Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2015, 01:42 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Sometimes I feel like a Motherless child...

So I am replacing the converter, moving from the parellax single stage to the PD 4655. I've read the threads, watched the videos, budgeted 2.5 hours of time and gone over to my 27 FC with tools and the new converter. I'm stoked, and pumped to get this done.

OK, the first thing is to take off the access cover of the old converter. Umm. The screws that hold the cover on seem to be torx or star or something. None of my Allen keys will turn them. Well #%%*! There goes my window of time for the day. Guess I'll try this weekend.

Anyone know what size bit fits those stupid screws?

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . the ones on mine are torx., buy at any hdwe / auto parts store.............have you ever considered Decaf ? regards, Craig
Old 10-15-2015, 02:56 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Well

Caffeine,
Thanks for the heads up on the screws. Fortunately, I have a set of those in the ol toolbox. I am about to order the exact same unit. Everything I have read & watched on YouTube indicates this should be a very easy project. I will be doing the same thing as you next weekend. I hope yours goes smoothly. I have heard nothing but good things about that unit, and that everything comes with the kit. Hope you bought yours from Randy at bestconverter.com. He's a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Good luck, and let us know how long it actually takes you.
Sea ya down the road,
Gavin
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinManGa View Post
.......have you ever considered Decaf ?
Ha!
Old 10-15-2015, 04:27 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Caffeinated; Fishin - keep us posted, with Pics if possible. This is in our future as well.
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:56 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Crowley , Texas
Time for me to do this upgrade too. Baby-ing the yellow tops has really gotten old. I'm sitting pretty in torx bits. My guess is bit size is T5 or T7 but don't know for sure Let me know, Mike, and I'll mail you a full set- in the likely event AZ and HD are sold out. So, what I need now is to order the new converter. Bestconverter.com, here I come.
Best regards and best of luck to each of you.
George in Crowley.
TopGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 01:30 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Crowley , Texas
Crikey. I meant to guess T-15 or T-17. Sorry.
TopGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
According to the Portland dealer, the screws are T-20. Which I have but didn't bring to the trailer originally. I'll find out for sure tomorrow.

Mike
Old 10-16-2015, 10:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Haven't seen the video, but this mod usually takes me around an hour. There are several things to watch for:

• be certain to remove the battery terminals (negative first) BEFORE you do anything else.
• be certain that you are NOT PLUGGED IN to shore power
• it is very beneficial to have a bit of additional length for the DC wire bundle. They are held by a retainer accessible at the back of the fuse block AFTER you remove the converter frame from the wall. You can put the cable bundle back to it's original spot after you're done.
• the converter power hot lead (black) is wire nutted to the bedroom circuit hot and has a third wire leading to the breaker. I have never seen anyone use a wire nut within a breaker box except Airstream. Airstream does this to allow 2 circuits to be controlled by a single breaker, because it is against NEC code to place 2 wires into a single breaker. It would be a much better arrangement to simply add a double breaker in the space to allow each of the circuits to have their own breaker.

Other than that, it should be a less than 6-pack install.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 05:01 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Time for conversion

As is almost always the case when i do something for the first time, it takes for ever. I suspect I spent four or five hours from start to finish, including the planning stages for this conversion.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...-126429-6.html

I like to double check/triple check as failures do to my error are not acceptable in a situation where I may be out in the boonies...
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:51 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Less than a 6 pack install, ha! Good one Lew.
I was going to mention to Caffinated, that the moment without the right tool, is why you keep cold brews in the fridge.
Good luck with your install.

I got to practice that job three times as they sent mt two units that buzzed too loudly right out of the box. I got quicker by the third install
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:31 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
Less than a 6 pack install, ha! Good one Lew.
I was going to mention to Caffinated, that the moment without the right tool, is why you keep cold brews in the fridge.
Good luck with your install.

I got to practice that job three times as they sent mt two units that buzzed too loudly right out of the box. I got quicker by the third install
I'm hoping that I only get the joy of replacing it the one time, but we will see. Fingers crossed.

And Lew, thanks for the tips.

Mike
Old 10-17-2015, 10:50 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I did mine in the storage lot using my battery powered tools. I had already purchased a small pack of Torx drivers for my electric screwdriver. It took about an hour from start to end, just 2 beers (had to drive home ya know).

The instructions were very clear and the only problems I had were
1. One of the battery wires was short but I was able to pull it another inch or so to make the connection
2. The door doesn't completely close, had to force it a little bit. I didn't have a file with me, I'll do that on the next outing if I remember. It's just a little tight on closing it but a very, very small issue.

It is so much better now, showing proper charging amounts and holding it at 12.7. I'm very pleased with the swap out.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:59 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I did this one too. I took pictures and notes on the wire hook ups. It helped me for sure. I did it while in storage and in two shifts of about an hour or so each. It was easy with reference pics and notes.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:50 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
An otherwise simple task becomes difficult or impossible when you cant put your hands on the right tools.

Been there done that...

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 05:15 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Little Rock , Arkansas
In response to the OP title...."A long, long way from home."
2016 F250 KR 6.7 4x4 CC "Tex"
Members, NTAC
Boogieshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Well, this replacement has turned out to be "interesting". Yesterday I got slammed with family stuff and couldn't get to the trailer to work on it, but. Had high hopes for today. When I started I found out the cover is NOT using t 20 screws, but something smaller. So off to Home Depot on a Sunday afternoon to buy more tools. An hour later and I'm back at the trailer with a combo folding torx tool and t15 does the trick. The couver is off. For those keeping score this has only taken me three days.

Getting the Parallax out was pretty easy, and the connections look straight forward, so, ummm, why does the P unit have four wires and the PD five. Hmmm. Oh well, onward and upward. Taking off the DC board was easy, writing down the color of the little cd wires so I can put them back in order.

Unfortunately, this is where I ran into the problem. The thick DC negative cable is a titch too short to routed to the new board. PD moved the attachment point just enough to make it impossible, unless you take the whole freaking top part of the electrics out so you can access the strain relief and get another inch or so of wire. To do this you really want your electric drill/driver, which I did not have with me. And buy now it was getting late and my wife called wondering when I would be home. So...I will try to find the time to finish it up this week. I'm thinking this might be a three week job. :/

Mike
Old 10-18-2015, 08:29 PM   #18
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Make sure the batteries are disconnected.... Please. ... And disconnect AC POWER FROM THE CONVERTER..'please.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:43 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
CWF, thx for worrying. The batteries are disconnected, the trailer is not plugged in to shore power, and neither converter is connected right now. I want to finish getting the new DC board right before I install the converter. I just need to access the strain relief thingie which is impossible without taking out the upper part of the unit. Once I can get access to the screws that hold the wires it should be cake. If it isn't I'll probably send an SOS out to Lew.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:05 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
CWF, thx for worrying. The batteries are disconnected, the trailer is not plugged in to shore power, and neither converter is connected right now. I want to finish getting the new DC board right before I install the converter. I just need to access the strain relief thingie which is impossible without taking out the upper part of the unit. Once I can get access to the screws that hold the wires it should be cake. If it isn't I'll probably send an SOS out to Lew.
Definitely remove the entire package from the wall. Should be 4 screws.....no biggie! This will give you access to the strain relief and allow for more DC power cable to come forward. You should find a substantial amount of surplus cable behind the unit.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote