Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2018, 09:55 AM   #1
17 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Langley , British Columbia
Sport 22' FB Electrical

First of, my apologies for making my first post a quest for help. I think most users do introduce themselves first. I will add a quick note at the end.

So, we have a 2012 Sport, and last night, one of the renters call me to say the power was out (30amp setup). So I went over everything with him, checking from the power source, their breakers, to inside and all the trailer breakers. Nothing.

I got another text later saying the power came back, then gone again. I texted him this morning, and everything is fine.

So my question is: can the converter "shut off" if it's too hot? Or was it simply the campground system that failed? Thanks in advance.

Now About me.

3 year years ago, my family were still tent campers. We purchased a pop-up only to sell it 8 months later. At the time, we were planning to do a full month travel across Canada. We said to ourselves, why not buy a travel trailer rent it out to cover the expenses when we come back. So we did. On our way back home, we saw someone with 16' Airstream. They let us look inside - BIG MISTAKE - my wife fell in love with it.

So while the rental business was going well with the trailer, last February we found an Airstream for sale. So we thought it would be a good idea to buy it and rent it out. And so we did.

But we also travel with it too. And we LOVE it!

Again, thank you to everyone for reading this.

Stéphane
BCQH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Is it the 120 AC volt power or the 12 volt DC power? Or both?
Is there a battery in the coach?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:25 PM   #3
17 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Langley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Is it the 120 AC volt power or the 12 volt DC power? Or both?
Is there a battery in the coach?

Hi TG,

the 12v works fine. But the 120 AC stopped working last night, came back, stopped again, and working again. And now it's probably still working because I haven't heard from my renter since this morning.

So I guided him to switch the fridge to propane, and the only issue was the air conditioning, TV and microwave. But seems like it is back in order.

So back to my question, any reasons for me to think it could be a trailer issue?

Any input will be great.

Stéphane
BCQH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Sounds like an RV park or BC Hydro problem. Especially if the renter does not have to take action inside the coach.
Are you sure there is a good connection at the pedestal?
Is there a receptacle on the coach where the shore power cable connects.
If there is a bad connection at the coach receptacle walking around inside could affect the connection.
Check both connections to make sure one or the other is not arcing.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
You rent it out while stationary (AirBnB style) or is it mobile? If mobile, do you deliver it or does the renter tow it? Sorry for the questions.

Do you know if the trailer has a surge protector or an "EMS" (Electrical Monitoring System)? If an EMS is in place and the power isn't stable, then it would cut out automatically and then may resume function when the problem is cleared. I have a Progressive Industries EMS hardwired into my 22FB to protect the trailer and occupants from bad electrical and it behaves somewhat like that.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote