Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Tech Support Wouldn't/Couldn't Answer My Electrical Question

When it comes to electrical questions, I'm all thumbs and rank as an idiot first class.

My suspicions are, that I maxed out the power capability. My call to AS tech support was very unproductive; to the extent that I sensed someone at the other end of the conversation was kind of dancing on the head of a pin.

The Situation:
We were camped in an AR state park (shore power hookup) with wiring less than ten years old. It was hot outside; 95° or better. We were in 90% shade and the AC was doing a great job. The wife was cooking dinner in the microwave @ 50% power.

To finish her meal, she kicked the microwave on to full power. Within a couple of minutes, the AS lost power. A minute later, the power came back on, and she turned the micro back on and the same thing happened again.

The Question:
Is the AS Power Center under engineered? Should I press for a better answer/more warranty support?

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Pretty simple answer. The 30 amp service of your Airstream, and many other travel trailers cannot support A/C and convection microwave at the same time. This is especially true if your campground supply voltage was low due to heavy A/C use at the time, lower voltage means increased current load; that's a sure way for things to shut down.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
My 1983 Excella has a switch in the bottom of the cabinet over the stove/sink. One way you get AC, the other you get the microwave. No chance of running the two simultaneously. As doug k said, they aren't meant to run at the same time on 30 amps.

I'm surprised that it worked on 50% power. On the microwaves I've had, 50% power really meant 100% power switched on an off; on 50% of the run time.

On another topic, where are you staying? Hope you're having a good time.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
What were you hooked up to, 30 or 50 amp, Sounds like it might have been a camp ground power issue. IF the camp ground was full there might have been a bunch of people sucking power.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I do that all the time, looks like a campground power issue. What kind of volts were getting from the pedestal outside? Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:30 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Yucca Valley , CA
We had the same issue. Switched the plug in to a 50AMP circuit and it solved the problem.
Rbphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I've found this to be very helpful to test voltage at a campground before I hook up.

Digital Monitor - RV Supplies, RV Accessories & RV Parts for Motorhomes, Campers, Travel Trailers & 5th Wheel Campers - fifth wheel camper - Discount RV Parts Direct
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3150wnIrUSL._SS400_.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	161867  
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
I do that all the time, looks like a campground power issue. What kind of volts were getting from the pedestal outside? Jim
I really don't know what kind of voltage I was getting, but the campground is pretty new (within 10 years).

Next time I'll check as this is one of our favorites (Devil's Den State Park).

2011 23 FC FB
Old 06-27-2012, 08:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbphoto View Post
We had the same issue. Switched the plug in to a 50AMP circuit and it solved the problem.
Interesting. There was 50 amp service, and I didn't think about it.

Thanks.

2011 23 FC FB
Old 06-27-2012, 08:53 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger View Post
Looks like something I need for the challenging days of summer.

2011 23 FC FB
Old 06-27-2012, 08:57 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
My 1983 Excella has a switch in the bottom of the cabinet over the stove/sink. One way you get AC, the other you get the microwave. No chance of running the two simultaneously. As doug k said, they aren't meant to run at the same time on 30 amps.

I'm surprised that it worked on 50% power. On the microwaves I've had, 50% power really meant 100% power switched on an off; on 50% of the run time.

On another topic, where are you staying? Hope you're having a good time.
I know this (microwave and AC) is an issue when boondocking. However you would think the campground would anticipate this issue and wire accordingly.

We're no longer staying. We are home, but were camped at Devil's Den. Petit Jean and Lake Catherine are close seconds when it comes to favorites by the way.

Just to let you know. I don't do much in the way of Missouri park camping. Arkansas state parks have my state's parks beat every which way!

2011 23 FC FB
Old 06-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
It's a load management issue

Whether or not the campground has 50 amp service, your Airstream is probably wired for 30 amps. So, 30 amps is all you can use. As others have said, that usually will not run both an air conditioner and a microwave.

The solution is to manage the load. The trailer should stay pretty cool at least during the short time the microwave usually runs. Simply turn the A/C off when using the microwave, then turn it on again when the cooking is finished.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
This past weekend I was camping at Paul B. Johnson State Park, MS. The temps were over 100 degrees. People were blowing circuit breakers all around me. It was just simply overloading the park electrical systems with all the juice being drawn for extended periods of time.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:28 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbphoto View Post
The original city power cable, is "NOT" designed to handle 50 amps.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:31 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
Whether or not the campground has 50 amp service, your Airstream is probably wired for 30 amps. So, 30 amps is all you can use. As others have said, that usually will not run both an air conditioner and a microwave.

The solution is to manage the load. The trailer should stay pretty cool at least during the short time the microwave usually runs. Simply turn the A/C off when using the microwave, then turn it on again when the cooking is finished.
Your answer makes sense. I don't disagree.

However, you would think that when connected to shore power, this would not be an issue. After all, it's an Airstream.

By the way, during the event I described, not one circuit breaker tripped; inside or at the power pedestal.

2011 23 FC FB
Old 06-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
Low voltage is common in RV parks/campgrounds. If you keep a voltmeter plugged in at all times (ideally, digital, but analog is fine) you'll see that many parks operate on the edge, regardless of how new they are, especially during temperature extremes. Just because they offer 50 amp connection, doesn't mean the underlying infrastructure supports delivery of the full voltage all the time (if ever). My rule of thumb is maximum of 2 major appliances in use at one time, meaning water heater, space heater, or microwave. Even at that, I often switch one of them off. When operating the AC (unusual for us), it's the sole appliance in use.

While I seldom use the AC, I never use it without using my Hughes Autoformer (voltage booster), and I always use the surge protector (ahead of the Autoformer). I've appended links below. I see that TRI also has a voltage booster.

http://www.autoformersdirect.com/

http://www.trci.net/products/surge-guard

http://www.trci.net/products/surge-guard/voltage-regulator
Kamiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:52 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Our Airstream trips the circuit breaker inside if the AC compressor starts while the microwave is in use. That happens enough to accept it as a given. This even has happened with our other Airstream too. Another circumstance that trips it is the electric water heater setting. Certain combinations of electric hot water heater, heat pump and a portable heater will likewise trip the breaker. Then I use the gas hot water heater. It isn't much of an inconvenience and I adjust my usage. Sometimes I use a surge protector at the pole and it has tripped.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #18
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by murreywalker View Post
Your answer makes sense. I don't disagree.

However, you would think that when connected to shore power, this would not be an issue. After all, it's an Airstream.

By the way, during the event I described, not one circuit breaker tripped; inside or at the power pedestal.
It doesn't matter if you have a popup camper or a million dollar Prevost motor home. If you use more power than what is available, something is going to give. An air conditioner can draw up to 20 amps, no matter who built the RV. A microwave is going to draw up to 12 amps, again no matter who built the RV. 20+12=32. Pop goes the breaker. And if everything shut down without tripping a breaker, it sounds like a bad connection at the campground.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by murreywalker View Post
When it comes to electrical questions, I'm all thumbs and rank as an idiot first class.

My suspicions are, that I maxed out the power capability. My call to AS tech support was very unproductive; to the extent that I sensed someone at the other end of the conversation was kind of dancing on the head of a pin.

The Question:
Is the AS Power Center under engineered? Should I press for a better answer/more warranty support?
Every design is a compromise, cost, weight, how useful to the average owner. The 30 amp common RV electrical system used on most AS products works for most people most of the time, with some power management as mentioned in other posts. If Airstream equipped all their units with 50 amp power systems, you would not have the problem, but it would cost everyone more money, and not everyone wants or needs to use all of their power drawing equipment at the same time. Many people boondock and use minimal electricity all the time. For them, a much heavier electrical system would be a total waste.

A 50 amp power system in an Airstream might be a factory option, but as it is the factory decided to make a one size 30 amp system. Many owners would be unhappy paying for a larger 50 amp service they would never use. I know that I would not use such a system. In fact I removed the heavy bulky 50 amp service on a GMC motorhome I once owned and replaced it with a smaller, easy to manage 30 amp system.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
To all

Many thanks for the thoughtful replies!

It has been a great help.

Murrey

2011 23 FC FB