Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2004, 11:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Broomfield , Colorado
Recommend Battery locations...

My 63 Safari is a clean slate - its stripped and I am totally rebuilding the interior and would like to know if any of you have any recommendations for where to put the batteries (I think I am going to use Two, since we boondock a lot).

I could mount them on the tounge in place of the spare, or inside some where. I am not sure of the venting requirements for batteries if I put them inside. Any preferences either way?

Where can I find more of those rubber Gromets used to protect the wiring going through the studs?

Thanks for your opinions.

Kevin
mbatm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 01:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Good Question

Hi Kevin,
I can give you general info on batteries, since I'm not too familiar with the 63 Safari. I love boondocking, too, and recently installed two Trojan 12v size 27s which meet my needs.

Mounting the batteries on the A-frame is a good idea since it places the weight over the tongue which is a good thing for towing (as long as you don't exceed your maximum tongue weight). Mounting them on the A-frame also permits proper venting when charging acid batteries and permits easy access for maintenance.

The second option uses gel batteries for inside installation. These do not require venting and can be mounted practically anywhere inside. The negative, however, is cost. Gel batteries cost about $200 ea.

The third option is to mount acid batteries inside using special vented battery boxes. I recented bought and mounted two which vent to the outside through two hoses which attach to an outside vent. I can post pics if you like.

The fourth option is a special compartment specifically for a battery in your 63. Most of that age, however, only have room for one.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 04:09 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Broomfield , Colorado
Mike,

Pictures of the vents and hoses would be great. Are gel batteries worth the expense, or should I just use those vented boxes? Depending on the size of the vents, I have some existing holes in the shell that are unassigned and I could rig something up with those.

How long do your batteries last when boondocking? We are planning a minimalist electrical configuration. Primarily, I would use the batteries for lights and power to small 12v appliances as needed. I am thinking of using a catalytic heater, so I would not have a furnace fan draining the batteries - do you think I could get away with one battery?

Thanks for your reply.

Kevin
mbatm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 04:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

A 12 volt 305 amp hour gel battery fit nicely between the original battery boxes. See attached picture. It is low profile so the sofa does not even come close to touching it.
Gel batteries are not cheap but if you keep them charged and avoid allowing the interior of your AS from getting blazing hot inside, like closed up in the sun in the summer time or freezing in the winter you should get many many years from them. I had some batteries last more than ten years. When they get real old and you let them discharge completely just once, that's it, they will not come back.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 05:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

I can't post the picture in this thread, but go and find my thread 'Inverters again' in the forum and you can see the battery.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 06:29 PM   #6
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
where to put the batteries?

as close to the loads as possible!

keep your batteries as close to heavy loads as possible, inverters come to mind.

the shorter the wire run the smaller wire you can use.

john
Old 11-03-2004, 06:43 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

El Paso , Texas
Send a message via AIM to aztlanco
Rivet To Tinsel Loaf;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsel Loaf
I can't post the picture in this thread, but go and find my thread 'Inverters again' in the forum and you can see the battery.
Tinsel Loaf, I'm looking for a set of battery boxes like the "originals" and not the one in the middle of your picture that I saw in the thread "Inverters again". What year is your r.v.? Can you post a picture of the outside access doors? Thanks,
Ernie
'58 Traveler 18ft.
aztlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 06:51 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Exclamation Special charger

Last time I researched Gel cells, they required a special charger, has this changed, or are they still needed? If so, a Univolt may not charge them properly.
Terry
Old 11-03-2004, 09:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I'm using el cheap o's from walmart 27 series going on the 3rd year with them. They may not be the best but for $30 who cares.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 07:55 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Kevin,
I'll post some pics as soon as I fix my camera. I'm having trouble transfering pics from my camera to my computer.

Mike

4CU 1st VP

Old 11-07-2004, 03:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbatm01
Mike,

Pictures of the vents and hoses would be great. Are gel batteries worth the expense, or should I just use those vented boxes? Depending on the size of the vents, I have some existing holes in the shell that are unassigned and I could rig something up with those.

How long do your batteries last when boondocking? We are planning a minimalist electrical configuration. Primarily, I would use the batteries for lights and power to small 12v appliances as needed. I am thinking of using a catalytic heater, so I would not have a furnace fan draining the batteries - do you think I could get away with one battery?

Thanks for your reply.

Kevin

Kevin, Here are the pics I promised you. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Mike

4CU 1st VP