RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-26-2021, 12:54 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Poulsbo , Washington
Quick question about charging

I just picked up my new 2021 25FBTB GT and one of the features that sold me was the multi-stage charger. In my last Airstream, I would disconnect the batteries when not camping and attach a trickle charger to keep them topped off. That worked fine. But now with this new charger, I would like your opinion about leaving the trailer connected full time to shore power (120 v) - are there any concerns? I assume that it will top off and then float? That would greatly simplify storage, and no - I don't have solar on my new unit. I just don't want to damage my batteries or charger by leaving it connected full time.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
dford77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 02:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
In theory, the newer chargers are safe..they won't cook your batteries. But regular LA acid batteries require more care and maintenance than more expensive batteries. Leaving any kind of charger on them means you need to periodically check and add water and really should check specific gravities. For my money, I wouldn't leave any "electric charger" on a battery full time. No doubt maintainers are safer but I had two respected-brand maintainers self destruct when connected to my sports cars. Fortunately the maintainers smoked, the cars were fine. If your trailer is outside a small solar cell is a better idea. If it is inside, periodically connect your trickle charger to keep the batteries topped off.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 02:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Probably a good idea to check the specific language in your owner's manual, and to get written [email] feedback from the dealer and Airstream, confirming the best practices for your specific setup [incl. exact battery and converter/charger specs] IMO.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 03:06 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
I leave mine connected to A/C. To me, that is the point of a multi-stage charger. I have wet cells so I check them monthly.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
My neighbour keeps his trailer plugged in all the time and hasnít had any problems.

I mounted a solar charger on my trailer to keep the Battery up it works well in summer.

I leave the radio on the help keep mice away and in the winter the solar panel canít keep up when it snows or is cloudy so I plug the trailer in with a timer so I charged 8 hours a day at night when time of use rates are lower.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 06:04 PM   #6
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by dford77 View Post
I just picked up my new 2021 25FBTB GT and one of the features that sold me was the multi-stage charger. In my last Airstream, I would disconnect the batteries when not camping and attach a trickle charger to keep them topped off. That worked fine. But now with this new charger, I would like your opinion about leaving the trailer connected full time to shore power (120 v) - are there any concerns? I assume that it will top off and then float? That would greatly simplify storage, and no - I don't have solar on my new unit. I just don't want to damage my batteries or charger by leaving it connected full time.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Is the AS remotely in storage?
24/7 on the converter,(any) is most confidently done with regular checking.
I have never done it, nor would I if remotely stored.

I have two vehicles in the garage on battery maintainers, and the AS & boat with batteries installed, fully charged and disconnected.
POI...still inspected regularly.

Consider continuing with the tickle charger,(maintainer)routine.👍

Bob
🇺🇸

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
I keep plugged in while in storage. My converter is a Progressive Dynamics 4655. The factory installed charger was single stage.

Although I check water levels, I almost never have to add water.

Question for AldeanFan: What type of music repels the mice most successfully?
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:45 PM   #8
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
^
RAT Music?

Bob
🇺🇸

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaDog View Post
I keep plugged in while in storage. My converter is a Progressive Dynamics 4655. The factory installed charger was single stage.

Although I check water levels, I almost never have to add water.

Question for AldeanFan: What type of music repels the mice most successfully?

I havenít tried any other stations but the news/talk radio station seems to be working and it comes in clear.

I havenít caught any mice in the trailer since I started playing the radio, before I would catch one or two in the fall/winter.

Maybe the neighbourhood cats are taking care of the mice for me, itís not a very scientific test, but the trailer appears to be mouse free lol.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote