Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2018, 07:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rock Island , Illinois
Red Light Still on in Store Mode - Battery Disconnect Switch

We are 6 weeks into our 1st trip with our new 2017 25' FC and I knew the batteries were so so from the get go so have been checking the water level every 5 days or so. I noticed in the last 2 days that our converter fan has been turning on with increased frequency, often times at night with nothing turned on. Checked the batteries today and one battery was warm and could smell the rotten eggs. One cell was really low on water so topped that off. I didn't want to further cook the batteries so turned off the shore power and hit the Store switch on the battery disconnect panel. The red indicator light turned off like expected. When I switched the shore power back on, the red indicator light is now back on. I repeated the process to make sure I did in fact hit the switch to store mode. In store mode, shouldn't the red light be off regardless if you are plugged into shore power? Per the owners manual, if switch is in Store Mode and plugged into shore power, the converter will still power the DC loads but not have the battery charger on. If the red light is on, does this mean I'm in use mode? The batteries have not gotten any hotter in the last hour so hopefully everything is well. REALLY appreciate the help from all you guys!!
Sammy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:10 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Surry , Virginia
The red light will always be on with shore power on. With no shore power it will accurately tell you use or store.
NukeSubSailr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Sounds like at least one battery is bad, perhaps from "lot rot" due to improper storage at the dealer. I would pull the batteries and have an Interstate battery dealer [assuming that is the correct brand] test them. They will replace them under warranty on the spot.

The 800 number for Airstream in your Owner's Manual might also be a good place to check in, along with your AS dealer.

Good luck!

Peter

PS -- If one battery is bad you should replace both.

Search results using blue box above for "battery bad rotten eggs" --

https://www.google.com/search?q=batt...=airforums.com
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:36 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rock Island , Illinois
Thank you for the clarification. It seems counter-intuitive to have the light stay on but now we know. I was worried that I might have a melted battery this morning but everything is fine. Will have to replace them when we get home.
Sammy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Yeah, the light goes on when 120v. is present.
The other quirky light is the water heater that has a light that only illuminates when it's failed!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
The other quirky light is the water heater that has a light that only illuminates when it's failed!
Yes, that left me buffaloed the first few times we used our Airstream ...
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote