Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2020, 05:32 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Boone , IOWA
Shore Power vs Battery Maintainer while in Extended Storage?

Looking through the forums have not been able to find an answer to this question.

I have a 2018 30’ Classic with factory WFCO 9855 50a converter, two Lifeline GPL 12volt AGM batteries and the Zamp Solar Port. Am in Iowa and keep the camper inside an attached to the house garage with a 30 amp plug-in available. Garage not heated but keeps a bit warmer in winter since attached to the house.

I have a Battery Tender Plus which when connected thru the Zamp Port via a SAE Polarity Reverse Adapter seems to work fine.

So for this situation, Please advise the pros and cons of either keeping it plugged into shore power where I understand the converter is the “smart” type or into the battery maintainer for an extended storage period. Planning on leaving it plugged in 100% of the time.

Also please advise on whether the Red Battery button should be in the “OFF” or “ON” position and why.

Thanks

Dave
iowajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:54 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Towson , Maryland
I have a similar question so I hope we get some input here (Robert Cross?). Basically I think we are both asking if it is acceptable to leave the unit plugged into shore power if you have a 3 stage converter/charger (absorption, bulk, float modes automatically). I have the same batteries.

I’ve done a fair amount of reading about this and I think the answer is that it is an acceptable practice. But I don’t have the practical experience of many here as I’ve owned my 2020 GT for a few months.

For my unit I have a switch that says use or store and according the manual it will charge the batteries in both modes.
dream_stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:59 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
Lombard , IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_stream View Post
I have a similar question so I hope we get some input here (Robert Cross?). Basically I think we are both asking if it is acceptable to leave the unit plugged into shore power if you have a 3 stage converter/charger (absorption, bulk, float modes automatically). I have the same batteries.

I’ve done a fair amount of reading about this and I think the answer is that it is an acceptable practice. But I don’t have the practical experience of many here as I’ve owned my 2020 GT for a few months.

For my unit I have a switch that says use or store and according the manual it will charge the batteries in both modes.
Good evening gentlemen, and a great question: I have a new Classic, also in extended storage and with the dual marine batteries you indicated. My owner's manual states the shorline power "maintains" the batteries but as you, I question if this is a low-voltage "trickle" maintenance current or a (more damaging) higher amp charge. As you say, is this a "smart" on-board battery maintainer in the internal charge curcuit?
I also question if leaving the trailer continuously plugged in (mine to a 50 amp curcuit) can be harmful long term??
Hope to hear some knowledgeable owner weigh-in.

Best,
Greg
Midwest Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Whether to use the converter or a battery tender depends on the relative quality of each and controller programming and modes. A high quality battery minder will generally be easier on the batteries and keep the batteries performing better vs. the range of stock converters used mostly because the design conditions for converters presume the batteries are in use not storage while the minders generally presume storage not use. Disconnecting them altogether is generally better still as far as the battery is concerned. Likewise if one is not using any aspect of the trailer for extended days or weeks while in storage, setting the switch to Store is easier on the batteries. The later model Airstreams generally but not always have the converters connected on the battery side of the Store/Use relay.

So the path one takes has to consider more than just the batteries. It has to consider how much and what kind of use the trailer and batteries likely will experience while in storage.

Hope this helps.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:05 PM   #5
ZOZ
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Peru , Illinois
Remove The Batteries in Winter Long Term Storage

Trailer owners often overlook proper off-season storage of batteries. If the trailer’s shorepower cord is plugged into an electrical outlet and is equipped with a multistage charger, the batteries will be kept properly charged and require only periodic fluid-level checks. Most OEM converter-chargers will provide only a float charge, which will not condition batteries properly. If it is not possible to keep the trailer plugged in, the batteries should be kept fully charged, removed from the trailer and stored in a cool, dry place. This is particularly important in cold climates where a discharged battery is likely to freeze.

Batteries in storage must still be maintained. Lead-acid batteries will discharge over time, even if they are not being used. The rate of self-discharge depends on the batteries’ design and the temperature. Flooded batteries have higher self-discharge rates than VRLA batteries. Higher temperatures increase self-discharge, which is why batteries should be stored in a cool place.

Maintenance chargers keep batteries charged while in storage and are simple to use. Just plug the charger into a household outlet and connect the charge cables to the battery terminals. Like the charger in your RV, maintenance chargers are available as either a constant-voltage charger or a multistage charger. Multistage charging ensures that batteries are fully charged without overcharging.

Source: Understanding and Maintaining Your RV’s Batteries, Trailer Life, June 7, 2017

For long term storage, of your Airstream’s batteries, assuming you don’t have a solar panel and the trailer is not plugged in, it’s a good idea to completely disconnect them electrically from the trailer.

If the batteries are still connected and the trailer is not plugged in, flip the battery disconnect switch to STORE position (not for long term storage; 30 days).

In regard to the store button, if the batteries are still connected and the unit is not plugged in, flip the battery disconnect to STORE.

Source: The Newbies Guide to Airstreaming, Rich Luhr, Third Edition.

My note: My AS went into garaged winter storage yesterday. I removed my two batteries and I took them into my garage where they are each trickle charged separately with a Deltran Battery Tender (1.25 amp, automatic float version) until I re-install them back into my AS in the spring.

zoz
ZOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I leave my batteries in the AS and put a battery maintainer on them. Put switch in “store” mode. I don’t bring them inside. It would have to get to -70 before the batteries would freeze. I’ve had no problem. I could just keep the trailer plugged in to a 20 AMP outlet; which worked by the way. But decided to go to battery maintainer. I also bought and installed on each cell a gauge that I can simply look at to determine water level. And I can easily add water through the gauge.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 01:53 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
Lombard , IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
Whether to use the converter or a battery tender depends on the relative quality of each and controller programming and modes. A high quality battery minder will generally be easier on the batteries and keep the batteries performing better vs. the range of stock converters used mostly because the design conditions for converters presume the batteries are in use not storage while the minders generally presume storage not use. Disconnecting them altogether is generally better still as far as the battery is concerned. Likewise if one is not using any aspect of the trailer for extended days or weeks while in storage, setting the switch to Store is easier on the batteries. The later model Airstreams generally but not always have the converters connected on the battery side of the Store/Use relay.

So the path one takes has to consider more than just the batteries. It has to consider how much and what kind of use the trailer and batteries likely will experience while in storage.

Hope this helps.
Hi Brian
I called Airstream and my new trailer has a WFCO WF-9855 multi-stage converter that according to the manufacturer will "float" charge the batteries at whatever current they ask for. He said if in storage and the batteries "ask for" 1 amp, the converter will supply 1 amp.
Does that sound right to you?
My plan is to store trailer continually for months when not in use while plugged into shoreline power.

Thanks for your detailed information.
Greg
Midwest Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 02:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Yes Greg, that does sound right, it will do a good job of keeping the batteries topped up without overcharging. It won't do a full 12-14 hour equalization charge at 14.6-14.8 V so you can do that when you take it out of storage. Only other issue is the slight possibility you loose shore power and don't notice before the batteries run down below 11.5 V. So if you visit the trailer twice a month or more not much risk of that either.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote