Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2019, 04:01 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is a Highway View Post
We left the front AS Connector to be used with the original cable
The Side Connector was replaced with the Smart Plug. So both can still be used
Now that is a good idea that I need to consider!
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:14 AM   #42
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Just a note:

An EMS would not have taken care of this problem. However you *do* want one on your trailer. Any suggestion that they are not a good idea ... not a good suggestion ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:15 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is a Highway View Post
We left the front AS Connector to be used with the original cable
The Side Connector was replaced with the Smart Plug. So both can still be used
That's one approach, but I wanted to move away from the original setup completely, for safety and ease of use. Once I did, my original power cord wasn't of much use, but there is a solution. Ten minutes work to cut off the old plug and attach the SmartPlug connector. Now I have a cord to use at home and I can bring it along as a spare on longer trips.

https://www.amazon.com/SmartPlug-BF3...7CRJ5ECQFGTE3N
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smartplug.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	342533  
Old 06-05-2019, 09:54 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
IMO, as an engineer, the plug worked and failed as designed.

The root issue is that you were pulling more power than the systems was designed for. By analysis and the fact that the breaker tripped, we know this is true.

These power rated plugs are designed to fail gracefully, whether by overdraw or wear. It may not look like it, but that's what happened here. If the breaker did not trip, the plug would have continued to act as slow breaker in the chain, ultimately disconnecting the trailer and containing the damage. Preventing the next weakest link, possibly deep within the trailer from failing or setting fire.

It's a reasonably cheap and easy fix.

Upgrading to a proprietary plug just invites other potential challenges 1) Cord compatibility if you're in a bind and lose or break your own 2) What's the next weakest link in the chain? Hopefully that one is designed to fail gracefully as well.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:55 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
hi @sealevel
i did the same thing

i have two chords. one that stays with the AS
the other stays at home
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:18 AM   #46
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
IMO, as an engineer, the plug worked and failed as designed.

The root issue is that you were pulling more power than the systems was designed for. By analysis and the fact that the breaker tripped, we know this is true.

These power rated plugs are designed to fail gracefully, whether by overdraw or wear. It may not look like it, but that's what happened here. If the breaker did not trip, the plug would have continued to act as slow breaker in the chain, ultimately disconnecting the trailer and containing the damage. Preventing the next weakest link, possibly deep within the trailer from failing or setting fire.

It's a reasonably cheap and easy fix.

Upgrading to a proprietary plug just invites other potential challenges 1) Cord compatibility if you're in a bind and lose or break your own 2) What's the next weakest link in the chain? Hopefully that one is designed to fail gracefully as well.
Hi

I very much agree with that.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote