Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2016, 04:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Mobile , Alabama
Send a message via AIM to Greg N Send a message via Yahoo to Greg N
Remote on/off of inverter no workie!

I have a 2010 30' Classic that has a inverter Mod.WF-600T... The remote that turns it on has stopped working... You can turn it on with the on switch on inverter itself... I removed remote switch from wall and connected it to the inverter with a new phone line to eliminate possible issues with phone line in wall and same problem, can not energize inverter with remote switch... So any body experience this issue and if so what was your fix?

Thanx
Greg
Greg N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutrodeo View Post
I have a 2010 30' Classic that has a inverter Mod.WF-600T... The remote that turns it on has stopped working... You can turn it on with the on switch on inverter itself... I removed remote switch from wall and connected it to the inverter with a new phone line to eliminate possible issues with phone line in wall and same problem, can not energize inverter with remote switch... So any body experience this issue and if so what was your fix?

Thanx
Greg
Greg,

First, the 'phone line' used for your inverter is not, in fact, a 'phone' line but a data cable. One RJ-11 plug is reversed in it's color orientation from the other so that when you place them facing each other with the detachment nib in the same orientation (with both up or both down), the colors line up.

I'm not a service tech for WFCO, as my exposure to their products has been to remove them for upgrades with Magnum or Victron components, but you might try using a 'data' cable wired directly to the inverter before looking to replace the remote control panel.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:57 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Mobile , Alabama
Send a message via AIM to Greg N Send a message via Yahoo to Greg N
Short cable

So maybe thats why there is a short line thats added to the phone line from the remote jus before the inverter, thats where the reversal takes place?

Greg
Greg N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutrodeo View Post
So maybe thats why there is a short line thats added to the phone line from the remote jus before the inverter, thats where the reversal takes place?

Greg
Airstream typically uses a single, continuous cable from the inverter to the remote's location in the galley wall, at least on all of the units that I have worked on. WFCO typically uses a narrow, 4 conductor only plastic RJ-11 'type' plug, but it is too small to properly fit into any standard RJ-11 port which accepts either 4 or 6 conductor RJ-11 plugs. Magnum inverter/chargers require the 6-slot standard RJ-11 plug, which I install onto the existing 4 conductor cable that's present. Victrons use a Cat-5 cable.

You might have an issue with either a cable end or a union if Airstream used one to lengthen an improper length cable. If you have the standard sized RJ-11 cable, you might try reversing one of the end RJ-11 plugs to see if that will get communication between the inverter and the remote.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote