Old 09-16-2020, 04:48 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Durango , Colorado
Replacing converter

I have a 2007 Safari SE 20 ft and from reading all of the questions on converters, I decided I have a bad converter. I am replacing the Parallax 7355 with a Progressive Dynamics 4655VL. To avoid switching out the DC board (which I think would be impossible due to how the Parallax is currently wired) I have to purchase the "remote" to go with the PD product. Problem is, this "remote" is really not a remote -- it has a wire (large) that will have to extend under the converter panel cover then be placed somewhere. My converter is below the refrigerator with little to no space to place this remote. Has anyone else had to deal with this? Any suggestions? Should I send the whole thing back and just get another Parallax replacement converter?
jamulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 05:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
Look at the Victron energy converter/inverter. We have the 3000w model and it works with ac,solar and lion batteries very well

When the ac source is lost, you don't lose ac inside as the inverter is running
You can also monitor and control it from your phone or web portal
waninae39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 05:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
The remote is optional. You don't need to install it and it won't affect operation. I have the remote and mostly just ignore it. You can use it to tell what charge mode it is in (yawn, i can guess from the battery voltage) or to force it to stay in a particular charge mode (yeah I don't do that). But it has a fairly long lead so you find a place for it if you really want to.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:15 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Kensington , Maryland
Consider velcro and install the "remote" inside the fuse panel. It will be out of sight and really no need for ready access. Just pop the panel should you need to bump into a different mode.
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:25 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Durango , Colorado
Wininae39 -- I'm just trying to go an easy route with this replacement. We just replaced the batteries with two AGMs and I don't want to complicate my life more with solar. We live in an area that has an RV dealer, but they refuse to work on Airstreams --"they are too complicated!" The closest AS dealer is a 4 hour drive.

BayouBiker -- I need to purchase the remote if I don't want to change out the DC board, which I think would be almost impossible because it is not arranged the same way the current DC board is. The wiring connections on the new board would require lengthening some of the AS wires. Something I'm not prepared to do. Also, like you, I think I would seldom use the remote.

Too tall -- That seems like a reasonable option, but will it fit in that narrow space? And the wire is so long, I would have to cut it and rewire the connector.

At this point, I'm thinking about returning the PD4655 and buying the same Parallax 7355 converter (bottom half). I know I will be sacrificing the 3 stage charging, but at least the install should be a lot easier! Thanks for everyones comments!
jamulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 04:52 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Kensington , Maryland
Jamulian,
Talk to Randy @ >> http://www.bestconverter.com/Ask-Randy_ep_18-1.html

The remote would fit inside the panel. I decided to slip the wires under the frameface and velcro it next to the panel...than covered it with a piece of frog tape (that is temp.) so the light blinking didn't make me nuts

*This is the same converter 4655
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	remote.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	378889  
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote