Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2017, 08:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Spooner , Wisconsin
The converter runs all the time when on shorepower

The title is basically my question. We have a 2016 26U FC. The batteries were charging fine from the TV, but not at all from shore-power. The converter was covered by warranty and an AS dealer put in a new unit. The old unit was a PPS 5300 and the new one is slightly different number (53??) as I recall.
The new unit is charging the batteries, however, it makes a whirring sound continuously while on shore-power. That doesn't seem right to me. Should it be that way?
A related question is this: it is headed to winter storage soon. This is northern Wisconsin so cold is real cold. A battery on a trickle charge survives this quite okay. It doesn't feel like this converter, humming all winter like that is going to last. It is a bit of a hassle to remove the batteries to put them on a trickle charger, but I don't want to wreck my converter and freeze, or cook, my batteries either.
Opinions, experience and advice are welcomed, please.
Thanks
WherryWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Best approach is to remove the batteries, bring them home, and keep them on a trickle charger.

From the manual -
"Please note: The fan runs continuously on 65 and 75 ampere DC models due to the higher DC ampere potential produced". If your part number is 5365 or 5375, this is normal.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:18 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Spooner , Wisconsin
Thanks, I just realized that the dealer did not give me the manual to the newly installed converter. Odd thing, I got the owners manual for -- as far as I can tell -- all of the other devices and appliances in my unit when I got it from Desert Autoplex, except the converter. I pulled one off the internet and need to return to it, per your refrence.
The other odd thing is that the spiral bound owners manual that comes from AirStream, says that it is a 7300 series in the AirStream.
Thanks,
WherryWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Yeah, that is the old Parallax model they have used forever. I guess they changed. I found some data on it but no information about number of stages, voltages or currents, thus my suggestion to pull the batteries.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Here's a replacement chart, maybe you can determine which one you have.
http://www.parallaxpower.com/paralla...eference-guide

If you find the right replacement the dealership used, you can Google for the PDF of the document. Here's a link to the PPS 5300 as an example
Google: pps 5300 converter pdf
and you'll get:
http://d163axztg8am2h.cloudfront.net...14ad052072.pdf
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:28 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Cumming , Georgia
I have a 2017 International Serenity and my converter fan began running 24/7 while connected to shore power at a Campground 2 weeks ago. I called my dealer, Southland RV in Atlanta to ask what may be causing the fan to stay on. They said it was normal for a converter fan to run a lot. This was my 10th trip in the AS since we picked it up new and the converter fan was never on before this trip. I then called the AS factory and they concurred with the dealer that the fan running 24/7 was not a problem.
I then checked my battery voltage and it was 12.0. The AS factory tech said that’s a problem. His recommendation was to pull the batteries, take them to the local Interstate store for testing. 12.0 volts is low, actually too low as anything below 12.0 is going to cause damage to the battery.
The Interstate store was close by, they charged and load tested both batteries. They tested good, no bad cells.
Next I took my AS to the dealer to check the converter. They checked it and said it was working fine, putting out 13.4 volts when connected to shore power. I put the AS in storage and will be back to check the battery level this week. Ive learned that your battery level should be above 12.6 volts or so normally and while connected to shore power the battery reading should be 13.4 - 13.6. At this point I believe something is wrong with the converter but nothing checks out bad. To me it’s very odd that the converter fan never ran during the hot summer trips and then starts running continuously once the fall temps were in the 60’s. I’m just going to watch my battery level very closely. If the voltage drops below 12.6 I will plug in the trailer and watch to see if the charger actually charges the batteries. Meanwhile I am researching converters as I believe I will be changing this one out before long. It’s under warranty so for now this is on Airstream.
Scott59 is offline   Reply With Quote