Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2023, 12:25 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Seelevel II Tank Monitor power issues

The Seelevel II tank monitor is far more sensitive to "voltage ripple" than the other 12V appliances plugged on the 12V circuit. Voltage ripple is rapid voltage fluctuations, in this case most likely produced by the converter. Older converters were more prone to this than the newer models.

In my case when the trailer is on the road, it's the batteries supplying the 12V to the circuit and to the Seelevel. When setting up at a campsite if we plug into shorepower without disconnecting the batteries from the circuit by putting the battery disconnect switch in Store mode, more often than not the Seelevel display will "act up" with gibberish including an error condition such as Opn meaning the tank sensor(s) is not linked to the monitor panel.

On the other hand, when setting up at a site, if we first disconnect the batteries from the 12V circuit by setting the switch to Store mode and wait 15-30 minutes for the capacitors in the Seelevel monitor panel to empty before connecting to shorepower, then all is fine. Although this procedure works, it is a PIA.

From experience, and a call to the Seelevel manufacturer, it would seem that my monitor doesn't like the jolt the converter gives to the fully powered circuit when the batteries are connected. Reconnecting the batteries later by putting the Use/Store switch to Use mode doesn't affect the monitor. The solution would be to power the Seelevel from the batteries (which is the case when we boondock) and not the converter.

There doesn't seem to be a 12V fuse in the panel for the Seelevl? Is this correct?
Has anyone connected the Seelevel directly to the battery, or to the 12V bus? Would you put an inline fuse, or would you use one of the empty slots in the 12V fuse panel for the Seelevel?
Does anyone know how the Seelevel is wired to power?

Thanks for the input.
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 12:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
If you don’t have the manual for your trailer…you could start by pulling fuses one-by-one until you discover the one which disables it.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 08:17 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Baker , Louisiana
I see some of these posts are old. But I am having trouble with the display on my seelevel II. I have noticed the number segments have been dropping out overtime. Today when I disconnected shore power and hooked up my tow vehicle, I noticed the reading is only a “t”. Regardless of pressing tank readings or battery voltage readings. I do see that the gauge goes blank if I turn off battery power. Going to leave it like this tonight. Maybe it will reboot in the morning.
Mtbyland is offline   Reply With Quote