Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2015, 08:16 PM   #1
Nod
2 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
1971 21' Globetrotter
Somewhere , Mississippi
Trace engineering 2012 charger help

I have a trace engineering model 2012 2 stage charger inverter on my camper that I inherited from my dad. It has set for about 7 years, has solar panels on it and the batteries went bad. I replaced the batteries today. It seems that the inverter has gone bad or just quit working. What would be a good replacement for this charger or does anybody know where I can get it fixed? I have not taken it out yet to see if it is something that I can maybe fix. Thanks for any help.
Nod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:17 PM   #2
Nod
2 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
1971 21' Globetrotter
Somewhere , Mississippi
It looks like the inverter was just hooked up to run 120 volts. It had the positive and negative cables hooked to it but there is a cord plugged into the 120V output plug on the side. There is an intella power pd9155 plugged into the camper wiring and a male plug comes out of that and plugged into the output of the inverter. This camper has solar panels on it and they are hooked to the battery bank. Two 6v batteries. What would be a good replacement stand alone inverter to replace this 2000 watt inverter with. It must be toast, it is only putting out 2.2 volts now. Thanks for any reply's?
Old 05-16-2015, 06:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Sounds like your dad plugged the PD 9155 into the inverter for some strange reason. It would not work out using the inverter output to charge the batteries, but the inverter takes power from the batteries. Maybe he thought the solar was enough to compensate. Hard to tell what was in mind.

At any rate, before you do anything, I would simply replace the batteries. Sounds like they are 6 volt golf cart type. Plug the PD 9155 into grid power and see if it seems to work to keep the batteries charged.

Leave the Trace 2012 in place for an inverter, but shut it off when not using it. It was a good unit and still probably works fine once it has a proper 12 volt input.

So, new batteries are the first step. Only then you will know if things are working properly. You then can evaluate the PD 9155 (a good unit too) and the Trace inverter. I bet both are just fine.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:51 AM   #4
Nod
2 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
1971 21' Globetrotter
Somewhere , Mississippi
I have replaced the batteries. Everything works except the inverter, puts out 2.2 volts. There is a 3 way switch that he installed. Has Camp power, silent generator, and camp power/battery charger. Every thing works like it should when I put the switch in the different positions. I hooked up a small inverter, 320w 2.8amps to the batteries. It cuts itself off when I plug it in like the big one was. Maybe it is drawing to much current from the little inverter?