Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2018, 05:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Herndon , Virginia
Replacement battery hold down wing nut and shaft

My 2014 Intl Serenity 27 has a battery setup that looks like the pic below. The large wing nut and the shaft it attaches to are badly rusted due to a leaky batt box which I think I've fixed. However, I don't know where/how to get a replacement nut and shaft (or what they're called). Battery hold down searches show me every different type of bracket, strap and bolt except the one I need. Assistance appreciated. 66coupe.

66coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:29 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
It's just threaded rod, stores like Home Depot, Lowes, ACE all carry it in various sizes and lengths.

Remove the one you have and match it at the store. Don't buy bare threaded rod, that will rust. Either go for the zinc plated or expensive stainless steel.

I expect you will have to cut the threaded rod to the right length.

Replace the big wing nut with a large washer and nut. It will do the same thing. If you want to get fancy you could make your own washer using a rectangular piece of plastic or like.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:39 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Replacement battery hold down wing nut and shaft

I hope this works. Ignore the battery type, focus on the tie down rod in the picture.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/show....php?p=1940295

I bought that threaded rod from Home Depot as I needed a longer one to accommodate the 2x 6volt batteries.

You can see the rectangular "washer" I made too.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Until you find a real purpose made one, the threaded rod is 3/8", and you can use a large fender washer (I put a large rubber washer under mine), then a 3/8" wing nut. All found at Lowe's.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote