Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2015, 04:24 PM   #1

1976 27' Overlander
Solvang , California
Replacing UniVolt with ProgressivevDynamics

Hello and thanks in advance for any help. I am replacing the UniVolt power unit with the PD 9200 in my 1976 Globetrotter. Thus far everything's is working with the exception of the Power On light in the Control Panel. The UniVolt has a 3rd white wire to connect to the fuse panel for that circuit. The PD 9200 does not. Where do I connect a jumper to complete that circuit so that the light is on when city power is connected?
Cheers, John in Solvang, Ca.
mogfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:26 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
Power On Light

Hello Mogfrog. If you do a search on this forum and ask for info on "power on light" you will get all the info you need. When I did my 88 I had the same problem and the fix is dificult so I just pluged an LED night light into a 115VAC receptical and that will illuminate when connected to shore power.
Happy camping nm1oqrz
nm1oqrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:59 PM   #3

1976 27' Overlander
Solvang , California
Thank you nm1oqrz

Yeah, Im embarrassed to say that I did not use the quotes in my search. Good info there after new search. I like your approach. Just happen to have an LED night light. Cheers. John Wright
mogfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile power on light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogfrog View Post
Yeah, Im embarrassed to say that I did not use the quotes in my search. Good info there after new search. I like your approach. Just happen to have an LED night light. Cheers. John Wright
Dittto using led nite light w/out any mods.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 02:31 PM   #5
Gazoo!

1963 19' Globetrotter
Denver , Colorado
Having a '63 GT that doesn't have a Univolt, i'm faced with installing a power unit such as the PD-9200 unit 45amps. Question I have is wrt the 12v circuit display panel that I'll also want to install. any advice is appreciated in this regard for which system is appropriate.
Thanks!
Gazoo
Sweneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 04:58 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweneau View Post
Having a '63 GT that doesn't have a Univolt, i'm faced with installing a power unit such as the PD-9200 unit 45amps. Question I have is wrt the 12v circuit display panel that I'll also want to install. any advice is appreciated in this regard for which system is appropriate.
Thanks!
Gazoo
Sweneau. I hope I'm understanding your question correctly and answering correctly.

With the PD 9245, you'll need a separate 12V fuse block to connect your positive output from your converter. I also placed battery input at the same point (with a circuit breaker from the battery). Then use an auxilliary grounding lug for the neg./ground side of the converter and the battery side negative. Unless your distribution panel has these integrated (mine didn't).
Old 04-17-2015, 06:47 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Replaced orig. Univolt in our 67 Overlander 8 yrs ago with a PD9130R which failed under warranty. PD replaced it promptly at no cost to me. Knock on wood, still working well with an 8 yr old Optima battery.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:09 AM   #8
Gazoo!

1963 19' Globetrotter
Denver , Colorado
mnmhays,
Thanks for reply and advice. Understand fully the wiring setup you describe. Wondering though, i'm used to seeing in older trailer setups (not AS) the power unit being visible (flush with wood framing) and having shore power tied into it there as a central unit. Circuit breaker for 120v feed and circuit breaker for 12vdc input/output. I'm gathering that I need to put a kit together then?
Thanks!
Sweneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:27 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweneau View Post
mnmhays,
Thanks for reply and advice. Understand fully the wiring setup you describe. Wondering though, i'm used to seeing in older trailer setups (not AS) the power unit being visible (flush with wood framing) and having shore power tied into it there as a central unit. Circuit breaker for 120v feed and circuit breaker for 12vdc input/output. I'm gathering that I need to put a kit together then?
Thanks!
In mine, there is a breaker box with 120v shore power coming in to it. I only have 1 breaker (but space for another) because I have no air conditioner. From the 120V breaker box wires are run to feed 120v outlets in the TT. My original setup with the Univolt had 3 strand romex wired into the univolt. The PD9245 has a standard plug on it, so I wired an outlet and secured it to the wall. My converter sits on the floor of the bathroom closet. I will have a hinged panel over it to allow access. It goes without saying...make sure everything is grounded well.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The power on light on Airstreams was fed from a special Univolt exclusive system, and is not easy to duplicate with a modern converter/charger. It can be done, but is realy not worth the effort, other than with a museum quality restoration. And if doing a museum quality restoration, you want an original Univolt anyway. That is about all they are good for these days.

Just don't connect the power on light wire to anything when doing the conversion, and if yu want to see if power is on, use a little neon night light plugged into one of the 120 volt outlets in the rig.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:48 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile Converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmhays View Post
In mine, there is a breaker box with 120v shore power coming in to it. I only have 1 breaker (but space for another) because I have no air conditioner. From the 120V breaker box wires are run to feed 120v outlets in the TT. My original setup with the Univolt had 3 strand romex wired into the univolt. The PD9245 has a standard plug on it, so I wired an outlet and secured it to the wall. My converter sits on the floor of the bathroom closet. I will have a hinged panel over it to allow access. It goes without saying...make sure everything is grounded well.
Putting on floor in box covering with lid cuts ventilation as they need air, have fans built in to cool. In my opinion you will fry it from heat also I believe install directions state so many inches all around so it can breathe. I have Intelapower & powermax both state clearance. I may have both names of these 2 mixed, still same specs.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:56 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Putting on floor in box covering with lid cuts ventilation as they need air, have fans built in to cool. In my opinion you will fry it from heat also I believe install directions state so many inches all around so it can breathe. I have Intelapower & powermax both state clearance. I may have both names of these 2 mixed, still same specs.
I suppose that I should have been a little clearer on my placement of the converter. The hinged panel is the closet shelf bottom, per the original design. My converter is mounted similarly to the original univolt's placement. The "box" is effectively a 30"w X 20"d X 16"h space at the bottom of the bathroom closet.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:35 PM   #13

1974 23' Safari
Sacramento , California
hi there...any experience with old blue and white wires from TT and uni volt system (blue panel w/ glass fuses)...I have new pd4045 and want to make sure I connect these to the correct location...
Maker1622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 04:38 PM   #14

1974 23' Safari
Sacramento , California
QQ....where do the blue and white wires (heavy gauge previously connected to uni volt panel) connect on new converter/panel etc.?
Maker1622 is offline   Reply With Quote