Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Point , NW
Shore Power Cord

The 30 amp shore power cord on my 1965 Safari has two straight blades set at an angle to each other, with an L shaped ground centered below. Grainger Supply's part number 1430P. On my first trip I visited three different camp grounds and found the shore power at each utilized a plug with the same two angled straight blades, however the ground was a half round style. Looks like a mouth frowning!
I do not really want to cut off my current trailer plug, although it might be necessary. I am wondering if anyone knows where I can purchase a adapter to convert the apparently older style to the newer? My trailer came with an adapter to convert my plug from the 30 amp configuration to the 15/20 amp wall plug so I was able to utilize the shore power.
I have searched this site and the internet, but have not yet been able to find one.

Stan
Sburg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
Instead of cutting off your current plug you could make an adapter by connecting a receptacle to a short length of cable and the male 30A RV plug on the other end. However, I think I would opt to replace the plug with the correct one. The RV plug you described being compatible with the RV parks is the current standard. I don't believe I've ever seen the type on your trailer in use at any of the parks we've visited over the past many years.
07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #3
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
wrong shore line plug

Hi Stan, well, you have the "wrong" type of shore line plug. Obviously, you want to match the RV parks and for that matter, any 30amp 120VAC rv receptacle (many rv owners put such a receptacle at their storage place). You will find life much simpler if you convert the end of your shore line to the RV 3 prong (round grounding blade). Then all the "standard" RV adapters will match you up to whatever configuration you run across. Most box stores have the RV style of plugs and of course most stores similar to Camping World have them as well as all sorts of adapters.
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
What you have (at least my best guess) is a dryer plug. They're the ones with the "L" shaped ground.

What you need is an RV plug. (OK, I linked to photos of the outlets because they are clearer than the photos of the plugs.)

It is important to note that dryers (and electric stoves which use a similar {but different nonetheless} plug to RVs) are usually wired to 220 volts. Plugging into these outlets can have dire consequences.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Before you modify anything, take a look at this chart:
Click image for larger version

Name:	configchart3.jpg
Views:	1803
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	172183
and tell us which plug you actually have. This chart is the only one I found with the "L"-shaped grounding posts you describe.

As long as the plug you have is the one in the right-hand column, second from the bottom, then it should not be difficult to make a 30-amp to 30-amp conversion, or cut off the plug and attach a new one of the right configuration.

If your plug matches the 20-amp or 15-amp configurations with L-shaped grounds, though, then it wouldn't be as simple.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Before you modify anything, take a look at this chart:
Attachment 172183
and tell us which plug you actually have. This chart is the only one I found with the "L"-shaped grounding posts you describe.

As long as the plug you have is the one in the right-hand column, second from the bottom, then it should not be difficult to make a 30-amp to 30-amp conversion, or cut off the plug and attach a new one of the right configuration.

If your plug matches the 20-amp or 15-amp configurations with L-shaped grounds, though, then it wouldn't be as simple.
The locking outlets in the chart don't match his description,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sburg58 View Post
The 30 amp shore power cord on my 1965 Safari has two straight blades set at an angle to each other, with an L shaped ground centered below.
they have curved blades to allow them to be twisted into the locked position.

A dryer cord, on the other hand, has "two straight blades set at an angle to each other, with an L shaped ground centered below." It's also a lot more common cord than the locking ones. It's my guess that someone put a dryer cord on. Seems like stuff like that happens. I know I have seen dryers with stove cords and vice versa in houses.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
The locking outlets in the chart don't match his description,
You're right. I was more focused on the L-shaped ground, and missed the straight prongs. I stand corrected.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
You're right. I was more focused on the L-shaped ground, and missed the straight prongs. I stand corrected.
However, it's a great chart. There's good information there. Now I can see myself trying to find it again in six months or a year.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If you decide to replace the plug be sure you wire the new plug correctly. It should be marked with at least letters that show where the black and white wires terminate. This is very important.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Asheville , North Carolina
Take a qick glance

Attachment 172183

I think the chart looks like the faces of campers they start off looking all happy. and the more repairs you do the more convoluted they look. Or perhaps the change comes after a few of those fire side gatherings with fellow AS folks.

'92 Excella 29'
'20 Ram 2500
AIR # 59179
Chillpoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #11
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
You might think about just buying a whole new 30 AMP cord with the correct plug. They need to be replaced every now and then anyway and don't cost a lot.
Good luck,
Joe
Old 11-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
I agree with Joe, just replace the entire thing with a new cord with the molded on plug. It hard wires in to a junction box.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
The 30 amp shore power cord on my 1965 Safari has two straight blades set at an angle to each other, with an L shaped ground centered below. Grainger Supply's part number 1430P. On my first trip I visited three different camp grounds and found the shore power at each utilized a plug with the same two angled straight blades, however the ground was a half round style. Looks like a mouth frowning!
I do not really want to cut off my current trailer plug, although it might be necessary. I am wondering if anyone knows where I can purchase a adapter to convert the apparently older style to the newer? My trailer came with an adapter to convert my plug from the 30 amp configuration to the 15/20 amp wall plug so I was able to utilize the shore power.
I have searched this site and the internet, but have not yet been able to find one.

Stan
When we bought our '66 Trade Wind over 6 years ago that's the plug that was on our power cord..it appeared to be original. I did not discover this until we were 'hooking' up at our first rally. We were nowhere to get an adapter so we dry camped that weekend. When home I bought a 30 amp plug and replaced the 'strange' one and also bought a 30 - 50 amp adapter.

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
1962 22' Safari
Augusta , Georgia
Replacing the cord is not a bad thought. I would certainly give it a good looking over and if I found any sign of worn or damaged insulation I would replace.
DGJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
The shore power cord you have sounds like it has marine connectors on it. If so, marine parts stores like West Marine have adapters that will work.

One of the "straight" or "pigtail" adapters below is probably what you need. Please post photos of the connectors on your shore power cable and the outlet you are attempting to connect to, and we can help identify which one will work:

http://catalogs.westmarine.com/WebPr...pagelabel=396#

Note: Marine parts are pricey, as they have to survive saltwater and a lot of abuse on the dock. You may find purchasing a new shore power cable with the proper connectors is cheaper than buying an adapter. Then, you can recoup part of the cost by selling your old cable to a boat owner (assuming it's in good shape).
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
What you have is the older style 220V plug used with welders water heaters and ranges.

You really need the 3 prong 30 amp plug Lowe's and Home Depot carry the right plug.

Ask or look for a NEMA TT-30P is the correct plug.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Point , NW
The dryer plug that vswingfield linked is the plug type on my trailer. It is apparently original, at least that is what the original owner stated. I have done more searching now that I know what I have, however cannot find an adapter. I will check with some boating folks. The cord looks to be in very good condition, if no go at a boat shop I will replace the plug.
Perhaps, I do not even need a 30 amp plug as long as the normal house plug is available at camp grounds. I plugged my trailer into my house with the adapter I have. I turned on all the lights, microwave and my portable air conditioner, all ran fine, did not trip any breakers. What do you think?
Thanks to all!
Old 11-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
If I were you, I'd put the proper RV plug on. If you want to use a house outlet, adapters are cheap and easy to find. See RV Cords and Adapters and http://tweetys.com/replacement-plugs-electrical.aspx for examples of your choices in cords and adapters.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Point , NW
Thanks for the link to Vintage Trailers, problem solved I think? They have an adapter to convert from a household plug to the standard RV 30 amp plug. Since I can now adapt from my "dryer plug" to household this will allow me to convert the household end to standard RV. This site and it's contributors are great! Now on to a couple of other problems.

Adapter 30A to 15A
Old 11-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Thanks for the link to Vintage Trailers, problem solved I think? They have an adapter to convert from a household plug to the standard RV 30 amp plug. Since I can now adapt from my "dryer plug" to household this will allow me to convert the household end to standard RV. This site and it's contributors are great! Now on to a couple of other problems.

Adapter 30A to 15A
I still think you should go the other way. That is, put an RV plug on and adapt to the household outlet when you use them. That way, when you have access to a 30 amp outlet at a campground, you will have a 30 amp connection instead of going through the household connector.

Having said that, my Trade wind still has the household type plug that a PO put on before I got it.

If you're going to change the plug anyway though, I'd go with the higher capacity one and adapt down when necessary.

By the way, you should be able to find those adapters locally. HD and WalMart may have them (it kind of depends on the store and who's keeping the shelves restocked). Just about any RV dealer will.