Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
AS plugged in while in storage

Unless you travel frequently, and want the trailer "ready to go" why waste the energy keeping it plugged in 24/7? I put the trailer plugged into a timer which turns on for about a two hour period in order to keep the battery charged. Wolf146
wolf146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf146 View Post
Unless you travel frequently, and want the trailer "ready to go" why waste the energy keeping it plugged in 24/7? I put the trailer plugged into a timer which turns on for about a two hour period in order to keep the battery charged. Wolf146
I'm about to buy my first AS....

Interested in answer to this question - perhaps to run ventilation fan in summer to expel trapped heat?

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
I left my 2005 AS Interstate plugged in 24/7. Just sold it with the original LifeLine 12 volt. Also had a 125w roof solar panel.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #24

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
I left my 2005 AS Interstate plugged in 24/7. Just sold it with the original LifeLine 12 volt. Also had a 125w roof solar panel.
Interstates have an inverter/charger, not the Parallax single-stage converter that trailers get.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:33 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Plugged in 24/7.

Hi, my batteries are plugged in 24/7 to a Battery Tender Plus. My shore line cord is only plugged in a few days before a trip. And my refrigerator is only used on trips and emptied when we get home.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:13 AM   #26
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Almost two years ago I bought the biggest Optima deep cycle they made I first had it in a 1999 19' Bambi and now it's in a 2000 25' Safari....both had original convertors and were pretty much kept plugged in with no problems so far.
LFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:29 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
I permanently mounted a plug in on my battery to quickly connect and disconnect a "Battery Tender". This will charge the battery to a certain level and then go to a trickle charge to maintain the battery at a peak charge without overcharging. I don't plug in the trailer itself to 120v. With the set up the way I have it, the fantastic fans can run (and close when it rains), and can use the 12V lights if need be. I do plug into 120V the night before we head out in order to cool the fridge. Never had a problem with this setup.

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:08 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf146 View Post
It doesn't use that much, and it's nice to not have to unload things like mayonnaise, chocolate for s'mores, etc. Plus the power in our area seems to go out too often, and it's nice to have a backup fridge ready ro go. But we also go camping at least once a month from spring to fall...so it depends on your definition of frequently, too.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #29
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Omni=Lithium?

If it's a P-Lax it's junk, our 7455 fried the Factory batteries while on the dealer lot, and the second pair 18mos later.
Two sets of bad batteries, I don't think so.

IOTA DLS 55a IQ4 and two Lifelines, 5 Seasons and counting.

Bob
At your recommendation I bought the IOTA DLS 55a IQ4
Old 07-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #30
janeinthemtns

1985 31' Excella
near Chama , New Mexico
Can someone tell me where the inverter and converter is located in an 85 Excella? I would like to see what I've got. I have a solar panel. I can see it from the second story of the house. The refrigerator worked until I unplugged the pickup. Now only the lights and fan work. One of batteries is disconnected. Everything is working in the trailer. It was thoroughly checked out at Holiday in Albuquerque before I brought it home. I'm on a learning curve here. It's a steep one. Thanks for any info.
janeinthemtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #31
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Should be in the front possibly under the couch.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Boulder , Colorado
Can anyone confirm that I have a 3-stage converter/charger factory installed in my 2013 Bambi Sport? It is a WFCO "Power Center". The part # is WF-8955ANPB and not listed on the website, although the description of a similar part (WF-8945ANP) indicates 3-stage charging. The AS user manual simply says "Although the converter is an excellent battery charger, the converter does not require a battery to be connected to it for proper operation". I am assuming that the converter I have is 3-stage, and I don't need to worry about leaving the AS plugged in at home to maintain the battery. Am I right?
Seecue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
You have a converter that "converts" your 110 household power to 12 volts to run all the lights and appliances in your trailer, except for the AC of course. It also "converts" the 110 into 12 volts to charge your house batteries. It is the charging feature that is at question in this thread. A modern 3 stage charger will charge AND protect your batteries from over charging. Your converter will not keep your batteries charged when you are not hooked up to power.

I purchased my 2006 in 2009 and the PO had left it plugged in almost continually from the time he brought it home. The batteries were toast and I didn't find out until I went out with it for our shake down trip. I learned all about sulphated batteries and the importance of a good converter. I now have an IOTA and am pleased with it.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Sorry

Misread your post and didn't answer your question. When they said that you didn't need a battery connected simply means that your converter will continue to convert 110 to 12 volts even without a battery.

When they said it is "an excellent" charger I wouldn't assume that it is a three state charger without confirming that. Yes, they are great chargers but not ones I would leave my charged battery connected to. I hope that makes sense. I suppose it is always wise to check out claims made by any manufacturer, Airstream included.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seecue View Post
Can anyone confirm that I have a 3-stage converter/charger factory installed in my 2013 Bambi Sport? It is a WFCO "Power Center". The part # is WF-8955ANPB and not listed on the website, although the description of a similar part (WF-8945ANP) indicates 3-stage charging. The AS user manual simply says "Although the converter is an excellent battery charger, the converter does not require a battery to be connected to it for proper operation". I am assuming that the converter I have is 3-stage, and I don't need to worry about leaving the AS plugged in at home to maintain the battery. Am I right?
I don't know for sure, but my 2014 FC 20' did not have a 3 stage charger system and it was one of the firs things I changed. But mine was a Paralax 55 amp converter charger. I changed it out to a 45 amp Progressive Dynamics with built in charge wizard which is their 3 stage unit.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Boulder , Colorado
Did a bit more internet digging and have confirmed that the stock "power center" in our 2013 16' Bambi Sport includes 3-stage charging: bulk at 14.4, absorption at 13.6 and float at 13.2. The product is from "World Friendship Company" (WFCO), a Chinese company whose name is a somewhat bad attempt at good marketing :-). Will assume this is a good product, until proven otherwise, and use it to maintain the battery between trips. But they recommend watching the battery fluid when plugged in to shore power for more than 30 days. So they acknowledge the possibility of boiling the battery, even with a 3rd stage trickle charge, if plugged in 24/7 over an extended period. When in extended storage, we will disconnect entirely (via an isolator switch if we can get that installed, so parasitic loads won't draw down the battery) and charge up once a month or so for maintenance. Please chime in if I am missing anything.
Seecue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:24 AM   #37
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Colorado Winters....might be better to remove batteries during the off Season.

Bob
Old 08-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #38

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seecue View Post
Did a bit more internet digging and have confirmed that the stock "power center" in our 2013 16' Bambi Sport includes 3-stage charging: bulk at 14.4, absorption at 13.6 and float at 13.2. The product is from "World Friendship Company" (WFCO), a Chinese company whose name is a somewhat bad attempt at good marketing :-). Will assume this is a good product, until proven otherwise, and use it to maintain the battery between trips. But they recommend watching the battery fluid when plugged in to shore power for more than 30 days. So they acknowledge the possibility of boiling the battery, even with a 3rd stage trickle charge, if plugged in 24/7 over an extended period. When in extended storage, we will disconnect entirely (via an isolator switch if we can get that installed, so parasitic loads won't draw down the battery) and charge up once a month or so for maintenance. Please chime in if I am missing anything.
When I bought my Argosy, it came equipped with a WFCO converter that had been installed by the PO several years before I bought the trailer. It took decent care of the battery for the first year I had the trailer. When the converter was about 4 years old it started to misbehave, I could see the lights getting brighter then dimmer every minute or so, and it was annoying. So, if it behaves like the one I had, you'll know if it goes bad!

As I said, it was on the order of 4 years old before it had a problem, and seemed to do a decent job up until then. I chose a different brand to replace it,*but it looks like that's something you can put off for quite a while. It doesn't hurt to put a voltmeter on it from time to time, to make sure that it's behaving as designed.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #39
janeinthemtns

1985 31' Excella
near Chama , New Mexico
Would you pull the batteries out even if you had the trailer plugged in? I'm down here in way north central New Mexico mountains.
janeinthemtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:44 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Get a portable battery charger to keep the batteries up and everything else off. My father uses pro mariner for the many building generators' batteries around our area that he services. They found it to be a reliable option (after regularly replacing others)ProMariner

The Prosport line is what I have, the 6amp with one set of leads. I hook one lead to the negative of one battery and the positive to the other battery as they are parallel wired. Technically you can get the two lead model, the Prosport 12 and hook to both batteries for a supposed more accurate feedback to the charger. These are designed to be around water. Just remember to leave the interior battery switch on USE to charge the battery.
Attached Images