Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2003, 08:54 AM   #21
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
The Univolt should not cook the batteries and if it is, there's probably something wrong with the Univolt. Again the output voltage should be between 13.8 and 14.2.
yeah, it shouldn't.....but it does!

my univolt does output between 13.8 and 14.2 volts....all the time, whether it needs to or not. I thought that was the problem: it sends a constant voltage to the battery, regardless of the charge state of the battery, and that this is what'll happen with any charger, if you leave it on for too long. (that is, any charger without the features of the "charge-wizard", that monitors the battery's condition and adjusts itself accordingly).
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 02:18 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Seems intermintant charging best...

.... So I have read from the various posts... (unless one goes for a REAL Intellicharger with a battery moniter) ....

The best results are apparently occasionally charging with the Univolt. Since I like the idea of leaving the TT plugged in I am thinking of installing a 110 volt 24 hour timer in line with the charger.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this idea. I could set it to charge for say one hour a day and still have 110 all the time.

I do monitor with a digital multimeter for accurate voltage and have a specific gravity float to check as well.

Steve
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote