The Univolt should not cook the batteries and if it is, there's probably something wrong with the Univolt. Again the output voltage should be between 13.8 and 14.2.
yeah, it shouldn't.....but it does!
my univolt does output between 13.8 and 14.2 volts....all the time, whether it needs to or not. I thought that was the problem: it sends a constant voltage to the battery, regardless of the charge state of the battery, and that this is what'll happen with any charger, if you leave it on for too long. (that is, any charger without the features of the "charge-wizard", that monitors the battery's condition and adjusts itself accordingly).