Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2007, 12:40 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Ventura , California
I'm obsessing again. It's an illness. In regards to the 3-stage charging system. How many of you have actually replaced the factory installed units and replaced them with an upgrade one? Some of you have mentioned that you leave your A/S hooked up to power for long periods of time and have had no problems. I'm not sure that's really a necessary expense. More thoughts and experiences on this anyone? I'm still going with the batteries first. Let's see what Mr. Battery Man says.
1Bombshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:11 AM   #22
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I use the stock Parallax 7355 converter with two West Marine (Deka clone) AGM group 24s. I did not have problems with the original batteries using excessive water, and have no problems with it and the AGM batteries.

The only issue (for me) with the Parallax is slow charging time. Otherwise I think it is a good converter. It is well regulated, and introduces no noise into audio equipment.

The stock converter will charge the batteries fully in a couple of days maximum. At times I need a faster charge. Instead of replacing the converter, I bought a Xantrex automotive 40 amp 3 stage "smart" portable battery charger for about $100. If I need a fast charge on the trailer batteries, I click off the battery swich in the trailer and charge manually. It also charges my 2 extra batteries (trailer's original Interstates) for the inverter. I highly recommend having a charger like this on hand for many reasons.

This is not technically correct (disclaimer) because the batteries will not charge and discharge in an exactly equal manner: If you want a very easy way to add an extra battery as needed, wire an extra 7 pin outlet w/ 30 amp fuse to battery connecters. Hook it up to another AGM battery and simply plug the trailer into it (instead of tow vehicle) when you need extra power. There are 7 pin wiring diagrams on the net showing where the hot and negative wires go, be sure polarity is OK before hooking up. The AGM makes a great portable battery because it isn't a leaky messy beast.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:56 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bombshell
I'm obsessing again. It's an illness. In regards to the 3-stage charging system. How many of you have actually replaced the factory installed units and replaced them with an upgrade one? Some of you have mentioned that you leave your A/S hooked up to power for long periods of time and have had no problems. I'm not sure that's really a necessary expense. More thoughts and experiences on this anyone? I'm still going with the batteries first. Let's see what Mr. Battery Man says.
Replaced my original Parallax with a WFCO as soon as I replaced the junk Interstate batteries that came with the CCD. Used a pair of Lifelind GPL-4CT golf cart batteries.......YES...6VOLTS!.........................VERY NICE!!!!! and loads of draw time.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:13 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Thumbs up climate control switch on a Dometic.

Quote:
Ok. I checked the Climate Control switch on the Refrigerator. It was in the ON position! So there's one thing checked off the list and it cost me zero $$! .
Me too! I was wondering why the batteries did not last long enough when boondocking in October. Duh! I guess there are times when it pays to actually read the owner's manual!
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:41 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Ventura , California
Owner's Manual? So that's what's in that big blue briefcase that came with the A/S! I'll let everyone know what I find after I have the batteries checked out. I hope I don't have to replace them. I do know that a generator is in the immediate future. I'm feeling, after what I've read, that the solar panels are less than sufficient for our needs, when dry camping. Anymore feedback or insight on that Gen that's made in China and is 3000 watts? I think it sells at the same price as the Honda 2000. But it's lighter. I forgot the name. I saw it here, somewhere. I usually like to stay with name brands when making big purchases. However, it sounded like a potential good buy. I'll have to find that thread.
1Bombshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:30 AM   #26
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Owner's Manual? So that's what's in that big blue briefcase that came with the A/S! I'll let everyone know what I find after I have the batteries checked out. I hope I don't have to replace them. I do know that a generator is in the immediate future. I'm feeling, after what I've read, that the solar panels are less than sufficient for our needs, when dry camping. Anymore feedback or insight on that Gen that's made in China and is 3000 watts? I think it sells at the same price as the Honda 2000. But it's lighter. I forgot the name. I saw it here, somewhere. I usually like to stay with name brands when making big purchases. However, it sounded like a potential good buy. I'll have to find that thread.
IIRC, it was Boliy.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:57 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I love my Honda. It's been reliable year after year and that has made me a most satisfied consumer. Silvertwinkie & others speak just as highly about their Yamahas. Reliability = value.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:12 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Question Batteries and Battery life

Most of the information on this thread deals with BATTERIES, I have a 2005 Safari that came with just one battery. I just replaced a group 24 interstate deep cell with a LIFELINE AGM. I am looking at adding a 2nd battery. Mine is presently between the forks near the ball. If I add a new two battery bracket, should it just be welded between the propane tanks and the ball or would that create too much weight on the front of the trailer? The AGM battery is heavier than the old one. Is it possible to stack the batteries or should they be side -by-side? I'm new to all this and it sometimes seems very complicated. jc
rustyrivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:34 PM   #29
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdcasey View Post
I am looking at adding a 2nd battery. Mine is presently between the forks near the ball. If I add a new two battery bracket, should it just be welded between the propane tanks and the ball or...
hi jim

the further back at the tongue area, the better.

there are many threads on adding or expanding or relocating the batteries and box issues.

ignore the 6v vs 12v stuff, but here are some pics and threads and ideas...

it seems there are boxes that can be added with/withOUT welding...

several of these threads are 22 specific.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/show...3&postcount=16

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...ing-42826.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...ity-38012.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...-se-39481.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...ion-29464.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...ems-39141.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...2-a-31854.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:13 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
What was the solution to your problem?

Dry camping is our favorite style of camping as well. We started to have AGM battery drain issues as well. Our Parallax converter was the culprit. Silvergate discovered this with the help of the members on this forum. It was replaced under warranty at the AS dealer and will be replaced when it dies again with an Intellipower converter.

What was the solution to your problem. Was it the batteries, a bad converter, or both? What was done, who did the work, and how is your AS functioning since its repair?

Larry

Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:18 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
We had failures for years, finally a Airstreamer turned us on to AC/Delco "Voyager"
sealed batteries; problems over, we're on year four with our twins, just checked them
under load, doing fine, even with our original, loud Univolt.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 04:09 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1992 36' Land Yacht
hubbardston , Massachusetts
interstate batteries

i just bought 92 landyacht 36 motorhome
pinecone who sold it to me had 2 of the smallest walmart batteries in it
of course they worked like dog poop
went to interstate to buy agm batteries,,sales guy said buy deep cell regular batteries for 1/3 the price of agm,,,last just as long,,almost same warranty,,less problems,,,
is this the way to go ????

kevin
kepko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:06 PM   #33
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kepko View Post
i just bought 92 landyacht 36 motorhome
pinecone who sold it to me had 2 of the smallest walmart batteries in it
of course they worked like dog poop
went to interstate to buy agm batteries,,sales guy said buy deep cell regular batteries for 1/3 the price of agm,,,last just as long,,almost same warranty,,less problems,,,
is this the way to go ????

kevin
kevin,

Folks opinions vary on batteries like their choices for engine oil. It has been my experience that AGMs (Lifeline in particular) outlast regular deep cycle batteries. In the harsh conditions in FL (high heat and humidity that regularly kill batteries), I have been replacing lots of Interstates and SOB batteries like Wally World with generally 2 choices: Lifeline AGMs for those that want to spend the $$$$ for the BEST (we also use these EXCLUSIVELY in our AM Solar installations), or Trojan T-105 golf cart batteries in pairs to make 12VDC. For starting batteries, Deka is the power end choice with Lifeline's starting series again at the top.

You'll get tons of opinions on this.........but what I sell and install is what works for me and my customers, as I have to stand behind them too!