Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2018, 01:58 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Fayette , Alabama
Replacing a 1970 newmark converter to what?

I have just purchased a 1969 27' overlander. I have been looking at the old style Newmark, power converter, battery charger. Model DCV 50 f. I guess that would be something I need to upgrade. It has a loud HUMMMMMM to it. Ideas on what I would need to accomplish this. And any other upgrades that would be associated with this. I am familiar with house wiring and some vehicle wiring.
NoStew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Progressive Dynamics converter chargers are popular replacements. If your converter contains your fuses, you'll also need a fuse box.

Are you planning any other upgrades in the future, or do you just want to replace the converter?

Progressive also makes some nice AC/DC power stations for those rewiring their trailers. If you were adding an inverter, some inverter models have converter/charger capabilities which eliminates the need for a separate device. If you were considering using lithium batteries in the future, you'd need a converter that could handle that charge profile.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:23 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Fayette , Alabama
My plan is to get the electrical components up to date. We do not plan on using any gas for power, it will all be shore power or generator. So when i plug into 120 volts, the hot water heater, refrigerator, ac unit, and the lights work. It does not look like anything has been updated in a long time, and I'm sure there are alot better components on the market. I do not plan on lithium anytime soon, although that may be a mistake.
NoStew is offline   Reply With Quote