Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2016, 02:50 PM   #1
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Store vs. Use

All,

I've read a lot about this, but I fear I may be confused and wanted to confirm:

PREMISE: For late model trailers (like my 2016) trailer should always be set to "USE" unless I specifically want to kill all 12v loads (except LP gas detector) such as during lengthy storage. Anytime the trailer is hooked to shore power OR to a tow vehicle, the batteries will charge no matter how the switch is set.

THREE QUESTIONS:
1) Is the above correct?

2) So... I turn it to USE and keep it in that setting for the entirety of a lengthy road trip, correct?

3) Does setting it to STORE prevent the fridge from remaining cold? I assume it uses some 12v power to run?

Thanks!

--Thiel

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 03:04 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
2021 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
North Port , Florida
Yes to all. On my 05 if turned off it kills power to the disc brakes also. Not sure why it was set up that way but it is what it is.
cliffcharb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 03:07 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
All,

I've read a lot about this, but I fear I may be confused and wanted to confirm:

PREMISE: For late model trailers (like my 2016) trailer should always be set to "USE" unless I specifically want to kill all 12v loads (except LP gas detector) such as during lengthy storage. Anytime the trailer is hooked to shore power OR to a tow vehicle, the batteries will charge no matter how the switch is set.

THREE QUESTIONS:
1) Is the above correct?

2) So... I turn it to USE and keep it in that setting for the entirety of a lengthy road trip, correct?

3) Does setting it to STORE prevent the fridge from remaining cold? I assume it uses some 12v power to run?

Thanks!

--Thiel
1- No. The switch has to be in "use" in order for the batteries to charge. If the trailer is going to be plugged in all the time, the switch should be set to "store" most of the time, in order to prevent the converter from overcharging the batteries.
2-Yes.
3-Yes and no. It depends whether the trailer is plugged in to shore power or not. If the trailer is plugged in, the converter will power the 12 volt stuff. If the trailer is not plugged in, you must have the switch set to "use" for the 12 volt systems to get power in order to function.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Overlander has it right.

Mike

PS. On my 2015 27ft FC FB, even when the battery switch is set to store, the batteries will run down in a matter of days. I *think* it may be powering more than just the propane detector. As a result when leaving the trailer for more than a few days, I physically disconnect the batteries.
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:17 PM   #5
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
1- No. The switch has to be in "use" in order for the batteries to charge. If the trailer is going to be plugged in all the time, the switch should be set to "store" most of the time, in order to prevent the converter from overcharging the batteries.
2-Yes.
3-Yes and no. It depends whether the trailer is plugged in to shore power or not. If the trailer is plugged in, the converter will power the 12 volt stuff. If the trailer is not plugged in, you must have the switch set to "use" for the 12 volt systems to get power in order to function.

Ah... so wrt 3 ... if I set the trailer to "STORE" and then drive down the road, the fridge will not remain cold....

Old 11-06-2016, 08:06 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Miami Springs , Florida
On my 2016 FC19 any time that I connect to a source of power, shore or the car, it will go into use and the led light will be on, if I try to kill it it will make a click sound but the led will be still on. Only when it is unplugged I can switch from use to store at will, but things such as the power jack or propane sensor will still work. Is this ok?
The thing is that my batteries never worked, the trailer is 6 months old but even on my firsts weekend out I had to use a battery charger to run the tongue jack to go back home, since it does not work if the batteries are dry, not even being hooked up.
I have a hard time trying to understand how this works....
We always choose campgrounds with electric since we need AC (SoFla residents with 2 babies),
Gallego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Use/store light only tells you you have power on your 12 volt circuits. The relay latches on or off when you hit the switch.
The two things are not really connected. Yep, it's confusing...

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 04:31 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Overlander is correct as is rmkrum EXCEPT for the 2017 Classic. If plugged into shore power the "in use" is on and it cannot be turned off. We took ours to the factory for something else and I specifically asked the tech, the floor tech manager as well as the service manager all independently of one another and got the same answer. "The 2017 Classic is different", was the tag line from two of them.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:13 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Overlander is correct as is rmkrum EXCEPT for the 2017 Classic. If plugged into shore power the "in use" is on and it cannot be turned off. We took ours to the factory for something else and I specifically asked the tech, the floor tech manager as well as the service manager all independently of one another and got the same answer. "The 2017 Classic is different", was the tag line from two of them.

Bud
With my 2006 when I'm on shore power, the "in use" light is on regardless of the switch position, but the batteries aren't being charged unless I press the switch to "in use" too. I thought this was normal behavior for all AS.

The jack should have power regardless of the setting, it is wired directly to the batteries.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:52 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Use / Store Table

Maybe we can discuss using this chart:

2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 11-07-2016, 10:42 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Miami Springs , Florida
Interesting graphic, I will have it printed into my AS, but still a bit confusing to know when it is on use or not. Any way to check in which position you are or not?
Therefore, if I havent been using it like that and my batteries loose power really quick, means that they are boiled, isn't it?
Old 11-07-2016, 11:43 AM   #12
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Maybe we can discuss using this chart:

Well that's efficient right there. Where'd you get such a thing?

As far as I can tell, it confirms my initial statement, answers my questions, and provides even a little bit extra. Thanks!

Old 11-07-2016, 12:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallego View Post
Interesting graphic, I will have it printed into my AS, but still a bit confusing to know when it is on use or not. Any way to check in which position you are or not?
Therefore, if I havent been using it like that and my batteries loose power really quick, means that they are boiled, isn't it?
If in doubt, press the switch in the direction you want to go and listen for the click of the solenoid. If on shore power and the light is on all the time, if you have a 12 VDC monitor (mine is in the solar control panel) and you switch to 'store' you'll see a drop in the voltage. But the best way is to just push the switch for the direction you want to be in.

If you're quickly losing battery power, then that could be a symptom of having overcharged. If you don't have the instruments to check them yourself, just pull them out and take to just about any auto parts store, like Advance Auto Parts and they can run a diagnostic on them.

The type of charger you have and the way you camp can be your problem. if you have the original (OEM) charger and it is one of the 2-stage chargers, you don't want to leave it in "Use" all the time unless you're dry camping. When on shore power the OEM charger will keep trying to charge them up, never cutting off completely. So if you're camping mostly at CGs with shore power, then turn it to "Use" for a few hours a day and you should be OK. Your converter (not inverter) will provide all the 12VDC for you AS use while on shore power, regardless of the switch position.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 11-07-2016, 12:18 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
Well that's efficient right there. Where'd you get such a thing?

As far as I can tell, it confirms my initial statement, answers my questions, and provides even a little bit extra. Thanks!
I made it using Excel. I used my own personal experience on my AS so please confirm it matches performance on yours. If there are any differences let me know so I can correct the chart.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 11-07-2016, 12:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Nice chart, thanks! I think Inverter is the correct spelling. Convertor ends in "or" .

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Nice chart, thanks! I think Inverter is the correct spelling. Convertor ends in "or" .

Peter
Oh, one of those guys, eh?

My spell check didn't catch that one. Hmmm. You're lucky that's the ONLY typing mistake, you should see some of the stuff before I post, if I lose my position on the home keys.

2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 11-07-2016, 01:49 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Miami Springs , Florida
I will check the batteries, and thank you very much for all the clarification!
Old 11-07-2016, 01:53 PM   #18
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
I made it using Excel. I used my own personal experience on my AS so please confirm it matches performance on yours. If there are any differences let me know so I can correct the chart.
This matches the collection of disparate comments I've reviewed throughout the forums. The only piece I was missing was whether or not the fridge was still running, which you have confirmed.

What other excel goodies you got stored away?

Old 11-07-2016, 02:48 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Oh, one of those guys, eh?
. . .
Not sure if this gratuitous comment was called for, in light of your invitation to submit corrections. Thought we were all interested in an accurate work product?

Quote:
. . .
If there are any differences let me know so I can correct the chart.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:57 PM   #20

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Back in 2004 when my Classic was built, store only allowed power to the propane detector. Everything else was disconnected. I measured the amperage draw and when the trailer was in use mode with everything turned off I saw a draw of .1 of an amp hour. Most of that I was told was the electronics in the fridge, furnace, and water heater (even though they were all turned off). In the store position it pulled .01 amp hour which was the propane detector. Very obvious to me as to why I always turned the switch to store between trips. I always tow in use since we are using the fridge on gas and I want those electronics functioning.

Never have checked my Classic though for the status of the emergency disconnect switch for brake activation or the status of the 12 volt charging system if the switch is in the store position. I put it in use just to play it safe even if I'm towing the trailer without the use of the fridge.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote