Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2018, 07:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
1964 17' Bambi II
Ogden , Utah
Surge Guard Protector

We met a gentleman at an RV park who told us he recently had the wiring cooked in his Airstream because of faulty wiring on the panel box. He has a Surge Guard Protector model #34830. It sells for around $250 & he has a locked on it. Does anyone else have one? Would you recommend it? I'd like more input before I go out & spend $250. We're using a small one now, one of the yellow ones. Thanks for you help.
mcaslaon4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaslaon4449 View Post
We met a gentleman at an RV park who told us he recently had the wiring cooked in his Airstream because of faulty wiring on the panel box. He has a Surge Guard Protector model #34830. It sells for around $250 & he has a locked on it. Does anyone else have one? Would you recommend it? I'd like more input before I go out & spend $250. We're using a small one now, one of the yellow ones. Thanks for you help.
Yep, have one and recommend you get one. I have a Progressive Dynamics and they are considered very good. You can get one that is hard wired or you can get one that plugs in between the shore power and your cable. The advantage of hard wired is that it can't be stolen and you don't have to full with it each time you plug in. They are expensive....around what you have quoted.

You can get them at Bestconverter.com which is where I got mine.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:15 AM   #3
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by billrector View Post
... The advantage of hard wired is that it can't be stolen and you don't have to full with it each time you plug in. ...
The disadvantage of a permanently wired unit that they are always putting out an annoying humming sound. Not a problem if you have a rear bedroom, but it will be in under your bed if you have a front bedroom model.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:28 AM   #4
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Here’s the one I have… I highly recommend it. It comes in both 30 and 50 amp versions. It’s made by progressive industries (not progressive dynamics which is completely different company.)

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-pt-x
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
We have and use the Progressive Dynamics. Have not locked it to the pole yet but I might in the future. There are worse things to spend $250 on. We have older trailers. I leave one plugged in full time with a dehumidifier running without a surge guard because the surge protector will not come back on after it trips. It is in a campground with a good record and we are direct metered from the power company there. Like home power. We travel with one trailer and use the surge guard at the campgrounds. Two thinks I like are that the power is "checked" each time it is plugged in and that the power stays of for 2 min or so if there is a short trip. This feature just might save an AC since they can be damaged on a sudden restart.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:17 PM   #6
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
The disadvantage of a permanently wired unit that they are always putting out an annoying humming sound. Not a problem if you have a rear bedroom, but it will be in under your bed if you have a front bedroom model.
Well...
I already have to deal with the near constant fan noise and other humming from the converter in my FC25(FB) so it seems a little thing for the peace of mind. Planning on it sometime soon, Progressive Industries EMS type for the complete peace of mind. I think of it as an investment that will pay off for years so the cost is spread out over years....

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:25 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Apopka , Florida
I have the above mentioned Progressive Industries EMS and it seems like money well spent. During our last trip which included two campgrounds it was really interesting to see how different the voltages are at different sites. The first night, it shut all power off in the middle of the night. The reason is that the campsite voltage had spiked to like, 135 volts. After two minutes it allowed power to the trailer again since the voltage fell back. While this might not damage an AC, it could very well damage electronics. I have a friend with the same unit with the opposite experience in a campground full up at holiday time. Voltage dropped so low, that the unit cut the power. Now that may very well save your AC.
rfequity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:26 PM   #8
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I mounted mine on rubber washers on a wood panel. The rubber washers knocked the hum down noticeably.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:20 PM   #9
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
I mounted mine on rubber washers on a wood panel. The rubber washers knocked the hum down noticeably.
That's worth remembering ! 👍
Quote:
Originally Posted by wave man View Post
Well...
I already have to deal with the near constant fan noise and other humming from the converter in my FC25(FB) so it seems a little thing for the peace of mind. Planning on it sometime soon, Progressive Industries EMS type for the complete peace of mind. I think of it as an investment that will pay off for years so the cost is spread out over years....

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
Old 02-21-2018, 03:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
I've had two 30 Amp Surge Guard Protector model #34830. They are currently $220 at Camping World. Make sure you buy the $35 2 year replacement warranty from CW. I'm returning for exchange my second year and a half year old 34830 that took a hit last week at Pinnacles National Park. CW requires an in person exchange.

My first #34830 lasted just short of two years after it took a hit at a campground in Alaska. I didn't have the two year coverage.

My first Surge Guard was an "entry level" $95 30A 44260. It was fried (literally smoked) on a corroded pedestal at waters edge at the San Francisco RV Park in Pacifica.

I've had the #34830s warn me of bad connections/pedestals at campgrounds/rv parks.

My 34830s were both hooked up 24/7 at home. I'm wondering if continuous use shortens their life. I just bought a 30A 44260 to use at home.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:10 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI tons of earlier threads and posts on "Surge Protector" --

https://www.google.com/search?q=surg...=airforums.com

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:24 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
For what it's worth, I had a hardwired SurgeGuard on my previous rig. When the rig was struck by lightning, it gave up the ghost (not surprisingly), but did a fair job of protecting the devices in the rig.

However, when I disassembled the unit afterward, I was dismayed by how cheaply it was built. I replaced it a Progressive Industries EMS (as recommended by others here), which was much better built.

The only thing to be aware of with the hardwired versions of these devices is that the setscrew-type terminals can loosen, and when they do, overheating can occur. I lost one PI EMS box to this--the setscrews loosened up enough that the resulting heat charred the insulation on the incoming wires, and the unit stopped working. The unit was replaced in warranty.

Nevertheless, I prefer a hardwired EMS to a plug-in one. The latter are vulnerable to theft, can be accidentally left behind... and sitting outside in wet weather can't be good for electrical equipment.
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:07 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Here’s the one I have… I highly recommend it. It comes in both 30 and 50 amp versions. It’s made by progressive industries (not progressive dynamics which is completely different company.)

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-pt-x

Yes, Progressive Industries! Too many “Progressive” companies to keep track of!
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:17 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
The Panhandle , Idaho
+1 On a Hardwired Unit

I just completed installation on a Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C last weekend. Prior to that we were flying without a parachute. Yeah, I know. Not to smart with all the electronics in a 2017 Classic. Now we have some peace of mind that things won't get fried when someone down the row kicks on 2 or 3 AC units.

In order to fit the unit under the dinette bench where our main power penetrates the skin I had to do some serious re-arranging of the "wiring bundle" (also known as a rat's nest) the factory left in this area. My suggestion to them was to purchase some of those awesome new wire cutters for the factory wiring techs. No need to have a 6-foot service loop on these circuits. Also, Tiewraps are a good thing.

I like the idea of mounting the unit on some rubber washers. The hum isn't that annoying, The 'tick-tick' of the wall clock is louder. But this is a mod I'll be doing down the road.
Hoagie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:45 PM   #15
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
I don't have a surge protector and want to get one. I see some for $250 and some for $100 (ballpark prices). In layman's terms, what does the extra $150 buy?

Thanks!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:05 PM   #16
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
I think what you'll see is a difference in a couple things. Not a complete list...

They may protect against more kinds of problems.

They may provide a better warranty.

They may provide peace of mind (not as prone to theft or being forgotten somewhere if hardwired in, or having to worry about remembering to set it up - you'll be covered automatically)

And of course often you get what you pay for...

The hardwired in EMS systems from Progressive Industries also usually protect you without frying and necessitating a full replacement. They monitor and prevent harm by interrupting the electrical circuit/connection when wrong/bad things are detected.

Old 02-24-2018, 02:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
I don't have a surge protector and want to get one. I see some for $250 and some for $100 (ballpark prices). In layman's terms, what does the extra $150 buy?

Thanks!
Peace of mind and possibly greater surge protection and pedestal condition analysis.

There is a two year full replacement warranty available from Camping World. I've had two of their $225 30 Amp Surge Guard Protector model #34830 units fail within 2 years due to surges in sub-standard RV parks/government campgrounds. My last one was fully covered by CW.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:00 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
I purchased Progressive Industries EMS, the company says it has a lifetime warranty ( anyone have one replaced under the warranty? ) the pedestal unit has a ring that a cable and lock can be used to secure the unit to the service pedestal. It protects against over and under voltage.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:51 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I had a Surge Guard 50 installed by the dealer at delivery of my trailer. Best decision I made.

The unit has never been hit by lightning, but has protected against reverse polarity and low voltage several times.

Mine is silent, there is no hum or noise that I have noticed.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:49 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Don't mean to deviate from the Original Post, but does anyone cover their surge protector to protect from rain? I'm electrically illiterate so not sure if there's even a concern with water reaching either of the connections on it. I've never covered it in the 2 years I've used ours, but...

BTW, we have the Progressive Industries surge protector.
wareaglewalt is offline   Reply With Quote