appear to offer any sulfation inhibiting technique during storage mode. Float only is old school (pre 90's).

The AGM battery is a question as well. There is really no need for this type of battery in typical RV service. They usually cost about twice as much, offer about 1.5 times the service life, and still need a proper battery box.

As for the space needed, the converter and fuse block should fit where the old Univolt was. On my 75 Ambassador, there is a lot of room behind the tub but I don't like electrical stuff where I can't get to it and I do like to keep separation between water and electricity as much as I can. So I moved my converter and fuse block forward. I also like to keep any heavy items as close to the axles as I can.
What would you suggest for a battery and a converter from bestconverter.com I assume? I will plan to move mine forward as well and use the old converter footprint for miscellaneous storage.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Summit , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
OK, that should have been 10.5x7x3.5
I figured as much and already measured. Plenty of room. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
re: "What would you suggest for a battery and a converter from bestconverter.com I assume?" -- something with a multiple stage charger and a storage mode that provides a sulfation inhibiting technique.

The Progressive Dynamics with ChargeWizard works well in my experience but Randy and Lew p all over it for reasons I don't understand. The Iota also seems to fit the bill, too. The WFCO is another but the user response for it seems mixed.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Shaker Heights , Ohio
Just found this thread-Summitair-did you ever do this mod-I too have the same Overlander and have been considering this mod too.
rayandre is offline   Reply With Quote