Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2016, 10:13 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
Lawrence , Kansas
Two Prong Outlet and Voltage Monitor

Will a voltage monitor with a ground fault warning work if I change out a two prong ground outlet with a three prong outlet and ground it to the frame like the two prong outlet? I have not been able to find a two prong monitor with ground fault warning.
ttbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
It sounds like you want to install a ground fault circuit interrupter the outlet?
Or were you wishing to use a device that plugs into a grounded outlet to show that the ground, power and neutral are wired properly?

If it is either of the two above cases, then electrically using the trailer frame/skin for the "safety ground" will work as long as the frame/skin is grounded at the panel. There may be undesirable side effects, such as electrolysis corrosion.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:37 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Lawrence , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgschwend View Post
It sounds like you want to install a ground fault circuit interrupter the outlet?
Or were you wishing to use a device that plugs into a grounded outlet to show that the ground, power and neutral are wired properly?

If it is either of the two above cases, then electrically using the trailer frame/skin for the "safety ground" will work as long as the frame/skin is grounded at the panel. There may be undesirable side effects, such as electrolysis corrosion.
I want to use a voltage monitor that has a ground fault indicator in my 64 airstream which has two prong outlets. These types of monitoring systems are 3 pronged. I would keep this plunged into the outlet to monitor voltage while on shore power. I can replace the 2 prong outlet with a 3 prong outlet. I believe it is grounded at the panel. Of course I could change the outlet and see if it shows a ground fault (like it would if I would just use a 2 pronged adapter) but hate to mess with old wiring. Especially if it' is in tight spot and if is not going to work.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Why don't you use your three-prong monitor to confirm that there are no faults at the exterior outlet and then connect your trailer? In most cases a fault in a shore power outlet would already be present, so checking the exterior outlet before connecting your trailer makes sense. Rarely would you find a shore power fault occur after connecting to shore power - with the exception of high and low voltage surges.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:35 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Lawrence , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by alano View Post
Why don't you use your three-prong monitor to confirm that there are no faults at the exterior outlet and then connect your trailer? In most cases a fault in a shore power outlet would already be present, so checking the exterior outlet before connecting your trailer makes sense. Rarely would you find a shore power fault occur after connecting to shore power - with the exception of high and low voltage surges.
Thanks for the help every one. I think I will change out a plug and see. I am thinking of changing all the plugs any way just I can stop carrying adapters.

It is probably me being paranoid but I worry about an old trailers grounding system failing. I do check the shore power before hooking up. I do currently use a two pronged voltage meter. I bought a new monitor that has a audio warnings system with ground vault and polarizations warnings which I like but did not think about it being 3 pronged at purchase.